Following to the JD’s post of “How to maximize the fuel efficiency of your vehicle. Must read”.

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by turbo99i, Jan 11, 2013.

Share This Page

1. turbo99i

turbo99i RAID Rookie

I tips:-

- Start watching far beyond the bonnet what’s going on, AINTICIPATE for heaven sake and off the gas!
    -Park in shade, open the window an inch, let the fresh air in, let the hot air go out before letting the Alaska of the Vents.
    -If you aren’t hearing a whoosh, If it’s supposed to, replace the tired fuel cap, as you may be having evaporative losses.
    -I shift 1st-3rd-5th, skip gear if you can, clutching and changing is fuel wastage - I dont mean to judder the engine!
    -Align four wheels, if they all go in different directions you better go sideways rather straight!
    -Get to cruise speed, stay at that speed (whatever it may be) the idea being the steady state for max time on sweet spot.
    -Don’t idle unless necessary, make a habit of start stop – trust me in few years all cars will do that voluntarily.
    -Warm the engine before gunning it, or putting heavy load on cold cycle i.e. when engine is warming up, engines uses max amount of fuel, putting more load doesn’t help really.
    -For all oil burners (diesels) - Make a habit of listening to that spooling of turbo, if you can master accelerating without the turbo boost, you I’ll get efficiency that of a non-turbo, which will be upto 15% better (please don’t swear by me)
    -Go for Small petrol, is better than large- if you are a commuter, buy small petrol as you will have less parasitic vacuum losses past throttle body. Large engines have to suck across small throttle aperture, when in eco mode, where as small engines most of the time ride happy wider throttle opening- save 5-10%.
    -Don’t fuel up too often – you are vaporising more than filling it! The good bit of petrol is the lighter aromatics which are evaporative happy. Remember race engines fill up freshest petrol with max lighter contents, having said that, fill up when it’s cold and buy petrol from a large retailer, you have better chance of fresh stock. Ask the pumpwala to insert the filler all the way in, don't enjoy wathching Campty fall!
    -Avoid short trips, as you start the engine from cold every time, to light up the catalytic converter engines hoses down fuel in exhaust! – Yes that’s true!
    -Remove the hideous roof racks, they increase drag massively.
    -Buy from new and runin properly, a stich a time saves nine. If your bores are straight you will have better bang in the engine and you will get better long term mileage.
    -Use iridium spark plugs if you don’t service the engine too often, iridium spark plugs lasts longer than copper core and maintains the gap more than simple OE ones.
    - If you experince slight judder, check with your garage i.e. a faulty MAF sensor is wastage of fuel!

Now tips for Xtra misers, if you on max to tank hunt – Tape up all panel gaps, polish to a sheen, strip and throw upholstery, rear seats, spare wheel, jack, empty windscreen bottle, fit small battery, don’t use any electrics, close all windows, make the front grill aperture smaller, shut it in winter. Lastly follow vehicles slip stream in front and don’t eat!

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 100 Points (Sir Sir Sir!!!) Jan 11, 2013
    Rockfella: 75 Points (The last part is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Feb 1, 2013
    Shatter, mavihs, Rockfella and 3 others like this.
  2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

You are on a roll today!! And I am loving it!!

3. Vinny

Vinny RAID Rookie

any suggestions for a diesel vehichles in terms of filling fuel partially or fully ?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 11, 2013 ---

"

4. Vinny

Vinny RAID Rookie

Now tips for Xtra misers, if you on max to tank hunt – Tape up all panel gaps, polish to a sheen, strip and throw upholstery, rear seats, spare wheel, jack, empty windscreen bottle, fit small battery, don’t use any electrics, close all windows, make the front grill aperture smaller, shut it in winter. Lastly follow vehicles slip stream in front and don’t eat! this one is super hilaerous maaannnn !!!!! :troll:

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Rockfella: 73 Points (hehehehehe) Jan 27, 2013
  5. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

:troll: :troll: super funny!!!!