Buying Advice Google Nexus 7 or iPad 2

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by kauffmann, Jul 1, 2012.

Share This Page

1. theBanik

theBanik RAID Rookie

Its not even out and if I am not wrong there are no reviews as well, then how are we making such sweeping statements about battery life???

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Nope, there are. just search for nexus 7 vs ipad etc.

the nexus has a 4325mAh battery, where as the ipad has a 11,600 something mAh battery.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  3. theBanik

theBanik RAID Rookie

hmmm....a few so called reviews that I saw earlier were all about comparing published specs but after giving it a second look it seems there are some original reviews in there too......

JD666 likes this.
  4. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

ipad 2 has 11600 mah battery?

5. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

^
    ipad 3 has the 11560 mah battery , the ipad 2 has a like 7000 mah battery

also , i saw the power consumption on quite a few sites when it released

6. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

iPad 3 also has a much higher power consumption(dat screen) so it needs the bigger battery.

7. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

Thanks for some really informative inputs!

What I have to say till now
    • The Nexus 7 would give me more freedom on how I want to use and sync my device. Say for example if tomorrow I have to connect a pen drive, I can do that on the Nexus 7 using USB OTG.
    • If I want to transfer anything onto the device, I don't have to rely on iTunes for it.
    The screen size is something I could really use some inputs on. The iPad effectively has a 2.5" advantage over the Nexus 7, would it really make a difference in surfing web, posting on forums, emailing, reading documents, books, maybe watching a movie once in a while.

Also, I am very much bowled over by the touch response of the iPad, it works really well. Initial reports of the Nexus 7 claim the same, but it plays a very big role in my purchase since I plan to type alot on the tablet, for chatting, emailing, forums, etc.

theBanik - I agree that the iOS is a very matured OS. Having tried my friend's Galaxy Tab and the Stock Android that came installed in it, to say the least it was nothing but repulsive. I plan to use the tablet when I'm not infront of my computer or am on the move.

RajaPraveen
    Thanks for the balanced comparison/opinion. I like the ease of operability of the iOS, the idea that everything is within reach is something that appeals to me. Maybe the fact that I've never owned an Android device and when I have used my friend's, I have never really made an attempt to get to know the OS better. Even though I have to admit that it is a very good looking OS and am impressed by the fancy widgets and UI. But it's the accessibility, usage, functionality that is a question to me.

I might come off as someone who is biased towards Apple products, but in truth it is just a company for me as it is for you, a company whose products I've used and liked. If another company comes out with something better, I wouldn't mind buying their products. Thus, I am so tied up over the two products, on the one hand I have the iPad, that I have used and liked, on the other there is the new entrant of Google that has been making waves and looks great on paper.

I don't really value what the bling element of the Apple products, yes they are an attraction for others, but to me the usability of the device is the only factor in play.

I am yet to discover the Android market, I'm not even sure if that's what it's called anymore. But the apps on Android are increasing in tandem with their market share. You've made a very valid point about being able to type on the tablet while holding it up, the iPad is too big to allow that, whereas the Nexus 7 would def have a one up here.

With the advent of the Nexus 7, it is being pitched against the Kindle Fire in the ring. It is for a fact not being compared to the iPad given the latter's different price range, screen real estate, etc. But I can see how contrary to that the Nexus7 and Google's advent into the Tablet market would have a surprise punch in store for Apple. It's a budget device that comes with some great specs.

The more I think about it, the more i feel that the back camera is not a requirement if one has his phone with them. So I can cut the back camera as a + on the iPad' front.

Thanks for posting the interesting Article on the iOS 6 and 3GS, will read through it properly.

PS: Can't rep you right now, need to rep other people :p

JD666 likes this.
  8. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

^
    do u have any friends that own a galaxy nexus ?
    if so use the jelly bean update on on them .. the nexus 7 is the same thing with a bigger screen
    play around with it as much as u can , and then decide whether its good for u
    that is the only way for u to be sure about what is best for u , and not buy considering what others say

and then take in consideration the other things

edit: and the only reason i told u to opt for the nexus is cause your main usage is reading and watching HD movies ... both which will b a better experience on the nexus cause of the greater ppi [atleast for me ]

ManISinJpr likes this.
  9. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

Bigger screen size is definitely better for browsing even if iPad has lower ppi, but since the difference is only 2.5 inches and this being a tablet this issue wont be a deal breaker.

The new chrome browser for android once they fix the initial bugs IMO will become one of the easiest browser to use on any mobile device.

You cant go wrong with any of these devices, for me holding the tablet in the side and typing using my thumb is very important and even when samsung introduced the stellar galaxy tab 7.7 although i was tempted i did not buy because it was over priced, nexus on the other hand provides a devices which is worthy of the price,the size for me is the sweet spot, i already have a phone which has approx 4.5" screen and a mac book at 13" so this 7" nexus is right in the middle and provides what is really required of a portable tablet with out the not so much important goodies.

Having said that if i were you and i really like the iOS and my experience with apple has been hassle free i would buy the iPad2 unless i want to try something new.

ManISinJpr likes this.