Discussion Apple iPhone SE - Trend of things to come?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Mar 22, 2016.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I am so happy that Apple launched the iPhone SE. The iPhone 5S was a compact and powerful device. However as software progressed, the age of the hardware became evident.
    Manufacturers moved onto 5 inch and larger screens (6+ for some!) However the sweet spot for some was still sub-5 inch.

Sony kept true to the market by the Z2/Z3/Z5 compact series, that included flagship hardware, inside a form factor that was much smaller at 4.7 inches.

Apple took the leap with the iPhone 6 and bumped up the screen size to 4.7 inches. Xiaomi also brought the Redmi 1S/2/2 prime at the 4.7 inch mark. A comfortable size, but no where close to the compact nature of the iPhone 5s.

What I like -

- iPhone 6S processor (guessing the RAM would be the same as well)
    - 12 MP Camera/5MP front cam
    - Bumped up front camera
    - Front screen flash
    - 4K recording
    - 240 FPS Slo-Mo recording

What I don't like -

- Same design as the iPhone 5S with minor tweaks.
    - Battery could've been bigger, though it gets bumped up from 1560 mAH to 1642 mAH.

What the SE gets from the 6S -

- Retina flash - Front screen flashing
    - NFC
    - All the camera goodies above

What it doesn't get -

- 3D Touch (Which I can happily live without)
    - Some network improvements - Can be lived without
    - No word on the faster Touch ID - Again can be done without.

What Apple has done, and I must commend them on this, is listened to consumers, and provided a device that they will use. Heck, I would happily switch from my 6S to this SE. There isn't anything that it does not have, and I miss.

What is interesting to see is how the competition will respond? Will we see a slate of Minis from Samsung? Or Compacts from Sony ( I doubt Sony would jump in). However Samsung ruled out the S6 Mini and launched the A3 (2016 model - A310) as a S6 Mini of sorts, but with exactly half the processing power and RAM.

At about 24,000 Rs for the 16 GB model, and about 30,000 INR for the 64 GB model, this makes for a very good deal!

2. JD666

So the good bits are that the SE packs the same RAM (2G:cool: as the 6S.
    The battery difference between the SE and the 6S is not much, 1642 vs 1715 mAH.

But crucially, the 4 inch display is much smaller and has lesser pixels to be driven. This should make the battery life better than the 6/6S.

The part that I find wrong is Apple quoting a launch price of 39,000 INR in India. This is such a big deterrent. Especially considering that it is slightly lower than a new S7.

Might just be the undoing of a good device..

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

3. JD666

So the SE out scores the S7 (Both 820 and Exynos) and the iPhone 6S. With lesser number of pixels to push, it does feel evident.

However, it also out does the iPhone 6S in battery life by about 20%, which is a lot! Considering that the iPhone isn't exactly endowed with good battery life.

Wondering who to offload the 6S to, so that I could give the SE a go :p

4. JD666

And it appears that Xiaomi is one of the first ones to take this up. Rumors and images of a HD display 4.3 inch SnapDragon 820 device are floating around on the internet.

5. JD666

Got the SE as a family gift for the niece. Bought the Rose Gold color (what else to make it stand out from the 5S).

Had it for a week before I gave it to her.

- It was great to go to a 4 inch screen. The portability and ease of single had usage was unparalleled.
    - The device is crisp and fast like a blitz. Super responsive.
    - Browsing with multiple tabs open does not stress it at all, akin to the 6S/6S Plus.
    - Camera is at par with the 6S. Capture speed has no difference. Quality is the same. The plus point? No protuding ring.
    - Battery life was better than 6S. So a plus there.
    - Did not miss 3D touch. Don't use it on the 6S/6S Plus either.

On the whole, I'd recommend this as the entry point for anyone looking at going iPhone. The 6S hardware ensure future scalability and upgrade options, vs the 5S which is running hardware that's 2 generations old.

Stuge likes this.