Discussion Have you tried f.lux?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by JD666, Dec 5, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

An application that changes the color of your screen according to the time of day outside. It transitions between cool blue shade to a warm yellow.

Essentially, it has been proven that blue light blocks the creation of certain chemicals in our body, that induce sleep or a sleepy feeling.

Working nights, what f.lux does is reduces the blue component of the light being emitted from our LCD screens to our eyes.

f lux.jpg

You simply enter your location, the type of lighting your room has, and it tweaks the display accordingly.

You can disable it instantly, if needed for doing color sensitive work. I have now installed it on all the PCs in the house. It's a shame this does not come for iOS (Apple does not allow access to the API) else this would make browsing and surfing great on the iPad/iPhone.

Do try it, if you are not already doing so. Get it here - f.lux: software to make your life better

It reduces the glare so much, that My eyes start to hurt when I disable it.

If you are a user, do share your experience/feedback.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I do use it on all my machines, but have to turn it off when I do color critical work, like graphic designing and photo correction.

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Though f.lux could be installed on Jailbroken iPhones, Apple have finally heeded and introduced NightShift in iOS 9.3. It works on the same principle (location and time of day) .

The good bit probably would be that you don't need an additional application on your phone, since it comes built in. MiUi also has a reading mode, that filters out blue light from the display.

What I like is, that they have provided a toggle to enable/disable this right from the homescreen (Xiaomi).