Article Awesomeness Of LateX

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by fleshfragger, Aug 13, 2012.

Share This Page

1. fleshfragger

fleshfragger RAID Rookie

If you dont know what I am talking about, then you should probably read this first.

LaTeX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whenever we wish to create some e-documents, instinctively we use some word/text editor. In the process, we invariably face a plethora of problems, the most prominent being the loss of document formatting. MS Word is an excellent option, still there are some version compatibility issues i.e:-whenever we open some document created in some primitive version of word, in a newer version, the whole formatting is a complete mess. Images suffer the most. The layout becomes haywire and obnoxious. Open Office and Libre Office are not competent enough. I also tried Google Docs and Think Free Office suit, but was not satisfied.

Now I was searching for alternatives, and stumbled upon Latex. I must say that it packs some serious firepower. Power comes from control, and Latex's forte is control. Latex is the best word formatting tool I have ever come across.

I started playing around with LateX, exploring its features. The first major task I undertook to test my LateX programming skills was developing my project report documentation. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. I was confident due to my previous experience. It took me one whole day to get the design for the first page ready then writing the content went on for quite some time. The whole document was perfectly formatted, thanks to some easy commands. The automatically generated contents page, the bibliography section, automatic page numbering, self updating references to pictures and tables etc made the whole experience enjoyable and lucid.

Next, I created my resume using LateX. After some R&D, I came across a package known as "moderncv" and was again completely enchanted by its way of depicting things, and its power.

LateX is the best way to create documents. It has a steep but an enjoyable learning curve.The possibilities are endless.

Here are some important tutorial links:-

Getting Started with TeX, LaTeX, and Friends - TeX Users Group

LaTeX - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

TeX - LaTeX

Happy typesetting :)

initpidzero and JD666 like this.
  2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

LateX is aesome, if you knno what you are doing.

3. DaRampage

DaRampage RAID Rookie

I still don't get the correct idea of what is actually LaTeX.
    Can you clear doubts of my dumb mind by giving an example??

4. vasishta.sushant

vasishta.sushant Some title...

And I thought Latex was kinky. :confused:

JD666 likes this.
  5. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

LateX is a word creator software,
    i donno if you have ever used Wordstar.
    latex is like html, you edit it as text and software creates a file out of the tagged text file.

6. fleshfragger

fleshfragger RAID Rookie

DaRampage:- Check out those links :cool:
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 14, 2012 ---
    [​IMG]