Discussion Apple Watch sales slide. Could it be a dud?

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Jul 10, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

From initial sales of over 200,000 units per day, to an average of 2000-20,000 units per day (US only), the Apple watch had an initial order pile of 2 million units. But after the euphoria, the sales have been sluggish, or rather not what they are for an Apple product.

apple-watch-selling-points.jpg

Apple has made duds in the past as well, however I'm sure there would be two sides to this story. If we look at a premium wearable device, I'm pretty sure the iWatch out does the competition. If you look at the predicted/anticipated sale figures, it's well short of the prediction of 40 Million units. Current predictions post 10-11 million this year, and between 21-24 million next year. I highly doubt that figure would be hit.

Apparently the 18,000$ variant has also found limited buyers, with about 2000 of those sold. 2000 is a decent number, considering that you are selling something that is nearly double the average Rolex, and will last 1/20th of the time a Rolex would.

Tracking prices online over here, I was looking at a 42mm Space Grey watch with sport band. This had come in at over 4000 AED or nearly 70,000 INR. Current trend after 3 months of being in the market and this is available for as little as 34,000 INR. The smaller 38 mm variants are even cheaper, going for around 24-25,000 INR.

I did get a chance to check one out in person (38MM). True to Apple, the damn thing has been made really well, and the feel, fit and finish is super. The 38MM was quite small for my wrist, and is more suited to petite people.

And to be honest, I am yet to see one on a person's wrist here. And that is saying a lot.

Interesting developments nonetheless. Wearables are here to stay, but converting the masses to buy one is still a challenge. Could it just be a fad?

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

So the apple watch sold about 7 million units. And Apple Watch 2 is rumored to be coming soon.