Features that you would like to see in your next Car

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, May 14, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

With the high level of customizations and modifications being done by people all around me, I thought of compiling a list of features that one would like.

Here are some features that I would like -

1- A proper bottle holder - Yes, not in the door pocket, not around the gear shift, probably on the dash, but a proper bottle holder with clasps that does what it states, Holds a Bottle.

- Should be easily accessible while driving, accommodate all sizes and preferably have a blower around it cooling the bottle.

2- Longer Seat Belts - Face it, the average weight in nearly every country is going up. And people tend to get stuck with short seat belts. For safety's sake, make them longer.

3- Windows with Built in Blinds - Especially after the recent SC ruling. Something like this -

car blind.jpg

Manufacturers can install these for about 4-5000 Rs more. Save us the hassle of ripping open the linings on our brand new cars. Add this and charge 10,000 Rs.

Oh and while we are at it, expandable sun visors would be a boon.

And Sun Blinds for the front windscreen, that can be simply pulled up from the dash and hooked onto the ceiling. Useful when parking in the Sun.

4 - At least 2xUSB ports - For charging our portable devices. The lighter socket is too bulky and so is the convertor that has to plug into it.

5 - Do away with the Lighter Socket - Its a hangover of the 80s with Ash-trays and lighting points. Not needed!

5 - Better still, have a 110V/220V - 100W power point - This one is a must. For charging laptops, Cameras, Camcorders, and probably a small chiller, a power point would be a blessing in a car. Especially with the number of gadgets/gizmos one carries.

6 - Wi-Fi - Which is present in bigger machines, but I would love it if My car had a Tata Photon/Airtel/Sometel Wi-Fi Network, that I could simply log on to when I sit in my car. Saves battery life on my phone, and provides much faster speed. Won't bore the other occupants while traveling as well, they'll all be busy doing Facebook or WhatsApp. High end cars do offer this, but about time one Manufacturer takes all this, puts it into a small car, and launches it as the ultimate youth wagon or something.

7 - GPS Tracker - Ability to track, monitor, immobilize and lock/unlock the vehicle remotely. This will increase vehicle security Multi-fold. There are 3rd Party devices, but why cut your wiring, when this can be made a regular feature.

8 - Compulsory Mileage indicator - So that we are made aware of our running, and might just eeke out that much distance out of each liter of fuel.

9 - Horn De-activation in special zones - Hospitals, Traffic Intersections, places of worship etc. A zone can be marked out by the authorities, using a special signal that the vehicle responds to. This disables the horn for that zone. At best use your headlights. We as Indians really really need this feature.

10 - Notification of Emergency Vehicles - Same principle, but installed on Ambulances and Fire Trucks. A light illuminates on the Dash when they are close, so that you know you have to give way, way in advance.

These are some of the ideas I could think of. They can charge maybe 70,000-90,000 over a regular model and provide these features.

These gadgets are cheap, Installing them is a PITA when done the aftermarket way. And most won't mind such features also. If only some manufacturer would listen and do a case study on this!

What feature would you like in your next car?

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    dbg: 50 Points (Excellent list .. you've been thinking about a long time it seems.) May 14, 2013
    idutt likes this.
  2. sohail99

sohail99 RAID Rookie

Nice list!

One feature each and every can and should have is a roof integrated solar panel, spanning the entire roof!
    (like in Fisker Karma)

It would look good too and can charge your battery while the car is parked!
    Power certain non critical systems of the car directly while it's making power! (in order to reduce load on the battery etc.) and those systems can switch to battery at night or whenever the panel isn't generating power!

Flexible solar panels in sunblinds for front windshield connected directly to charge battery or as an aftermarket accessory charging the battery via 12v socket!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 25 Points (great idea) May 14, 2013
    JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

Great idea. I think the only flipside would be that solar panels tend to get really hot, so in place of blinds they will really heat up the interiors. But on the roof yes, they can be used to trickle charge the battery, or a hybrid vehicle even (like the Optional Solar roof on the Reva e2o)

4. JD666

I have another one.

There should be provision for an oil change indication light and it should be made mandatory in all cars. A direct measurement of the quality of the oil in your car should be the indicator for change rather than fixed intervals.

This will benefit the environment and the owner as well by reducing the number of oil changes and maximizing the use of one change of oil.

But I'm sure oil companies will cry foul if it is implemented.

5. sohail99

sohail99 RAID Rookie

I agree! Oil quality meteres are small and sensors can be easily integrated in oil sumps etc. and indicators around spedometers to warn users!

As well as fuel quality guages integrated in fuel tanks

Car's ecu and other sensors able to sync up with android systems via obd or usb and display values in google glass directly lol!

Option for michelin tweel airless tire with faux side walls! Omg

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

crackpot likes this.
  6. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

1- A proper bottle holder - Yes, not in the door pocket, not around the gear shift, probably on the dash, but a proper bottle holder with clasps that does what it states, Holds a Bottle.

Yes .. also they could give out a set of bottles designed for those specific cup holder sizes ..

- Should be easily accessible while driving, accommodate all sizes and preferably have a blower around it cooling the bottle.

2- Longer Seat Belts - Face it, the average weight in nearly every country is going up. And people tend to get stuck with short seat belts. For safety's sake, make them longer.

I guess the the sizes are standardized after extensive crash testing so increasing them might not be safe.

3- Windows with Built in Blinds - Especially after the recent SC ruling. Something like this -

These should come as after market accessories directly from the company

4 - At least 2xUSB ports - For charging our portable devices. The lighter socket is too bulky and so is the convertor that has to plug into it.

Agreed .. mobile charging ports are pretty standardized now

5 - Do away with the Lighter Socket - Its a hangover of the 80s with Ash-trays and lighting points. Not needed!

This is still compatible with many popular accessories so doing away with it might not appeal to everyone

5 - Better still, have a 110V/220V - 100W power point - This one is a must. For charging laptops, Cameras, Camcorders, and probably a small chiller, a power point would be a blessing in a car. Especially with the number of gadgets/gizmos one carries.

Such 220V power output would not be good for the battery I think

6 - Wi-Fi - Which is present in bigger machines, but I would love it if My car had a Tata Photon/Airtel/Sometel Wi-Fi Network, that I could simply log on to when I sit in my car. Saves battery life on my phone, and provides much faster speed. Won't bore the other occupants while traveling as well, they'll all be busy doing Facebook or WhatsApp. High end cars do offer this, but about time one Manufacturer takes all this, puts it into a small car, and launches it as the ultimate youth wagon or something.

You can already get such devices separately .. portable hotspots which are powered through USB.

7 - GPS Tracker - Ability to track, monitor, immobilize and lock/unlock the vehicle remotely. This will increase vehicle security Multi-fold. There are 3rd Party devices, but why cut your wiring, when this can be made a regular feature.

Good option for the standard Car theft systems that come preloaded. Shouldn't be too expensive too.

8 - Compulsory Mileage indicator - So that we are made aware of our running, and might just eeke out that much distance out of each liter of fuel.

9 - Horn De-activation in special zones - Hospitals, Traffic Intersections, places of worship etc. A zone can be marked out by the authorities, using a special signal that the vehicle responds to. This disables the horn for that zone. At best use your headlights. We as Indians really really need this feature.

Can be achieved using GPS .. and actually is used in some Sports Cars today .. It shown in Top Gear S19 .. they were driving a Nissan which had its ECU locked while driving on roads but automatically unlocked when the car GPS discovers its entered a race track. However Horn deactivation might be problematic to implement in India.

10 - Notification of Emergency Vehicles - Same principle, but installed on Ambulances and Fire Trucks. A light illuminates on the Dash when they are close, so that you know you have to give way, way in advance.

Good feature actually .. Patent it ASAP .. or I'll do it first !

JD666 likes this.
  7. JD666

Some other ideas (thanks to the missus)

- To have a dashboard designed in such a manner that it holds and supports portable devices.

Time and again We've faced the dilemma of 'where to keep our phone'

A good location, preferably on the dashboard would be good enough to keep one satisfied.

OT but still,

- To have a car with Armor plating so that you can nudge the car next to you without any worry in the world. For people who are sick and tired of others cutting their path, and overtaking them in all possible ways etc this would be a great feature.

- To have auxiliary lights fitted on the roof of the car or at a suitable location. So that the idiot who refuses to lower his beam, gets blinded by these supplemental lights and gets a lesson. People really need to learn to drive on low beams.

MrsJD666 likes this.
  8. dbg

Even if you don't have separate compartments for gadgets then at least make the dash not super slippery. Slightest braking or turning send your phone sliding to the other side of the car.

MrsJD666 likes this.
  9. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

A peoper BAR and refrigerator, a Barbeque and a serving damsel ;)

JD666 likes this.
  10. JD666

On a serious note, vehicles like Innova/Xylo/Ertiga could come with these fitments for those who love driving on holidays and are into camping etc.

11. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

Mate JD, seriously why don't you suggest all this to let's say Tata.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD666 likes this.
  12. JD666

Or if a certain Blue Oval is willing to listen... ;)

turbo99i likes this.
  13. JD666

Did this mod on my Nano -

Got a bottle holder from a friend. Took two pieces of drilled metal strips for back support and installed this using screws with washers right thru the dash.

uploadfromtaptalk1369988747634.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1369988761168.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1369988776008.jpg

The height is such that it does not intrude on leg space for the passenger and is easily accessible for the driver while driving.

Total cost - 150rs!

Rockfella likes this.
  14. dbg

This is really cool.. Put it out on the networks..

15. JD666

That I installed a bottle holder?

16. dbg

Yea.. looks like a nifty addition to your car.

It looks pretty clean for a first attempt. :)

17. JD666

thank you!

18. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Yes, it is worth it.

19. Luciffer

Luciffer Satan Spawn Staff Member

Goody Goody Goody...
    Now here's what you need to put in it..
    (On Sale for Rs199 in Tradus)
    (It's an ashtray with Blue LED inside.. designed to fit in your bottle holder :)

ELAMM87N55VETVYE_4419531_-1x-1.jpg

JD666 likes this.
  20. JD666

Lol, this needs a separate mounting!!