Buying Advice Google Nexus 7 or iPad 2

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by kauffmann, Jul 1, 2012.

Share This Page

1. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

Hi,
    I preordered the Google Nexus 7, but now I'm having second thoughts about the purchase. I'd like the community' good opinion on which would be better to go for.

Background -
    • Never used an Android device before
    • This will be my first tablet
    • Have been using the iPhone for the past 3 years now and I love it.
    What I like and dislike about the Nexus 7 -
    • Dislikes
      • Screen size might prove to be too small
      • No back camera
      • Google Play centered - heavily relies on the internet.
      • The new Jelly Bean OS and the support Google will extend out to further Android updates.
      • The ROM scene
    What I like and dislike about the iPad 2 -
    • Dislikes
      • Old technology, soon it will be phased out from the subsequent iOS updates like the 3GS has been for iOS6.
      • Familiarity with the OS
      • The number of apps outnumber Google Market
    I'd like your good opinion on how much the screen size makes a difference? My usage will be restricted to Surfing, Emailing, movies, music, document editing, etc.

I would hardly be playing any graphic intensive games on the device.

Any suggestions, opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Kauffmann

PS: I forgot to add, but I'd be using the device to chat alot too. So the keyboard response also matters alot.

2. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

For all the uses that you have explained here, I would suggest one single device..
    The Google Nexys 7, don't worry for the learning curve, it is pretty simple, and we are all here to help you !!
    the screen is superb and the performance is stellar !!

Don't doubt the decision that you have made !!

3. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

its a pretty awesome device
    hardware + software both .. and its not even that expensive, i really don't c any reason not to buy it

4. kauffmann

I know, the Google Nexus 7 would be a great device, but how does it weigh in comparison to the iPad 2. I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate your preference with some valid points.

5. kauffmann

What I like about the Nexus 7 is that even when Google stops officially supporting the device with the Android updates, there is a massive community that will keep kitchening custom ROMs to work efficiently on the Nexus 7.

Whereas when Apple ditches the iPad 2 with the further iOS updates or even tries to squeeze it in, the features would be cut down, like it happened so with iOS 4.x and the iPhone 3G, which left the phone painstakingly slow even with the feature cut.

Why I'm not going in for the iPad 3 is due to the price. I'll be buying a factory refurb iPad 2, which comes close to the same cost as the Nexus 7, give or take $50.

I feel the need for a tablet to have access to the web when I'm not infront of my desktop. The screen size is the biggest factor here, I'm getting an iPad 2 for my dad because he can't read too well and the big screen would do wonders. As for me, I don't have that problem and can manage a smaller screen, but how "good" is the web experience on a 7" screen is what is debatable.

6. vasishta.sushant

vasishta.sushant Some title...

For the control and flexibiliy, nexus. For the flaunt value and after-market accessory support ipad. I'd personally be like 70% inclined towards the nexus.

7. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

well i really dont know y i would prefer ios over android instead of the fact that games on ios are better
    any complaints i ever had with my nexus showing a little lag here and there are all gone since i switched over to jelly bean
    + the fact that u have endless ways to customize your os is great ... the framework is there for u to be messed around with , do whatever u are capable of
    the different amounts of roms and kernels .. it actually is your own device do whatever u please with it , make it as u wish and not how some douchebag company sees fit

ooh and i just saw your post about community and there support even after google stops supporting
    its effing true , i had jelly bean on my device in 8 hrs since the google i/o
    and not only that , those guys made it so easy that any one could flash it on their phones + the started various mods with the framework so that us normal users could enjoy it even more

8. kauffmann

Thanks for replying, no offence but let's keep the Apple hate out of this thread.

I like my devices to just-work, I don't want to root or spend time finding drivers to make things work on my device unless it's absolutely necessary to do so. I like how the iOS functions on my phone, there are things I wish it could do, but I can live without them because of the ease of operability it provides to me.

I used to be the kind to tinker around with the OS and try different ROMs but now I don't have the time or the interest to do so. Unless absolutely necessary I wouldn't install a custom ROM.

9. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

well then its best u use a good a device and see which u like better , although i dont know why u would find any problem with android
    so i guess its back to the same thing , if u care about brand value and feel that the ios is best for u buy the ipad but if u want to give the dev community/android a shot buy the nexus.

10. ManISinJpr

I would just answer the question at hand, how good the 7" screen be?
    Well I have used the Note and can say for a certainity that imo the 7" screen would be apt for what you have in mind.
    You see, I for one am waiting for the Windows 8 Pro tablet !! but I would myself love to have this too, why !! coz I like android and the freedom, have had many android phones and loved them..

11. sidk

sidk RAID Rookie

iPad 2. 10" > 7" and iPad can do everything nexus 7 can and better.

12. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

^
    like ?

also , nexus 7 = 216 ppi and ipad 2 = 132

also the nexus 7 has a widescreen display hence better viewing experience rather than having huga black bands while watching HD content

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    ManISinJpr: 41 Points (You have a clarity in thoughts :D I appreciate ..) Jul 1, 2012
    JD666 and ManISinJpr like this.
  13. ManISinJpr

Please read what superm4n has posted..

14. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

I personally don't like iOS and find it to be too plane compared to the recent version of android and more compared to windows 8.

It is a personal choice really, between the two nexus 7 has widescreen and better resolution,dedicated community to customize everything in android. iPad 2 on the other had right now has more apps specifically designed for tablet, more accessories like wide range of docking and stuff and kind of a pride to tell people that you own an iPad( not for me, i just consider apple products as all other products).I think you may get a lot of freebie in term of content and apps in nexus, i am not sure but i guess nexus wont be fully dependent upon online content only and i am sure you will be able to to play your offline video, view pics, play installed games, read offline books and so on.

Choose depending upon your usage, i for one don't want camera on my tablet because i feel using a tablet as a camera is a bit funny, the front cam for video calling is fine. From the initial reports on build quality i read nexus has a solid rubber back which feels like leather, this great IMO to avoid dents if you accidentally drop your tablet.

I found the 10 inch tablets big to hold in two hands in the side and type using the thumb like i do in my phone(landscape mode),this is the reason i dropped the plans to buy tablets from samsung and apple and went ahead with a mac book pro. i am guessing this will not be a problem with the smaller nexus 7.

Finally both are not bad devices, both are tablets so they have their own drawbacks. Simply saying ipad is greater than nexus or nexus is greater than ipad without remotely having a clue on how the new nexus works is point less. Nexus is a new device and in the coming months it will be properly compared to ipad and kindle by actual users who might have used all these devices, so only after a few months we will know how nexus hold its ground against the iPad or kindle.

Most of the non techie users will continue to buy iPad while people who like to play around might choose nexus considering its wonderful price tag,kidle might have a big dent in its sales and even ipad might see a potentital competition, all this will be evident by the end of this year.

As for now goggle has a winner IMO, it achieved a great milestone of coming up with a decent tablet at affordable price, if you want a piece of this action is something which you have to decide weighing in the pros and cons what many initial analysis is willing to share in the internet.

Peace.

BTW don't turn this into apple greater than Google or Sinatra greater than Louis Armstrong thread, this is a thread where a member has asked for pros and cons based on what as a consumer we feel about these two devices, so just posting one liners like "apple rocks or Google is god" wont help the purpose of this thread in anyways.

JD666, kauffmann and ManISinJpr like this.
  15. sidk

sidk RAID Rookie

Coudn't care less about the ppi.I find the screen to be very decent.besides it has 3G, larger screen, front camera, better apps.iPad anyday

3GS did get iOS6 afaik

16. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

The screen is actually very pixelated,3G does make sense if you don't already have a phone which supports 3G,more paid apps yes,better apps is subjective.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/06/12/no-real-ios-6-for-iphone-3gs-means-im-buying-iphone-5/

@OP

If you really feel comfortable using iOS and feel apple products are hassle free then you should probably get the ipad 2, that way you will have the satisfaction buying a trusted device and less doubts than what you might have with the nexus.

17. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

my vote would go with the Nexus as well.

Got an iPad in the house recently. Can't load movies directly, can't load songs directly ( unless you jailbreak it ). No USB On the go ( I'm going with a guess, however with rooting the nexus, you can install third party apps to do the same ).

The processing power on the Nexus is better. However the battery difference between the two is a lot ( with the iPad having better/longer battery life ).

- Pricing wise the iPad is double the Nexus 7 ( So if you planning to pick up a Nexus 7 on this trip, do remember your dear friend JD and pick one for him as well for the same money of 1 ipad ( Ill obviously pay you the direct conversion as well :p ) )

- And you've already experienced iOS on your iPhone. Time to try something new!!! ( Besides you can always try it there before buying it )

kauffmann likes this.
  18. theBanik

theBanik RAID Rookie

iPad 2 would be my choice. Though what JD said is a pain for people used to loading content directly to phone/tablet but that goes away within a few days. Beyond that, iPad as usual is a very very polished product which I doubt any android ever can be. A tablet is not a device which you play around with very often. All you need to load is consumption content which once used to is very simple IMO

19. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

looking at the list of compromises you are willing to make to get the ipad, i would not suggest android tablet to you. no point walking in to little known territory with prejudice and strong bias.

I am not judging anything. I am just saying that you have a strong affinity towards iOS. Migration is bound to result in negativity.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  20. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

the choice is your although i will like to clear something out regarding the battery
    although the ipad may have a bigger battery but the power consumption of the ipad is 2.6 times that of the nexus 7, which should give u the same power backup for both the tablets

ManISinJpr likes this.