Death for Rape. Whats your take?

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by JD666, Dec 19, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Really??
    If you do not have anything constructive to add, please don't.

As far as fixing society is concerned it has to start from us and our families. Start there, and you have done your part.

2. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

I read some law makers might just take some radical steps to punish these criminals as this crime is in a totally different classification and has a lot of media/country attention.

3. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Don't be a ?#@*&%!^$~ing idiot and don't tell me what to write and when to write. This is totally a relevant question. You are talking about changing an entire generation of people who are grown with a mindset typified by lack of education and worst of all lack of better life. Everyone holds some of these core values forever. If you live in this kind of setup, your own family has to follow those set of societal rules. I have lived in these part of world, only way to change is to move out of there. These things are developed over such a long time(1000s of years) they are like weed which will grow no matter how many times you cut them. Only way to deal with this thing is making very harsh laws and making examples out of those who violates them.

4. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

A social revolution is long overdue in India .. given the great disparity in our masses it become harder with each coming year

JD666 likes this.
  5. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Some of us are idiots according to you? Perhaps you should introspect how much moron you appear when you try to force sarcasm without understanding a perfectly legit viewpoint.

Oh suddenly your words are gospel and we are idiots.

If you are so smartass, I guess you could have easily guessed that no one can change what is already rotten. Only way forward is to fix the current and upcoming generation. Punishment is and can never be be all end all solution to eliminate vices from our deeply entrenched society.

Oh I forgot I am a ?#@*&%!^$~ing idiot and you are a genius.

Next time you try to use harsh words, watch your mouth. I certainly do not like people who cannot see and think clearly in a debate and resort to swearing.

6. BANHAMMER

again, I asked a question simple question. you went on Instruction mode as to what I should be doing or what I should not be doing, you have no say in that matter.
    no my words are not gospel, though I might have been wrong on using the word idiot.
    punishment install fear, which is one of biggest deterrent. Between now and past time and again, history has taught us that lesson, there is no denying that.
    I think clear and alright, but I do not like people who tell me what to write and what not to write, it is a free place where I can certainly ask question when I really don't see the argument was specific.

7. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Guys! Calm down please!

8. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

In all honestly knowing you, your comment was more of a sarcasm rather than anything. It is not greek or latin I wrote which needed comprehension with a encyclopedia. May be you in fact meant it, but it did not appear to me.

Anyway, I will say at the risk of repeating - Punishment is a band aid solution. Fear is a deterrent but not the solution we should be aiming at. As a stupid analogy, there are many punishable laws in this country. But people still commit crimes. Why?

Let me give you a example. In Canada, most of the Sub stations or rail network drop points do not have a ticket checker. Still everyone buys ticket to board the train. If you ask any citizen, why do you buy the ticket when you can practically travel for free since no one checks for ticket. You 'll be surprised to hear the reply. Acc to them, if they do not buy the ticket, the railway/metro corporation will incurring losses. To check that, they will appoint a lot of Ticket checkers. This will incur more expenditure. Who will bear it? The travellers in the form of higher ticket prices. Do they want it? Certainly Not.

It is just a lame example from first hand experience of someone I know.

Today I went to a zoo here in Bangalore, and I can see idiots with no civic sense. I find such morons everyday on road behind a contraption called a car. They are running suicide packs. Do you think a fine will fix it? A fear of fine in right words, if I may?

No it will not. let us see where is the problem in this case? Problem is in the way they are taught how to drive. Driving schools teach shit all the time. Most of drivers have been taught by their father or friend or some accomplice who himself never went to a proper driving class. Getting license is so easy, if you have contacts inside the RTO office. This should be fixed. In other words a proper test along with a driving class which is legit which will instill proper discipline in people.

Let me give you an example how this even affects the other people. I drive a SUV and whenever I see some pedestrians crossing, they freeze even though I am no where near to their crossing line. Why? I mostly try to slow down or stop to let me pass. I get puzzled looks from pedestrians, why? Because people who drive SUVs are considered maniacs, people who drive carelessly on roads. This is wrong, very wrong,

Such idiocy fundamentally alters the societal view of a certain class, which is clearly wrong.

Similarly, if we keep following some Tau or Dadaji's retarded advice that girls should not do this, girls should not do that, we start interpreting it in ways we should not. This balloons up as a male section who presumes that women are objects, supposed to be subjugated or can be mistreated since they are supposedly inferior to men with gonads.

Not exactly same but I hope you ll get the drift.

9. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

All clear Captain.
    We just had a rough storm on shores.

Ship is back on track.
    No worries!

JD666 likes this.
  10. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Any updates on the case? if you're done raping each other? :ntdg:

11. dbg

A constable that was injured during the protests at Raisana Hills succumbed and has died .. between the cries of capital punishment for the rapist .. coincidentally its a Policeman who is one to lose his life.

The girl is still in critical condition despite multiple surgeries ..

Political figures are coming out the woodwork .. A week now after the incident, voicing their grief and opinion on the matter.

Some sort of tussle going on between Delhi CM and its Police heads .. blame game.

Opposition has been steering clear of this matter for now ..

Govt' has said it will fast track this case and hopefully have a chargesheet withing 7 day, A conviction perhaps 2 weeks following that.

I suppose the one accused who actually will be held responsible for attempted murder shall be getting the death penalty. Rest will get lifers for rape.

12. dbg

So today was the formal Arraignment of the 5 accused rapists.

The Arraignment is when the judge reads out the charges framed against the accused. The trial begins after this.
    All 5 accused have pleaded 'not guilty'.

The five accused are
    Ram Singh, a bus driver,
    his brother Mukesh,
    Pawan Gupta, a fruit seller,
    Vinay Sharma, a gym instructor,
    Akshay Thakur, a bus cleaner.

A following 13 charges under the IPC have been filed against them with the highest being murder that carries a maximum penalty of death.

302 (murder),
    307 (attempt to murder),
    376 (2)(g) (gang-rape),
    377 (unnatural offences),
    395 (dacoity),
    396 (murder in dacoity),
    365 (kidnapping or abduction with intent to secretly or wrongfully confine a person),
    394 (hurting in dacoity),
    201 (destruction of evidence),
    120B (conspiracy),
    34 (common intention),
    412 (dishonestly receiving stolen property)
    397 (robbery or dacoity with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt).

The police & prosecution claim they have a strong case backed by DNA evidence, Physical evidence, Phone records, Confessions & a the eye-witness testimony of guy who was assaulted.
    Saket court has scheduled the trial to begin on Tuesday, 51 days after the heinous act was committed.

The sixth accused who was earlier declared Juvenile will be tried separately.

On a personal note .. I was going through the comments on the various online news article(which I usually avoid) and it really disturbs me how comments were about people enraged by the "not guilty" plea and even suggested the defense lawyers should also be punished for their involvement in the plea & trial. People demanding tougher laws but in-turn have respect for the legal process.

I worry that a death penalty here will be treated as "victory" by the public at large and immediately after people will go back to the normal routine thinking they have "accomplished" something. The momentum needs to continue if we want to enact the bigger change.

JD666 and Rockfella like this.
  13. BANHAMMER

What if police picks up random people and beat them to confession?

14. dbg

As a matter of practice Police recorded confessions don't hold up in court .. The courts specially recognize that such confessions can be coerced so the accused is always protected from those. Innocent until "proven" guilty. The burden of proof lies on the cops & prosecution who must produce hard evidence .. Circumstantial Evidence + Confession will never lead to conviction.

JD666 likes this.
  15. BANHAMMER

actually, that may be true. but my point is if the former happens only a fair trial can help.

16. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

the rules have been made stronger, which should be applicable to this case as well.

In the event of rape leading to death of the victim, death penalty to be / can be given to the criminal.

In the event of rape/gang rape, punishment from 20 years to Life to be / can be given.

17. dbg

Has this actually happened ? - Can you provide a citation because I'm curious as to how the courts work with new laws.

I think the Rape leading to Death - would simply be termed as Murder .. IMO how you murder someone should not have bearing on the punishment you receive. This will create a very complicated legal precedent.

18. dbg

A fair trial is the heart of every criminal justice system.

For bigger crimes such as murder - the court's require huge volume of evidence to declare a guilty verdict. Its not that easy to spoof an entire trial (now a days).
    The trials do hold up a persons innocence more.. that's why you may see murderers walk than an innocent man go to Jail.

Now all this is from an academic perspective of the Legal-Judicial System .. reality as we know has its own course.