Expansion of the lens family - 18-300 and 50mm Prime

Discussion in 'Arts and Photography' started by JD666, Nov 30, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yeah, I know the first thought is going to be, why not a 35mm Prime lens. However I accidentally purchased the 50mm Prime (1.8D). Reading more about the lens, it turned out to be a safe enough move, since the missus likes shooting portraits and close ups. The 50mm ought to do a decent enough job.

With regards to the 18-300, special thanks to @Stuge for guiding and advising the noob typing this. I had purchased the D5200 as a kit with 2 lenses, 18-55 and 55-200. Now these were good for everyday shooting, but the hassle of changing the lenses, especially when you are traveling or at a holiday spot, is kind of annoying.

I did consider Tamaron and Sigma (nearly half price of the Nikon 18-300), but then finally decided to buy the Nikkor lens. Not sure if there is a significant difference in imaging, for the price difference.

Some obligatory pictures -

IMG_0601.jpg
    Yeah yeah we'll get to the Atari console in another thread. I still need batteries for it.

IMG_0602.jpg

The 18-300 despite being the newer model is huge! and heavy! I presumed 550 gms wouldn't be much, but when I placed it next to the 55-200 lens is when the size difference became evident.

IMG_0606.jpg

Both lenses flaccid.

IMG_0608.jpg

And both of them fully extended. The difference is huge!

IMG_0610.jpg

The 50 MM is a super compact lightweight lens. I liked the idea of a fixed focus distance, since it made everything that much harder. But the ability to focus on different parts in the same shot does add a lot of variety and possibilities.

The image quality of the prime lens was to die for. I'm a noob with photography, so I can probably tell a good image from a bad one, but I cannot (for now) figure out how to refine my image further, unless I play around with the settings. But out of the box, the image quality of the prime lens was a revelation.

I'll post equivalent 50mm shots from all 4 lenses for a comparo. This should be interesting.

And finally the current lineup -

IMG_0616.jpg

I think the 55-200 has been made redundant by the 18-300, but I'll play around a bit more to take a call. What do you reckon?

2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Yeah, you could sell off the 55-200 as it isn't a stellar performer in any case.

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

Some one recommended a 12-24 from tokino? Any idea what would be the benefit?

4. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Ultrawide angle, different perspective. It's actually quite fun to shoot with one, I recently got the Canon 10-18 IS STM lens, and used it for shooting landscapes and also some street work, the very wide angle and distortion does provide for a fun perspective.

JD666 likes this.
  5. JD666

Okay. I'll demo one out the next time I'm at our local photography store.

6. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

Congrats

7. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

Wide angle is addictions initially. Once you're use to it...You will prefer something between 24 and 50/for general.use

8. JD666

Thank you. that's exactly what I'm enjoying with the 10-20 Sigma. Now just waiting for some days off to go out and play some more with it.

Stuge likes this.