Google Nexus 7 - 7" Tablet - Quad-core Processor - 1280x800 HD Display - WiFi and BT - $199 16GB

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by ManISinJpr, Jun 24, 2012.

Share This Page

1. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

And btw, SuperFrag has already got this as he was in the 6000 attendees there !!!
    Now he can't be brought in here !! or we would pull a super scoop !!

2. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

google_nexus_7_tablet_200px.png
    Google announced it's Nexus 7, a 7" tablet with an eye catching price of $199 for the 8GB model and $249 for the 16GB. The tablet due to be released by mid-July comes packed with punch of Quad-core Tegra 3 processor, front facing camera, GPS amongst other features, but most importantly a 7" HD IPS screen of 1280x800 resolution housed inside a scratch resistant "Corning" (as Google likes to call it) glass.

In my opinion this would give a stiff competition to the tablet market leader iPad and other companies' tablet products. The tablet comes loaded with the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

With a battery capacity of 4325mAh, Google claims a promising 8hour HD experience and 300 hours of standby time.

I'm not much of an Android fan or user, but this sure has got me excited, mainly because of the pricing of the tablet. There is a very good chance I will be buying this baby!

Here's a very Apple like video on the Google Nexus 7 by the Google employees

ManISinJpr and JD666 like this.
  3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I like this... if only this can have 3g support and my purchase is decided!

4. kauffmann

I know, I would have absolutely loved 3G support, and even if it came at a premium, it would be totally worth it. I can probably expect Google to unveil later models with 3G support.

5. kauffmann

Seems like the whole device is centred around Google Play, now I have no idea what that is, could someone elaborate on it?

6. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

I guess Google released this as a secondary device to a person who already has a smart phone.

If you have a smart phone with 3G you don't need 3G on your tablet,but i think Google may release 3g and 4g versions in the future.

Google has a winner.

ManISinJpr and kauffmann like this.
  7. kauffmann

The only issue that I see with the tablet is how much it's connected with and built around the internet. With the lack of 3G, it would prove to be a great hassle if your content is not readily available on the move. I'm not sure whether Google Apps and Cloud service allows you to store content on the device.

PS: The device does NOT have an exapandable memory slot. Sorry for the wrong information posted before.

8. Nucleus

Nucleus RAID Rookie

I have the Kindle Fire and its awesome as a Kids tablet. This one just went many steps ahead.

But the pundits mention that Asus itself is going to launch other cheaper options and they will be better than the Nexus Tab.

All in all - all hail Android.

I'm waiting for the Jelly Bean update on my Nexus.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  9. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

The Kindle Fire 2 will be coming soonish .. lets see what its got.

10. kauffmann

Would content be available offline? Say if I were to write a document on the tablet, would I be able to do so without internet access or have access to the ones I had created before? Or even music.

Plus, would there be any provision to connect say an iPhone's 3G connection via bluetooth to the Nexus 7 tablet in order to access web on the go? I'm planning on pre-ordering this baby!

11. Nucleus

Nucleus RAID Rookie

Thats like having a USB 3.0 card and using a USB 1.0 cable. Bluetooth's speeds are very low compared to 3G.

I read an article about reverse tethering on Android. Sounded interesting. Does iPhone support Hotspots yet?

harryneopotter likes this.
  12. kauffmann

So I placed the order for the 16GB Google Nexus 7 for $249 and a cover for $19.99, the total came to $309 inclusive of all taxes ($24).

Cover -
    [​IMG]

And like always, I promise you an unboxing video as soon as I get my hands on it.

Yep, you can covert your iPhone into a personal wifi hotspot.

Plus I heard, you can use the USB OTG to attach pen drives etc. so I guess storing extra content or data transfer would not be an issue.

13. ManISinJpr

So you will get it in US when you visit !!!
    I so want this !!! @jd666's complain about this not coming with 3G not withstanding !!
    what and how diod you order >?>
    --- Post Merged: Jun 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM ---
    I think this can be a FIRST GO for us Raiders !!!

14. kauffmann

Yep, they would start delivering by mid-July, so by the time I get there it should already be there or on the way.

My brother ordered it for me, they are already taking preoders.

So the choice was between the iPad and the Nexus 7 and I have to admit that the price point played as a big factor in my decision. Plus I think the 7" screen size is apt for taking it with you on the go.

Nucleus likes this.
  15. RajaPraveen

I will buy one soon, the only thing i don't like is the LCD screen(AMOLED would have been amazing), but the price will increase.

kauffmann likes this.
  16. kauffmann

Now to get down to business...will it blend? :p

Jokes aside, would I be able to root this device? This will be my first Android device and from what I've heard, Jellybean is by far the best Android OS till date.

17. ManISinJpr

Ohh ! that is what I thought !!!
    I wish there was something that we could do to get that !!!
    --- Post Merged: Jun 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM ---
    Yes this will be rooted !! asap ! don't worry..
    --- Post Merged: Jun 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM ---
    The screenin this is awesome bro, in this price :D

18. RajaPraveen

That is what they say every time they release a new version of android(best Android OS till date).

Of course you will be able to root this device but root IMO is not that necessary since android in stock itself is pretty advanced and has everything one needs in a mobile device.

Nucleus and ManISinJpr like this.
  19. ManISinJpr

Rooting is absolutely essential for me, coz it gives me total control on hardware, drivers and other core services !!
    as for him asking for rooting, it is coz we can then install many custom roms which will support external 3G dongles !!! through whichever method !

20. kauffmann

Haha yes, every company says that. For example Apple always says this is by far the best iOS till date. Meh, so much for being the best, I remember my horrid experience of iOS 4.0.1 on the iPhone 3G. It was really never meant to be ported to the 3G, nor was it made for it, it was only pushed on the device to appease the current 3G owners or probably make the experience so hellish for them that they buy the 3GS. Even with the feature cuts (for example lack of multitasking, no wallpaper support, etc.), which Apple itself admitted could not be enabled on the 3G solely because it wasn't that fast enough, still it was slow as hell. If you have the hardware to support it, it's always the best.

Sorry for the OT. Anyway, I would personally not like to root the device if I can customise it to a minimalistic barebone UI. My usage would be very basic, emailing, browsing, music, movies, news apps, reading PDFs etc.