Buying Advice Buying New Lappy, People Help Please

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by rnp, Sep 8, 2012.

Share This Page

1. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

Hello guys, want to buy a new laptop for daily home use. My budget is 50k and I stay near Mumbai. Need it primarily for writing articles and blogging, secondarily for gaming and movies/music. Would use it for 5 years at least, so should be durable and provide good service. Short-listed :
    1. Samsung NP550-P5C-S01IN
    2. HP Envy 4 Sleekbook (core i5 third gen)
    3. Dell Inspiron 15R.
    Help please. really liked the Samsung model but not sure of its quality and service. So please help guys

2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Are you looking for a portable device?

You can buy extended warranty on Samsung & DELL laptops.

DELL has better Customer Service.

In 50k Samsung gets you the best config.

3. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

High performance over portability ! This laptop exceeds all my needs with the screen resolution coming as a bonus. Just haven't heard right things about samsung after sales service. As I would be using it for half a dozen years, I want a quality product with good service. Don't wanna be spending money on repairs every year..... Also, what price u got it for ? And, would be very convenient if u can compare its build quality with something like hp or dell :)

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Anything besides thinkpad would not last that long may be dell latitude dxx or old fujitsu

5. dbg

I've been using a Sony Vaio for the last two years. Sony seems tougher than his though its also bulkier.

Try to get your hands on one at any major Electronics retail store. You will get good feel of the laptop.

Purchase extra warranty, Samsung has an offer right now. Get upto 4 years warranty, and should be covered.
    A friend at Samsung got me an Employees discount so it cost me 46.8K (10% off) .. :D

5-6 years is a very long time for any laptop. Any life a laptop has beyond 4 years is a total bonus .. IMO.

harryneopotter likes this.
  6. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347110516.791781.jpg Then this dbg has completed two lives and running... .. The mousepad gave away in march.. Tried fixing it but cudnt

Runs nonstop 12hrs everyday.. Replaced battery.. Added ram and extra storage for win7 ..

Tapatalk on iPhone 4S to the rescue

7. dbg

This deserves its own thread :D..

8. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

i thought u'd say MUSEUM ;)

9. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

I maybe old fashioned, but yes I am a very gentle user. So should work 5 years for me easily. And ya, I am trying to get my hands on this model, but with no luck so far. About warranty, I know I can get it extended, but the question is 'Is their service good?'

10. dbg

Honestly can't comment on the Support service .. yet.

the Sales Service was pretty good though .. :)

11. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

Yea right ! One last thing, what's YOUR final verdict as u own it yourself ? Must buy, good option, average or not so good ? Considering the performance, quality and all that stuff of this lappy and also considering 3 rival laptops I mentioned. Your final advice to me that is :)

12. dbg

I am fully Satisfied with the purchase .. I looked around for 2 full months before deciding. The only laptop that I considered before this was the HP Envy Sleekbook.
    I would say go for it and being the gentle user that you are you'll have a good time.

Must buy at 50k

13. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

From a service point of view, I believe Dell and Lenovo would be best. We have had a Compaq ( suspiciously similar to the one mightys has and just sold it after over 5 years ), a Lenovo, a Toshiba and an Acer.

The Toshiba is a recent purchase, however though I was quite impressed by its VFM ( its an entry level 20k lappy ). The Lenovo was ok ok, however easy to service / access / clean etc.

The Acer is the best feel of the 3, however from what I understand, Acer ASS ( after sales service ) sucks.

Sony Vaio series has proven to be a good alternate, in terms of build quality/functioning.

No idea about samsung.

rnp likes this.
  14. dbg

Samsung has pretty good service in Household Electronics

15. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

no no no no. We bought a Samung Washing Machine + Refrigerator + AC combo from them. The only damn good things they make are Washing Machines. However this is about a Lappy. What has the OP thought of till now?

16. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

Same has been the case with me, searching since a month ! First i selected Lenovo ideapad y580 only to realize its not yet available in India. The second laptop which i have really liked is this Samsung 550p ! I'll get my hands on it and feel it, and if the service is good in my city (which i will get confirmed from a trustworthy hardware guy), I'll buy this laptop ! Thanks for all the help everyone on raid101 :)

17. harryneopotter

harryneopotter NEO is my middle name ! Staff Member

have u given any thought about ultrabooks ?

18. rnp

rnp RAID Rookie

I actually wanted to buy an ultrabook when I first saw them. But the low clock speed they offer is a problem as I would be sometimes if not often