Information / News Google I/O 2014

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by Invader, Jun 26, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

17800.jpg

Google I/O is the annual developer conference held by Google , where the latest in Google technologies like Android , Google Web Api , Web Toolkit , Chrome OS etc is showcased . The I/O in Google I/O stands for
    " Innovation in the Open "
    Here are the top highlights from the keynote at Google I/O 2014

1. Android One

Google will be expanding its user count by launching a sub 100$ phone with a screen size of 4.5 inches with three mobile manufactures from India. Android One is going to be a stock Android experience for all these devices.

2. New Android Version

A new Android version was showcased with the code name "L" at the conference. Rumors say that its the next Android version which is going to be called "Lollipop". Android director Matias Duarte outlined some new features, among them providing depth to interfaces so some images can float above others, rich touch feedback, and seamless animations between screens and apps.

3. New user experience

Google has added some new animations capabilities to its Android platform. There is going to be a ripple touch effect , on press of a button the screen will ripple hence showing the exact button being pressed. Another addition to the user experience is advanced notifications bar. Now the users will be able to read , open and dismiss messages from the notification bar without having to unlock the device . Though this will work only under some special secure conditions or with the presence of a smart watch. This new design and features wrap up is what Google calls as its Material.

4. Chrome for Mobile

Chrome the software used in Google's Chromebook will also follow the Material design patterns. There will be much more new with the Chrome browser on Android like smooth app and window switching etc.

5. Wearables

The capabilities of AndroidWear, includes the ability to have apps automatically work on square and round screens to allow for more smart watch fashion possibilities. The watch can be always on, with the notification deemed most important at the time and place appearing which can be swiped away at ease. Android wearables can also be used to control other devices nearby; tell your phone to play a song and what’s playing will appear on the watch.

6. Android Auto

Google has redesigned Android for automobiles. Navigation, communication, and music are placed front and center and everything is voice controlled. Android Auto now has 40 partners including the big names like Fiat , Honda etc.

7. Android TV

It has been officially announced that Google will be bringing Android to the big screens. The home screen of this will float over whatever is playing and it will accept voice commands as well. A smart watch can also be used to control everything on screen and games can be launched with the help of a game controller.

8. Chromecast Features

A user can show what’s on their phone on your TV even if they’re not using your home WiFi. There’s also new “ambient experience” that puts photos from your phone on the TV screen when you’re not tuned into a show.

There were many other announcements as well like new Google Cloud Platform which can only be understood by the developers and holds not much good for the end user. Though what I got it from was that a dev. can now code more easily online. There is also rumor for an Android health app powered by Nike. The software development kit for Android auto is also soon to be released to the developers so that they can make their very own tracking etc apps.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Nice round up, Google really upped the Ante this IO , not just android, its going to pretry much revolutionize the web.

Sadly there was no mention of the Nexus 4 for the Dev Preview Images :(

Hopefully the community will hack it's way through.

Many of features announced were long over due in Stock Android - but Google finally came though..

If Android TV picks up, it can really be a threat to Gaming Consoles (as home entertainment)

Android Wear seems to have Googles focus at the moment where it leaped generation ahead of its competitors.

Android is wonderful because its both open n scalable, with a unified SDK for all platforms we can hope the drought of non-mobile apps will end. Google has really done a lot for developers to enable apps to run cross-device with minimal modification and its partnership with Appurify will allow even a small time dev to test and deploy apps virtually on various form factors.

An amazing 2014 lies ahead thanks to Google.

3. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

I guess I'll be going for the first (cheap) Android phone which is launched with Lollipop