Buying Advice Droid for 15-20K

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by Duffman 2.0, Aug 13, 2013.

Share This Page

1. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

Budget: 15-20K
    Usage: In preferential order
    1. Music
    2. Texting/Calls
    3. Gaming
    4. Photography
    Brand Preference: Samsung and rest reputed ones. No Micromax, Lava or Xolo please. Prior experiences bad with them.
    Only special criteria is that phone should be able to handle bit extreme operation environment coupled with rough usage.My last to last phone was a Samsung model of Galaxy series, almost 3 years old, pretty rough usage and still has no major structural integrity issues even after suffering numerous falls from varied height over the years.
    Please suggest accordingly.

2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Check eBay for HTC One X 16 GB or Xperia SP.

You should get them for a sprinkle over 20k .. use some Discount Coupon.

Brand New Original & Sealed Sony Xperia SP - Black Color | eBay

This looks like your best bet.

Its Sony .. Sound Quality is pretty good. I've tried out the older Xperia S camera and was pretty impressed by it .. I'm assuming the SP performs similar.

2370 mAH battery will give your some good backup. (though its non removable) ..

Its got all the bells and whistles .. Nevermind the Dual-Core SoC .. Its got a Adreno 320 GPU which should give you pretty good gaming performance. Graphics performance is very impressive and matches the Quad Core phones which cost 5-6k more.

Overall this fits your bill perfectly.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Duffman 2.0: 54 Points (Thanks for the help mate!) Aug 17, 2013
    Duffman 2.0 likes this.
  3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

+1 to Sony for sound quality (from what i understand), Though some audio purists could shed more light on this.

Or a Motorola Defy or XT? which one was it, that was waterproof and rugged? harryneopotter

Duffman 2.0 likes this.
  4. Sunit JC

Sunit JC ActiveRAIDer

Xperia SP definitely.. Though I personally hate anything Sony but this is the best in that budget.
    It is available at Tradus for 19.8K.
    Code: MFLAT10

Duffman 2.0: 54 Points (Thanks for the help mate!) Aug 17, 2013
    Duffman 2.0 and JD666 like this.
  5. harryneopotter

harryneopotter NEO is my middle name ! Staff Member

Defy is out of question, very outdated for today.

JD666 likes this.
  6. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

But Sony's phones are notorious for their brittle nature. Most of the times its the screen that gives away on slightest of falls. How does Xperia SP matches up in this regards?
    Right now I've shortlisted Xperia SP and Xperia P but dunno anything about latter's processor and performance. One more thing, can you provide an eBay discount coupon for the same , just like you earlier did for Tradus?

7. Sunit JC

Sunit JC ActiveRAIDer

Definitely not this.
    The previous generation Xperias were pathetic. They will lag like a b*tch plus no future android updates.
    And yes Xperias are not for ruff tuff use.

8. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

JD666 likes this.
  9. JD666

can you contact the seller?

10. JD666

there's an option of asking seller a question.

11. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

Yeah, saw that option a bit later. Contacted the seller through mail and later he even called me so I told him that if he can arrange the phone in Black in a day or two then I am willing to wait else White will also do.
    Either way...
    [​IMG]

Sunit JC: 45 Points (lol..) Aug 17, 2013
    Sunit JC, dbg and JD666 like this.
  12. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

bad experience with sony cellphones had two of them kept hanging like nobody's business.sound quality definetly the best.my friend in calcutta bought a sony cellphone sometime back & faced issues with wifi, bluetooth & maybe some other issues i don't remember.he had to make a few trips & ultimately sony ended up changing the motherboard of the cellphone :( but phone is working fine now battery backup being android needs to be charged everyday.

13. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

The Sony HW these days is pretty standard and used by other brands also. All companies use standard drivers so there shudnt be any performance variation ..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

14. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

With regards to suiting up the device, can anyone recommend good quality/brand case/cover and screen guard for the phone. Last I checked, there were no case or oleophobic guards for Xperia SP from Spigen. They did have Xperia S. Will it fit on SP?

15. Sunit JC

Sunit JC ActiveRAIDer

Ummm but both have different dimensions. Plus the camera and flash placements are different on both devices so how can you use the same case? :p

16. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

Well not the case but I was hoping for screen guard atleast but that won't work either 'cause of different dimensions of the screen. Guess will have to look for some "Indian" options.

17. JD666

I have generally found covers easily on ebay. Even when the 620 was just a few days old, and I had bought it, I found a cover online for it.

18. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

Well the current update to this situation is that I placed order on 16th August and the Seller hasn't done jack after accepting it. There were no updates to the order status. I messaged the Seller regarding this, to which he responded by telling me to wait and he will ship it asap. Now my queries are as below:
    1. After the latest shipping date given by Tradus, 23rd August, the order will be cancelled and money refunded by Tradus itself or will I have to initiate this process?
    2. Is the amount kept in escrow by Tradus till order is completed ?

19. JD666

You'll have to wait till the 23rd to get info on shipping. If you do not, then you will have to raise a case with tradus.

20. Duffman 2.0

Duffman 2.0 RAID Rookie

Go the call from the seller today. Due to stock availability issue, he won't be able to fulfill the order. Informed the same to Tradus and escalated the case to them and initiated the request for refund.
    Spec wise I really like the phone and the cons listed in most of the reviews, I can live with them but now I'm kinda mixed between another option. Thing is I want to keep it <= 20K so in that category I found a guy selling Droid Razr M XT905 on [E] for almost 15K. Besides the warranty issue, I found nothing wrong with the phone.