News Apple announces 7.9-inch iPad mini with a 1,024 x 768 display, A5 CPU and optional LTE for $329

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by RajaPraveen, Oct 24, 2012.

Share This Page

1. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

Apple announces 7.9-inch iPad mini with a 1,024 x 768 display, A5 CPU and optional LTE for $329

[​IMG]
    Well, hello there, the worst-kept secret in tech. Apple's iPad mini is the company's newest device, a 7.9-inch tablet that's designed to go toe-to-toe with Google's Nexus 7. For now, it'll sit alongside the iPad 2and fourth-generation iPad, and as it packs the same 1,024 x 768 display as the second-generation slate, apps will carry across without any resizing. While Phil Schiller didn't mention Google or the Nexus 7 by name, the rival slate (and Google's app library) was compared to the newest iOS device. On stage, he claimed that the screen, which is .9-inch larger than the Nexus 7, gives the iPad mini 35 percent more display area than Google and ASUS' collaboration.
    On the hardware size, the 7.2mm thick, .68 pounds device has been manufactured with an "all new" process that gives it the same anodized edges as you'll find on the iPhone 5. If you were hoping for equal specifications to the big-daddy iPad, you may be mildly disappointed. While it will pack a 5-megapixel camera and an LTE modem (if you opt to buy a cellular model), it's running the last-generation A5 CPU. However, the slower internals and less potent display may account for how the company has been able to squeeze out a claimed 10 hours of use despite the constrained space for a battery. Pre-orders for the $329, 16GB WiFi-only model begin on Friday (October 26th) and will begin shipping on November 2nd. The cellular-equipped models will begin shipping a few weeks afterward on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, with the 16GB base model costing $459, running all the way to $659 for the 64GB unit.

2. RajaPraveen

OK, let me the frist one to quote the obvious, not even 720p but they ask 329$? what were they smoking?.

I see fail banging on apples door.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Not going to happen. People are going to think of reasons to want to buy this one to complement their collection of a phone and a pad. Maybe to use in the loo or while skiing or some stuff like that. Just wait and see.

On a serious note, this does make the ipad family accessible by 100$. Oh and they spoke about the new iPad 4 also right? They are planning to launch it first week November.

4. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

tatti screen. just like note 800.

5. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

nexus seems better?

6. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Bigger iPhones n Smaller iPads .. yea the magic is finally catching up with reality.

Waiting for Google to hit the slam dunk on 29th Oct.

7. Fireblade

Fireblade Trance@ddict

ill hold out for mini 2 but damn they did get me salivating ..

iPhone 5 for now

JD666 likes this.
  8. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

Will buy this to replace my Google Nexus 7 that has a cracked screen.

Moral - You pay less you get flimsy shit.

9. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

so your nexus broke because it was cheap?

10. RajaPraveen

I guess cheap or no cheap, all products have their own quality issues, my mac-book pro even today screams like hell(i even made a youtube video of this issue and i am not the only one having this issue) and heats up like an oven and i paid almost 90k for that lemon.

I am not defending Nexus7 and i have read about the many screen issues nexus 7 has all around the internet, but that is not because its cheap. Asus has been an OEM for many super reliable products.

I guess different brands serve different people so if apple serves you well stick to it and never ever change.

Google

11. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer