Discussion Guys Have a Doubt about Dish TV bought in US

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by roadrippersid, Jul 2, 2012.

Share This Page

1. roadrippersid

roadrippersid RAID Rookie

Guys I have a doubt.Me and my friend were discussing about this.My friend usually goes to US quite a number of times.He is a fan of watching US TV Shows.He had a doubt.Suppose he buys a Dish TV in the US with ability to watch all the TV shows which are shown in the US.Now if he comes back to India (Chennai) with the Dish from there, will he able to watch the US Shows here in India ? I mean there will be a certain frequency to those channels right ? How can he implement this in India ? how to make this work ? What would be the devices required ? He can get those devices from the US itself.I am not sure how this frequency thingy works ? He just wants to watch all the TV shows which come in the US in Chennai.Please share what to do I am not sure how this works !!

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Your friend needs to understand that sat channels are beamed by geo-stationary satellite. So the satellite basically beams the signal down on a fixed area all the time ( generally called the footprint of the satellite signal ). Your receiving dish needs to be within the range of the beam spread so as to receive the signal. Which is not going to happen in India.

roadrippersid and ManISinJpr like this.
  3. roadrippersid

Thanks JD for the reply cant this be done any how ? any way or workaround ?

4. JD666

Nope, unless you have a dish receiving in USA, connected to a decoder/transponder there, which encodes the signal digitally and sends / streams it across the internet to you in India, and then demodulate it, and view it.

Think of it as basically, those signals are not available in your region. thats all.

There are some Free to Air digital channels which people have reported using all over the world, I am not exactly sure of how they work.

roadrippersid likes this.
  5. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

In simple words, NOT possible unless your dish is those like the spying ones !!!

6. JD666

I was searching for these images to explain better.

The channel/signal that the STB/customer card is designed for a particular satellite, and a particular ID. DTH television relies on these geo-stationary satellites to broadcast the signal.

For eg -

Insat 2E-c band.gif Insat 4A-ku-band.gif Insat 4B at 93.5 e _ 4B footprint _ C band.jpg

So a STB configured for a particular signal ( for eg tatasky or dish tv ) will work as long as its within the receiving range of the satellite broadcasting to it. And the receiving dish on ground is directed/pointed to the satellite correctly.

If the STB is not in the region of signal coverage, it wont receive it at all.

( Done a lot of troubleshooting with Live television on aircrafts, so it helped :) )

roadrippersid and ManISinJpr like this.
  7. roadrippersid

Awesome explaination guys thanks a lot guess it wont be possible :cry:

Btw guys asked my friend he said he saw in Verizon office chennai able to see football matches in office not via streaming or something but some method I wonder how could Verizon guys do this ?

8. JD666

Anytime, though this is in the wrong section, moving it to consumer electronics.

9. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

iptv.

10. JD666

elaborate...

11. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

He means that the Verizon guys coud see it through IPTV ( Internet protocol TV )

JD666 likes this.