Buying a Second Hand Car.

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by Monkee, Jun 3, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Monkee

Monkee RAID Rookie

So I've just moved to Gurgaon, and before you people pounce on me about what cars to buy, my dad will make the final decision and I need indisputable logic to put something forth to him. Used to drive a petrol Swift Dzire in Chennai, which I loved before we sold it ( stupid decision trail ) at 22k km before we moved here.

We drove a diesel Laura yesterday and my dad asked me why the hell was the engine so noisy and making so much of a ruckus ( when it was on average with other diesels, well, mostly the Rapid that I drove for a few days in Hyderabad, and which I rather liked ) so based on that he decided that it's not feasible to get a diesel. Note that he's driven only petrol vehicles his whole life. Practically everything ranging from BMWs that we had to Land Cruisers that we used for desert drives while we were in the Middle East, to Nissan Sentras ( the US name for the Sunny ) to the supersilent Nissan Quest minivan.

He's looking at something that will be feasible for us for the next 2 years in Gurgaon since we'll probably move to Bangalore after that. Range is anywhere from 3-4L ( 5L is a little much for the next two years ) and he REALLY doesn't want to get a diesel vehicle. Unless it's silent.. which is kinda impossible cuz I think they all sound like tractors =/. I do like the feel of that Rapid though.

We went to a few dealers yesterday with a mechanic and he instantly shot down the vehicles with reasons like "bana hua hai" and "bekaar hai" and all that but showed us an i10 for 3L, 40k km that looked like utter shit inside. Dunno if he has a hidden agenda and all, but we just want a good vehicle that won't cause problems for two years. That said, for the best part of half an hour, my dad considered an Accord auto for 3.5L.

Anyway, I'm located in Gurgaon, checked out Quikr and OLX for stuff, but would like inputs from you guys.

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

A big NO for the Accord, if it breaks down now, you'll be spending more than that to just get it fixed.

3-4L second hand.

3 big questions -

1) Sedan or hatch? i.e. if you don't mind driving around in a good condition hatch, rather than an older sedan.

2) Average running - Will tell you whether petrol or Diesel

3) 4L also brings in some new cars like Beat petrol, Spark, Alto K10, A-star, Santro top model, Eon etc. Would that be a consideration? No fuss and trouble for 2 years, and you can either transfer it to BLR, or sell it here.

3. Monkee

Monkee RAID Rookie

1) Doesn't really matter if it's sedan or hatch to be honest.

2) Dunno how much the running will be. Until I get a job that is.

3) Don't think my dad will want to get a new vehicle here since everyone plays bumper cars =/.

Anyway, while we were talking, he had called, and he says we're not in a great rush and we can wait for a good deal to show up =/. Either way, it'll be good information.

Also, my dad wants to get a second hand car here so that we needn't worry about transferring to BLR, where he intends on getting a new car, since that's supposed to be our last move.

Gotta keep in mind that the new cars may not be as feasible since I just got into the A-Star and it's got crappy legroom. I could adjust in my Dzire, but I will not get into a small and uncomfortable car.

4. JD666

For 3-4L second hand you can get good deals on Swift Petrols and Ritz etc. I would recommend a Hyundai, since they age better than Suzuki.

You could even get a 2008-2009 Hyundai Accent for that much.

Running is subjective, unless you are doing a fixed 50+ kms everyday, petrol makes more sense.

Also consider Etios Liva Hatch if any for sale. Good reliability, though not that tank like feel, but sturdy enough to last quite well.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  5. JD666

Since you've already checked OLX, here are some good deals that I recommend looking into.

Ritz-P 2010 , 3.65L , 27000KM , Insurance till 04/2014 , Single Hand Driven Car - Gurgaon - Cars

The 27,000 kms does sound too good to be true on a 2.5 year old vehicle, but a check of the service history and tyres would tell you if it's genuine or not.

This is a more genuine sale -

I want to sell my brand new i-10-magna-1.2 - Gurgaon - Cars

This one has done quite a bit, but then you can haggle on the price and spend the rest of the budget doing it up with new tyres, seat covers, alloys maybe even. The model is not too old, and its the more powerful 1.2 -

hyundai i ten magna 1.2 - Gurgaon - Cars
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 3, 2013 ---
    This is a really sweet deal, provided you know how much it's going to cost to register it in Gurgaon.

brand new july 2011 model ford figo black for sale - Gurgaon - Cars - Sushant Lok

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Monkee: 1 Point Jun 3, 2013
  6. Monkee

Monkee RAID Rookie

Hey thanks a lot!

7. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I know a lot about cars more than anyone else here but I will help you if and of if you say "Chennai is so so much better than Delhi NCR" and "Chennai totally rock and Delhi sucks."

8. JD666

Delhi sucks, always has, now please enlighten!

9. BANHAMMER

that is for Monkee to say, doesn't count when you say it.
    and when he says it I will
    secretly call you to get the real stuff and post it as if it was me who said it, got it?

JD666 likes this.
  10. JD666

Rotfl

11. Monkee

Monkee RAID Rookie

Dude no. Definitely not. Chennai blows. Unless you're there. Then it rocks.

JD666 likes this.
  12. JD666

Any luck with the car hunt??

13. BANHAMMER

BOO to you!!!! how dare you say that.........
    Chennai was best city in India by some random agency poll.

14. Monkee

Monkee RAID Rookie

Well, dad's eyeing his realtor's car, since the guy is a good driver and such. I'll keep this thread updated.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 5, 2013 ---
    Would that agency be based in Chennai? :p

15. BANHAMMER

whatever, north or south chennai is the best!!!!

16. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

DONT OT !

17. BANHAMMER

Make me stop!!!!

18. JD666

Last i remember the DRDO and a number of other international agencies are still working on that

initpidzero likes this.
  19. BANHAMMER

[​IMG]

20. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

LOOz.. you suggest a suzuki vehicle and then ;) why?
    I hae driven both too and have friends who have both too and Hyundais are not for second hand buyers. that is why their rate in the market is low.