News Apple's IOS 6 Maps Debacle: You're Drivin Me Crazy And I Distill Can't Type

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by RajaPraveen, Sep 21, 2012.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

Apple's IOS 6 Maps Debacle: You're Drivin Me Crazy And I Distill Can't Type

I'm wiring this story on y iPhone this morning because after my upgrade to "the worlds most advanced operating system," iOS 6, I got Los in New Jersey on my way to work.
    Ok so that's not entirely tue. i am on my iphone (couldn't you tell?), but I got to work just fine. I know my office is in manhattan. Yet concerninly, Apple'a new maps app does not. And even after I gave apple my location (Chelsea) and specifically asked it to locate aol's office building in "new York, ny," it tried to send me to Bayonne, New Jersey. Fortunately, Apple maps doesn't offer transit directions, so it couldn't tell me how to get there. I'd have to search a different service altogether for that information,, which hopefully, had i not known my destination, would have set me straight.
    [​IMG]
    With its new upgrade, apple, the company built on intuitive devices and an "it just works" philosophy, has committed the ultimate sin of making our lives more difficult, not less. For all its brainpower and talent, it has bafflingly taken two of the things we do most on a smartphones -- look for directions and type -- and either made them worse or left them bad. Mobile devices are at the core of the most pivotal, high-stakes battles being waged in the tech world. ANd yet there's Apple, making sure that the things we spend the most time doing on our phones -- as crucial to their business as ours -- will be more difficult, frustrating and inefficient. That isn't just bad for us. It goes without saying its also bad for apple.
    With iOS 6, my google maps app --seven years and several million dollars in the making -- was replaced by apples new-and-improved maps app that features a beautiful 3d flyover view of major cities, but completely unreliable location information and a 5 ear-old tourist's sense of direction.Lexington avenue, what's that? Brooklyn somewhere? Berlin? Never heard of it.
    The list of apple maps bloopers includes missing "chunks of road," imaginary railway stations,invented airports, renames towns and erased buildings. Apple even misplaced its own Apple store in Sydney.
    And what iOS changed with maps is, in my opinion, just slightly moe important than what it failed to chnge with the new release: autocorrect on iDevices is as poor as it ever was.
    Though iOS 6 will support "autocorrection for every keyboard" for the first time, meaning typing via external keyboards will also have autocorrect, apple announced no new upgrades to its au correct technology. Which means we"re stuck writing like this, or else wasting time rewritig words while poking a our phones to try to delicately make a change. In the Soon-to-be-released version of Hoogle's (and for the record, autocorrect just switched my correct "googles" to "Hoogle's" right there) Android operating system, the predictive keyboard has been upgraded with a "new predictive algorithm" Engadget calls "hugely noteworthy." I can't wait to try it. Already, Google's keyboard shows multiple laternatives for misspelled words as you type, no extra clicks necessary, and helpfully gives you the option of manually adding a word to the phone's dictionary directly from the text field you're typing in. On the iPhone, reaching autocorrect a new word (or adding chosrtcuts for phrases) takes a more dedicated effort. Android alo lets users choose which keyboard to use. Don't like the default one? Just download another.
    To be fair, Apple's autocorrect isn't all bad. But one of Apple's key strengths, one that has helped it command such a dedicated fanbase, has been its ability to anticipate what we'll need and intrdocue incrementally better experiences with each new release. We've come to expect that a new Apple device will find a delightful way to make our lives easier, even in some tiny way. And in that sense, an unimproved utocorrect is a letdown.
    Though different surveys offer slightly different answers, , searching for directions and typing consistently rank among the top uses for smartphones.
    Apps offering "maps/navigation/search" are one of the most popular categories of apps, according to a 2011 pew study, which found that 51% of app downs losers had used an app in that genre in the month preceding the survey. Accorsinf to the wall street journal, 90 percent of iphone users use google maps.
    It seems doubtful as many will use Apple'a maps app.
    "If being able to navigate is important to you," te Australian business review told its readers, "we'd recommend that you not consider upgrading to iOS 6 for now."
    If wing able to communicate is important to ou, you might consider looking elsewhere too. You wouldn't lose your way AND the meaning of what youre trying to say, wojld you?
    Sent from my iPhone

2. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

the girl sure needs to get her english straight and then her navigational skills .. in that order that is .. or else she will forever be a laugh on the blog and pain on the road

JD666 likes this.
  3. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

For a native speaker this is really really bad English, but yes iphone's new maps are pathetic a lot of people have personally confirmed.

4. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

^^ i agree to both your comments
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 21, 2012 ---
    in fact i have been fascinated by the City Lens app from nokia... just saw a SRK ad .. looks like a cool feature.. hopefully it works properly in india

5. RajaPraveen

LOL, that's the whole point she wrote this article from her iphone, she is cursing the iOS 6 keyboard's spell check for her mediocre English in this article, i think you guys did not read the article properly.

"I'm wiring this story on y iPhone this morning because after my upgrade to "the worlds most advanced operating system," iOS 6, I got Los in New Jersey on my way to work."

She works as an Executive Tech Editor at The Huffington Post and you guys simply concluded she is so easy to find fault with that even TheMightyS calls her english bad. :)

here is another article she wrote.

Will Apple's Empire Decline Like Microsoft's?

Bianca Bosker

harryneopotter likes this.
  6. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

^^ my post was in as much sarcasm as hers' .. and just that she got to write in the tech section doesnt make her a genius.. in fact it shows how stupid she is to not being able to disable Auto-Correct.. also
    are not corrected by auto correct..

7. BANHAMMER

Some of it seems a bit too far fetched to be auto corrected?

8. RajaPraveen

She can write proper english,the auto correct screwed it up,she made it pretty clear and i am sure most of them who read the article would have understood that as well.

HUFFPOST COMMUNITY MODERATOR
    General Public
    Microbiologists have found my microbio contagious.
    2252 Fans

4 hours ago ( 3:31 AM)
    The comments by people pointing out the spelling and grammar errors in this article completely miss the point, which is that the iOS 6 AutoCorrect messes up spelling and grammar. The author simply showed us all what happens if you type something in iOS 6 on an iPhone and go with its spelling "corrections", as well as discussing how the maps are much worse now. Those are all very good points. And keeping the spelling and grammar errors introduced by the iOS 6 AutoCorrect in the article, that is the whole point. I can't believe how dense some of the people commenting on this are.
    source : Bianca Bosker: Apple's IOS 6 Maps Debacle: You're Drivin Me Crazy And I Distill Can't Type

JD666 likes this.
  9. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

the density appears to be either in her extra large fingers to misspell this much..or in her eyes to confuse and forget so many letters

exactly what i feel

10. RajaPraveen

I am going to trust her words against yours because in all her other articles her English is absolutely fine. You are just replying over and over again completely missing the point of the article so i am going to stop replying to your posts in this thread unless it starts to make sense.

JD666 and initpidzero like this.
  11. BANHAMMER

Dude, you are getting into pointless debates. No need to go into it any further, thank you.

RajaPraveen: I think you have made you point kind sire. I think this debate can rest in peace now.

JD666 likes this.
  12. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

pointless??? do u even in your wildest dreams think that can be auto corrected and is not OTT.. her english is and will be fine .. but she , in her over enthusiastic manner , has blown the auto correct feature and its short comings (if there are any) over the top.. and i just tried to point that out.. nevertheless even i have decided to IGNORE all posts by people who in their enthusiasm to despise apple fail to see whether the post should be in the JOKE section or the NEWS section and then expect people to make sense ;)

13. BANHAMMER

DUDE YOU ARE BEING POINTLESS AGAIN. YOUR POST IS REPEATING THE SAME THING. PLEASE ACT A BIT MORE MATURE AND BLOODY STOP COMMENTING ON AND ON AND ON, EVEN WHEN SOMEONE LIKE RAJAPRAVEEN HAS CLEARLY WITHDRAWN FROM THE DISCUSSION. AND I AM HIGHLY ANNOYED WHEN YOU RANT FOR NO ?#@*&%!^$~ING REASON

14. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

15. BANHAMMER

THREAD CLOSED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.