News Facebook launches Facebook Lite app for 2G Android devices

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by JD666, Jun 29, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

To capitalize on slower devices, and networks with limited connectivity, Facebook has launched a 'lite' version of their application. The app, which comes in at only 435 Kb, is much much lighter than the recent update notification I received on my iPhone 5S, which was a whopping 90 Mb + download.

001.jpg

It looks like a skinned version of how Facebook used to appear on a mobile browser, Opera notably for me. However if it is designed to work on 2G speeds even, I am hoping that background data usage should be much much lesser.

People suffering from low battery life thanks to their FaceBook Application, can switch to this. I also like the fact that the messenger is now integrated into this application. See image below -

002.jpg

It might be low key, and not as good looking as the full blown app, but it appeals to me in many ways. I have actually un-installed the Facebook application from my Redmi 2, and use the mobile page exclusively on Opera Mobile. This keeps me from having 2 additional applications running in the background (Facebook and Messenger), and not only saves me space and battery life, but allows me to control my notifications. You can switch notifications off, but only for a limited time in the app.

003.jpg

Funny bit is, that Facebook Lite was updated on May 29th, 2015 (current available version - 1.10.0.55.12:cool:, and the news is circulating now. Perhaps because they are pushing this to users in the Philippines and India.

Looks good, I'm gonna give it a run and share some feedback. Lemme know if anyone else tries it out as well. Should work on Android 2.2 devices and higher.

For a direct download link - Facebook Lite - Android Apps on Google Play

2. JD666

So I tried installing this on the Xiaomi Redmi 2, and I got a notification that this app is not available in my country. Can anyone download the apk, and send it across to me? I can only find apk for the 1.00.00.00 app.

3. JD666

Found the apk, and did the install. Not bad. It feels like I'm back in 2009-2010, however the app works, and I have resources free. Moreover Messenger and Facebook are integrated, so that is a win win.

4. JD666

For reference sake, the Android application is 35 Megabytes.