Information Google market share below 75%, Yahoo default engine for Firefox

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by JD666, Feb 4, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Levels last seen in 2009 ( Not just for oil) but for search engines as well.

It seems that Google has been losing market share gradually and Yahoo has been clawing back some of that. Microsoft Bing, though powering Yahoo search, is getting additional backing from there.

Yahoo has apparently done a 300 Million $ deal with Mozilla to be the default search engine for their FireFox browser.

To be honest, I've been experimenting this myself over the last few weeks and most of the results on Google are sponsored (surprise). To actually find the information I'm looking for, I need to dig till the 5th or 6th page, even with relevant keywords.

I tried the same on Yahoo, and it was much easier. Yahoo also throws up sponsored results, but atleast relevant to my search requirements.

Poor Bing, always cannot show me everything, thanks to my location and the restriction it imposes on it. Such pressure, much wow.

The lack of settings (privacy, search history, not share location) on Google, also make it less and less desirable.

I tried Duckduckgo, and I was quite impressed, they need more pages indexed, and they are a force to reckon with as well.

On Yahoo, I can at least set all these as desired. Bing again, is under some legal obligation to protect me from the bad bad Internet out there.

It is a good sign to see companies taking the fight to the biggies, keeps the competition real and honest.

What search engine are you using? and why?

Read the source for more info -

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Usage Share

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Yahoo is suddenly relevant, how surprising.
    But stop experimenting with yourself jd.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Are you not annoyed with all this tracking/history/location crap?

PS - What does the Banhammer use to protect his identity online?

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I am too late, google owns my arse.