Discussion HELP Required to create a Social Media Website

Discussion in 'RAIDers League' started by Vaneja, Jun 27, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Vaneja

Vaneja RAID Rookie

Hi,

I am planning to start a social media website to bring awareness to our society in regards to the common issues, problems and social unjustice we all face. For that I have already booked a name for the website and also taken hosting space about 10GB to start with. However I personally have no idea as to how do I go about developing this site (Technically).

The Idea:

People should be able to put up pictures of the issue or problem faced and give a small write up attached. (Once they submit it should go online only if I or some moderator along with me approves it). Then others can start giving comments or feedbacks on it like posting replies to a thread (something like facebook).

Initially we will be discussing social issues and working on small events to work towards society at large in various cities across country.

Looking for creative inputs from everyone..... Cheers

2. sumonpathak

sumonpathak RAID Rookie

dont have too much idea about it...but how about give the users a simple area to post and keep it under moderation?
    i think WP has a similar process...

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I am liking it.. Waiting for more inputs!

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Vaneja: 3 Points (Good Guy) Jun 27, 2012
  4. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Nice idea. We have plenty of guys here to help with the technical aspect ;)

5. Vaneja

Vaneja RAID Rookie

giving a simple area to post is ok but then it would not sync with the kind of diversification we might see in issues or problems that our society has. Plus It can have headings such as Corruption, System Mismanagement, Anti Social Elements E.t.c and under these subheadings people can start different threads or posts

6. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

If I see some form of injustice taking place.. Bribery for instance I can come to your website and upload what ever info I have of that incident (Pics & Name/Dept/Location) ..then it will showcased to the public.

Will I be able to do this anonymously ?

You will need to take care of libel/defamation .. have a big disclaimer for that or ensure that not specifically identifying info is uploaded about anyone.

7. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Get your ideas here Vaneja.. !!! I am ready to fight the establishment and soread th eword !!!
    for you alone, it will be very difficult to promote the site, we can make this happen !! the RAIDers I mean !!

JD666 likes this.
  8. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

make sure you make kapil sibal as a member of your website.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  9. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

a. the concept that you are planning would be a big time bomb. if it reaches the scale we would like it to, expect government intervention and general discouragement of your website ..such as slow load times, failing dns queries etc. Of course, this is apart from the possibility of legal trouble.
    the answer to this , to an extent is to ensure ownership and operations of the website completely off indian shores.

b. we are here to help.ask away. I would have asked you to do something on our website itself. but i see that your idea is of a focused nature. perhaps we can live as sister websites. anyhow, you will always have support from senior members here.

P.S: i heard about your whole idea offline from JD. what a domain name sirji!

JD666 and ManISinJpr like this.
  10. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Agree on points a and b. I wanted to say this my self, about integrating with us but refrained. Anyways want to know the domain name you have registered.

11. Vaneja

Vaneja RAID Rookie

Boss, No need for anonymity anymore and yes if the person wants they can post anything in anonymous mode - thats one. second as i mentioned in the first thread that I will be looking at each and every post before it can be published and approve / edit for making it go low on the controversial end while ensuring that no loss of media/message is there (trust me when i say this as I have worked enough with Media, NGO's and other fortune cookie tellers aka brand managers) for a smooth running of ops.

as far as libelity disclaimers are concerned - The First Amendment of the Constitution of India, enacted in 1951, made several changes to the Fundamental Rights provisions of the constitution. It provided against abuse of freedom of speech and expression

Still I can put a worth working disclaimer in place as I have just started to pursue my entrance exams for LLB.
    --- Post Merged: Jun 27, 2012 5:26 PM ---

Thanks for the support chief.... though I want a lot of support in ensuring that balance is kept and only a handful (maybe 2 or 3) moderators are in place and rest everyone can play with the cheese cake.....would need suggestions on how to make that work as well
    --- Post Merged: Jun 27, 2012 5:27 PM ---
    already speaking to someone who is his family member
    ;)

ManISinJpr likes this.
  12. dbg

Forget Article 18 .. There is essentially no official protection for the Press in India ..

13. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

first pointer: find out how reddit works ( base technology/software). i suppose you want something on those lines?

14. dbg

He wants something like Wikileaks ..

15. Vaneja

Vaneja RAID Rookie

A. Everything starts from a scratch and that is where I am right now, I don't know how big it will be but all I know is that Its an honest approach to rectify the system or atleast create a parallel one to help all those who we can

B. I am ready to face whatever they throw my way as I hardly care (When you have nothing to loose all you can do is gain). Legal Trouble - well my dad just became a full time lawyer (one of very few in India to achieve that at age of 63 and I am starting with it myself, so Bring it on as the website is the essescence of and would be dealt with on Indian grounds)

C. I am going to be doing a lot on Raid101 as well which JD can always share with you in time to come as this is a sidewinder and would only occupy 30% of my time.

Finally thanks for all the future support in advance
    --- Post Merged: Jun 27, 2012 5:37 PM ---
    Its ok bro... if everyone remains scared and keeps thinkin on those lines... when or where is the change going to come in.... atleast I am tryin and honestly whats the worst that can happen .... A Man goes down but looking at the results Maybe 100 will stand and thats what is called change

JD666 and dbg like this.
  16. dbg

There will be legal threats but with RTI and all .. you can back up your claims/expose with facts ..
    I think there are a few other ventures like yours .. you can try to look them up.

17. Vaneja

Vaneja RAID Rookie

honestly RPM I am not tech savvy at all... my imaginations is like this..... A Admin page where i login then see all the submission for articles (have the option to edit or delete any one I think is in need of) then approve and boom they go online.... then people can see them and post comments on them ...(I can also edit or delete comments as admin)---- Thats the kind of thing I had in mind.

JD666 likes this.
  18. sumonpathak

sumonpathak RAID Rookie

i can help out with legal stuffs...

JD666 likes this.
  19. Vaneja

Vaneja RAID Rookie

Not bothered with any of those.....all i want is support in a nutshell to make it stand once and from there I can take care of things (atleast with those who wish to join hands)
    --- Post Merged: Jun 27, 2012 5:41 PM ---
    will let u know in case need support there... but thanks for sharing in advance

20. dbg

Admire your spirit good sir ..