Review Hands on with the Galaxy Note 5 and Edge 6 Plus

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Aug 17, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I don't understand why Samsung decided to call the edge version of the Note 5, the Edge 6 plus. Are they trying to imitate Apple here? Oh wait, they are. There was no reason to include the "plus" moniker, especially now that Apple uses it for the 6+.

They should've called it the Note 5 Edge to differentiate it from the Note Edge which was launched last year.

Disclaimer - I am not a fan of Samsung's TouchWiz, but I absolutely love the new camera that they have bundled on the S6/Note 4 onwards.

First up, Note 5 -

IMG_7423.jpg

The Note 5 is perhaps the easiest Note device to hold. Not the easiest to grip, but definitely the easiest to hold, thanks to the ergonomic bezel around the sides. The fit/finish is essentially S6/S6 Edge levels, so if you've held one of those, this is no different from them.

IMG_7424.jpg

The left side of the device houses the volume buttons, good feedback and feel. Note the beveled edge on the back of the device. This curve helps in holding the device.

IMG_7425.jpg

The right side houses the power button, which in my opinion is a tad small, when compared with the whole device. They could've at least, made it bigger.

Also, an omission that Samsung could bring in, would be a dedicated camera key, since their camera is so good! The home button (like the S6/S6 Edge) can be used to quick launch the camera (With a double click), but the feel of focus and click that a 2-press camera button offers, is missing.

IMG_7426.jpg

The bottom houses the Audio jack, microphone, loudspeaker and Stylus slot.

IMG_7427.jpg

The top houses the Noise cancellation microphone and the SIM card slot.

IMG_7428.jpg

The rear has the same shiny/glossy finish that is seen on the S6/Edge. With everyone else moving to textured surfaces, this is a departure for Samsung to say the very least. I like the finish, and in comparison, it does feel better than the Z3/Z3 Compact's rear glass, but is a fingerprint magnet, as can be seen in the above image.

IMG_7429.jpg

The camera is not fully flush, but I can let that pass, since the image quality of the 16 Mp shooter, is one of the best that I have seen on a device.

IMG_7433.jpg

The device comes with only 2 pages of pre-loaded apps/software. (Thankfully). Samsung apps do make an appearance like the S-Health, Planner, manager, S-note, S Voice, Galaxy apps etc.

Google apps are bunched together into one folder. Perhaps they want to promote their own app bundles.

IMG_7432.jpg

I think a lot of these apps were installed at the Samsung center where I was checking out the device.

IMG_7431.jpg

I have below average hands (Thumb to pinky finger - 8 inches). And as you can see, getting to the edge of the screen with one hand, is a bit of a stretch for me. This is what kills any device that is above 5 inches in display size, for me.

The Note 5 is priced competitively at about 55,000 INR here (converted). With a non removable battery and non-expandable memory, Samsung have gone Apple's way here.

What I liked -

- Camera
    - fit and finish
    - screen response

What I didn't like -

- Screen is overkill - It could've been reduced for battery life

The Samsung S6 Edge Plus -

The Edge version of the Note 5, feels just that, an Edge version of the Note 5 -

IMG_7436.jpg

From an edge to edge operation perspective, I like the curved screen more. This does feel slimmer in the hand, when compared with the Note 5. However the back of the Note 5 does make it easier to grip vs the S6 Edge plus.

IMG_7437.jpg

The bottom profile matches that of the S6 Edge. No stylus here.

IMG_7438.jpg

The side tapers beautifully to meet the back. however I would've liked for a more pronounced taper/edge. Right now it just feels like a curve, that's about it.

IMG_7439.jpg

The device feels so sleek, I was tempted to ask - "Does it bend? " :D Would be interesting to find out if it did :D

IMG_7440.jpg

The top houses the SIM card slot and the noise cancellation microphone.

IMG_7441.jpg

The rear is similar to the S6/Edge/Note 5 with a glossy fingerprint friendly finish.

IMG_7447.jpg

This was the Note 5 in black. Dunno how this image got in here :D

IMG_7445.jpg

The edge menu has two layer of applications now. Once you slide your finger in from the edge, you can again slide between them to select different apps. This is kind of funny, since sliding from the edge to select apps, does not really require a device with a physical edge. The edge would've been better utilized for a news feed, ticker of sort that runs while you are doing other work.

IMG_7444.jpg

A good inclusion to see was Microsoft Apps. Not only this main streams MS's attempt to enter the Android market, but also to make their offerings readily and easily available to all.

I'm not going to go into the tech specs of the devices, since by now you would've probably lapped up all that information else where.

What is this good for? People who love phablets. The Note 5 is like the ultimate Phablet out there currently.

What is not good - Samsung Touch Wiz / Samsung Apps - They should give it a rest and bring out an pure Android experience for buyers. Or at least have an option at boot up for the owner to decide.

What stands out - Screen quality and the Camera.

What could've been done without - The high res screen could've been reduced in the interest of battery life.

Other cons? - No removable battery, No expandable memory.

Will it sell? Time will tell, but the Note 5 might out do the S6 Edge plus, since it is cheaper, and offers a stylus to navigate all that real estate.

The UI is smoother, and the interface faster than every. If only Samsung could tone down the Samsung parts, this is a wonderful device on the go!

2. JD666

Here's a video of the Note 5 in action. Just a quick short, didn't have much time to record longer -

3. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

All Samsung phones look the same to me.

4. JD666

With this crop, they totally do. They really need to define their line up and product categories

5. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

The previous line looked the same, then the had S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+, Note 5 all look way too similar.