News Android claims 75 percent of smartphone shipments in Q3, 136 million handsets sold

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by RajaPraveen, Nov 2, 2012.

Share This Page

1. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

Android claims 75 percent of smartphone shipments in Q3, 136 million handsets sold

[​IMG]
    Android devices already counted for a lion's share of phones shipped during Q2, and now fresh IDCfigures show Google's OS claiming the top spot with a hefty 75 percent marketshare in the third quarter. In total, 136 million Android handsets were shipped during the time frame, a new record in a single quarter. Even with the help of new hardware, iOS lagged behind in second place with a 14.9 percent stake of handsets. Both Blackberry and Symbian clung to their respective 3rd and 4th place spots, making up 6.6 percent of total shipments. Windows-based phones (both WP7 and Windows Mobile) fell to 2 percent, keeping Microsoft in fifth place just above smartphones running Linux. However, withWindows Phone 8 devices making their debut, we wouldn't be surprised to see Redmond's numbers get a boost when IDC's next report rolls around.
    [​IMG]

JD666 likes this.
  2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Honestly speaking not surprised. Android has been going strong, with iOS on it's steady growth. Symbian dead in the held-end market and BB killing themselves off.

I expect minimal change in the Android market share for the next report, but definitely a drop in the Symbian, iOS and BB, with Windows 8/7 taking up most of that pie, simply because Nokia fanboys would get their new W8 based Nokias for their old Symbian top phones, and those who want a polished-no-fuss-awesome-out-of-the-box-experience will shift to W8 from iOS, also W8 seems like an excellent business phone.

3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

The big issue is the 56% share that GB still maintains.

Fragmentation is out of Google's control.

JB has just a 2-3% share

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

where is your god now?

5. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Still waiting for that one os that would impress Me..

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2