Buying Advice Buying a Laptop .. gather around folks.

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by dbg, Jun 7, 2012.

Share This Page

1. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Whoops .. my bad.

2. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

Hello ! New here. Your samsung laptop discussion brought me here :)
    I'm planning to buy samsung NP550-P5C S01IN ! I would be using it mainly to write articles and surf the net along with gaming and entertainment in my free time. I wanted to know about the build quality and durability of this laptop. Need it for 5 years atleast. Also, if its a good choice overall ? Wanted to buy Lenovo Y580 but as its not available in India, I'm planning to buy this.

dbg and initpidzero like this.
  3. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

hey dude welcome here, do make a thread about yourself in introduction section.

4. harryneopotter

harryneopotter NEO is my middle name ! Staff Member

it would help us a lot in recommend u suitable option if we you can tell and budget where will u be getting it from !

5. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

My budget is 50k ! And I stay in Nashik, 200kms from Mumbai. I have all the major laptop showrooms in my town so I would prefer buying it from a local retailer

6. dbg

rnp

Hi, I got this laptop for the same requirements that you are looking for. Had it for 2 weeks now.

At 50k this is the best laptop in the market & Why ..
    1. 1600x900 Screen 300nits Bright Screen.
    2. Nvidia 650M
    3. 1TB HDD
    4. JBL 2.1 Speakers

I had my mind made up for a Ultrabook but the main setback was the 1366x768 resolution which were present.
    Samsung NP550 & the Sony E14A are the only laptops which offers a higher resolutions.

Samsung is clearly comes out on top in Specs and I managed to get a good deal as well.
    For being future proof, A higher res screen matters more than beefy hardware as per my experience. Samsung has both.

Apart from the usual package, the extra goodies I liked were.
    1. Easy Software Manager - Takes care of installing & keeping your System Drivers updated.
    2. The Touchpad has all those 'cool' Macbook type Multitouch gestures .. Two-Finger scroll, Three-Finger Zoom & Four-Finger Swipe.
    3. The neutral grey color + metallic finish gives it a classy & clean look.
    4. 1.3MP Bright Webcam.
    5. 15.6" Matte Screen keeps away the glare.

Cons:
    1. The screen isnt suited for watching movies, due the Anti-Glare its doesnt have a good contrast ratio.
    2. Laptop tends to heat a lot during heavy gaming. The cooling system is pretty standard and not meant to take on the full load of an i5 + 650M
    3. The keyboard in my laptop is 'squeaky' ..

Although its too early to tell about the build quailty (I judge it on basis on bumps its can survive), the build feels solid to me.
    I would still rate Sony E series laptops better built than this.

Let us know if you need a more thorough review.

7. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

expensive parts specially battery which costs a bomb not very reliable.all of my office guys have been given dell one has hp.one of the dell laptops an inspiron mini even after getting the screen fixed has collapsed again.what i mean is suddenly the screen goes haywire it becomes a blizzard of lights.it flickers loses resolution does dancing moves horrible :(

8. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

Portability isn't high on my list ! 2.5kg is ok for me. I need performance and this laptop seems to have enough firepower for that. I totally love the specs this laptop offers. Just was skeptical about its durability and service. As of heating, wont do much extreme gaming often, so shouldn't be an issue. Just, the quality and service. If both these things are even above average, I am buying this laptop

9. dbg

I'll let you know about the Customer Service as I have to get my laptop checked out . there is stuck pixel on the screen which is bugging me.

10. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

Thanks ! I just checked in the near by croma showroom. They said the laptop isnt available since 3 months and wont be available for quite sometime. When i told them that flipkart has this lappy, they said they won't give you warranty and all, like they promise. Was strange to hear that :/

11. dbg

Go to a Samsung Exclusive Store & try there ..

Flipkart will give you the full warranty, don't worry.

12. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

i hope you will get it in this era ...or just before this thread reaches the 50page mark

13. dbg

:lol:

14. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

15. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

Trust me, I wish the same :p
    :soclose: