Developments in the Auto Industry in the Month of October

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by dbg, Oct 5, 2012.

Share This Page

1. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

[​IMG]
    OCTOBER 2012

1. Mercedes plan to launch a Sub-20 lac A Class for Indian buyers.

[​IMG]

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

A busy month October has been.

Some of the most important launches abound -

1) Mahindra Quanto - The slice and dice version of the Xylo ( looks better IMO ) was launched this month. Still to see one on the road in the flesh, but then there won't be much to see, since you'll see a Xylo that looks like its been photoshopped :D

Priced between 5.82 - 7 36 Lakhs with models numbered as C2, C4, C6 and C8 ( which frankly don't make sense to me ), it undercuts its rivals by a good 2 Lakhs nearly. However then its features/space are accordingly arranged. The High and commanding driving position in comparison to the Duster do make it slightly more appealing.

2) Tata Storme - The long awaited ( over 2 years ) Safari refresh has been finally launched. My only gripe being that the chrome lip looks like Kajol before she got her eyebrows done and they have still not reduced the height of the front windscreen, which would be more in place in a Green House.

The chassis has been upgraded to that of the Aria, and rigidity is supposed to be 45% more while weight being lower by about 50 kgs.

To be honest the vehicle still looks fresh after over 14 years of being in the market, though I would have wanted a better treatment of the lights/side panels.

The pricing was rumored to be a killer deal, but it still undercuts the Scorpio with starting pricing at 9.95 L to 13.6L for the 4X4 model.

What I like - The interiors have been refreshed and fit and finish is better ( from that model that I checked out at the expo in Jan 2012 )

What I would like to find out - How much of an improvement is the chassis, engine and gearbox.

3) Mahindra Rexton - What a relief they did not launch the older droopy eyed version. It looked like a bad case of drug rehab gone wrong. The pricing is a killer deal, with at 17.7 Lakhs undercutting several of the current market vehicles like the Fortuner, Captiva, Santa Fe, Fortuner etc.

The auto box is 2 Lakhs cheaper than the Fortuner. And for 20 Lakhs you get a First generation M-Class under pinnings. So come to think of it, you are getting a bit of Merc in your SSangyong ( hard to pronounce ) Rexton. :D

What I like - The VFM proposition it is.

What I would like to find out - Durability, quality, fit and finish and how it ranks up against the competition. Its definitely won it on the pricing front, everything else needs to be found.

3. JD666

The new Maruti Alto 800

Honestly, nothing new about it :(

Other than extending the life of the 2 decade old F8B engine, and which started from a humble 37.5 Bhp engine, to 45 bhp in the Alto 12Valve iteration and now to 49 Bhp in the new friction reduced, efficiency improved Alto 800. I guess thats the high point of the Alto 800.

What I cannot understand - When they had the chance, they could have gone for a new body styling, new doors, new configuration, something like the Jazz or Santro ( slightly tall boy and better engine packaging to enhance interior space ). This would have really changed the appeal, and made it into a killer deal.

What I think they did - Lets not be too radical about the whole thing, people recognize the Alto shape/platform, lets just build on it, rather then revolutionizing the whole platform.

Priced at 2.44 - 3.5L it undercuts the Eon and the Spark by a decent margin. Though the features like power windows look like an afterthought, rather than an integrated concept, the availability and option of a driver side airbag does indicate that we are moving in the right direction with such features making an entry in the lower segment vehicles as well.

The design and styling is no great shakes, the rear reminds you of an A-Star and the front of a Baleno ( slightly female version :p ).

Sell , it will. High number of bookings, it already has.

4. JD666

As the ads in the paper today said - The All new Ford Figo!

Okay, lets find out -

Ford_Figo_Twin_Test.jpg

01_ford_figo_bright_yellow.jpg

Can anyone tell which is the old one which is the new one?

The Figo has been selling well ~6000 units a month, staying in the top ten every month nearly. What they have done is ensured that the appeal remains.

They have highlighted the steering controls, new blue dash, alloy wheels, but funny no updates to the rear.

Its a rugged reliable machine. Will sell and continue to sell even more now! Go Diesel!!!
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 18, 2012 ---
    Renault Scala - Please read all reviews on Nissan Sunny and think french instead of Japanese. Lol!

initpidzero likes this.
  5. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Wow at the Figo.. Yellow looks pretty good.

JD666 likes this.