Anyone use a Halogen Oven in India?

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by Luciffer, May 31, 2013.

Share This Page

1. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

Luciffer How much did it cost you ?

You think it's better to go for this rather than microwave ? Keep in mind, I am a veggie.

Also, is there some specific utensils for used in it or any microwave safe utensils can be used ?

Luciffer likes this.
  2. Luciffer

Luciffer Satan Spawn Staff Member

The MRP on the unit is 7K .. (Rs 6995)
    Since it's very new on the market.. most places seem to sell at MRP & very hard to get at a discount.
    However, the best price online now is at Snapdeal, who're having a sale.. for 5.6K

Usha 3212 Halogen Oven: Buy Online @ Snapdeal India

This is a heating cooking device.. so No. Not all microwave safe utensils will work good in here...
    But all Oven safe utensils will. Eg: Metal baking plates which can't be used in a microwave will work in this.

But for your most important question:
    The short answer is NO NO NO NO and absofrigginlutely NOOOOOOOOOO
    There is absolutely No substitute for a multi-function Microwave.
    That is the single best purchase that you'll Ever make for your kitchen.
    Am not talking about just a microwave.. I'm talking about the multi units..
    Mine has Microwave / Grill / Convection oven / Barbecue / Rotisserie
    But whatever combo that you can get.. so long as microwave and Convection is present is good.. the more the merrier :)

I can go on for pages about this.. this is one thing that I bought first wherever I went..
    But better for me to show you whenever you come over .. hopefully for the next meet.

But in short..
    MICROWAVE: Great for heating / re-heating of most foods.. coffee etc. You cannot however re-heat things like Naan properly in there. Heats from the inside out.. so good to reheat things like curries, etc. However is absolutely Useless to cook anything. can just reheat already made foods.
    CONVECTION: Like a regular oven but rotates the hot air around your food, thus much faster than a regular oven.
    GRILL: Heating element on the Top.. heats from the top down for foods you want heated more on one side.. like a Pizza
    BBQ/ROTISSERIE : Great for things like roast/grilled chicken or Paneer Tikka etc.

Now.. each of these things are great on its own.. Microwave being the most useful.
    However what a multi-function Microwave does to absolute perfection is use a Combination (Combo function)
    that uses a combination of these functions to cook the food.

For example.. for roast chicken or paneer tikkas.. it uses the grill on the top to cook the food with a charred/crispy taste on the top..
    Then uses the rotisserie to rotate the food so that it cooks evenly,
    the circulating function of the convection to circulate the heat around the food..
    and finally uses short bursts from the microwave to heat the food from the inside.
    The food comes out perfect.. and for a roast/grilled chicken.. the chicken is moist and not as dry as from my regular oven (which also has a rotisserie)
    AND IT TAKES 16-20 Mins to roast the chicken as opposed to well over 3 hrs in the oven!!

Like I said.. I can go on for pages about this.. have been using microwaves as my PRIMARY source of cooking for well over 2 decades now..
    But to answer your question again.. the halogen oven just lets you cook some stuff that even the multi-function microwaves can't handle properly..
    and is a handy addition to .. but absolutely no substitute for the microwave!!

MohitGamer likes this.
  3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Damn we need a separate thread for this

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

can someone post tl;dr version of those walls of text.

5. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

I read it all; and it was really informative.
    I am not buying anything for my kitchen ever again without consulting him. :thumbup:

JD666 and Luciffer like this.
  6. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

..... and the missus obviously :D

MohitGamer likes this.
  7. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member