HERE Maps Vs Google Maps??

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by Rockfella, Jan 31, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

After always being paranoid of getting lost driving in Delhi/NCR I finally bought the new Nokia Lumia 525 on 26-1-14. Lumia 625 was on my mind but it is shaped like a soap and the higher models were out of budget/huge/not needed so settled with 525.

Yes, wanna know real world/in the trenches experience /views of both. I bought this phone for the sole purpose of navigation, am happy with my Asha 210 as a back up or who knows primary phone.

The 525 is a newer 520 with 1GB ram (good for gaming they say) instead of 512 mb of the 520. It comes with full fledged GPS.

Have been head banging with its GPS since then.

My thoughts:

I have tried Google maps (on Android phone?) once or twice, though the navigation was okay I didn't like the female's voice lol, she sounded like she was in a hurry and wanted to get to my destination before me lol and for some reason it didn't feel top notch (IMO) but that is just my experience with Google maps (Android phone) only twice and on a friend's phone with no tweaking and he was not a regular GPS user anyway so can't rely on a non-geek's advice hence posting this thread here.

Please share your experience with both. What's the difference between My Commute and Here Drive?
    To my surprise I was receiving stupid airtel notifications while returning home last evening with the GPS and "cellular" on. The updates blocked the GPS! :wtf: and I had to switch back to main screen to get navigation again :banghead:

Then I went offline (flight mode) to avoid airtel notifications but felt that it degraded turn by turn navi as it missed a shorter route back from work.

Please share your thoughts.

***** Phone n00b alert *****

idutt likes this.
  2. Rockfella

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Nice. download and update maps for Delhi/NCR, Haryana, UP etc. This will ensure that maps are available even if there is no data connection.

Benefits of Here maps -

1) Works offline. You don't need a data connection or a mobile connection. If there is a built in GPS receiver, it takes the position directly from the GPS satellites overhead. Yes a clear open area helps, and inside a car takes longer. However you are not reliant on a mobile signal or data plan.

2) Maps can be reviewed offline - You can view a route, details, search etc offline. Do not have to use data.

3) Does not consume excessive data when in use. Google maps download maps real time and display them (unless you have a particular area stored offline). Even a 2G connection works fine with Nokia maps.

4) No ads! Big big benefit

5) No sponsored results - Another much needed filtration.

6) The Navigation lady won't hurry you thru your route :)

Downside -

- Probably not as up to date as Google Maps, but sure as hell more accurate.

I'm in the process of selling my Razr, and going for a Lumia, for yes, the Maps!

idutt, Rockfella and ManISinJpr like this.
  4. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Get the 1520 !! Please...
    The best phone in the world..

Congratulations to you :) Nice phone..
    JD has explained eberything nicely so nothing to add there from me.

idutt and JD666 like this.
  5. JD666

Too big for everyday use Bhai. Need something regular sized like 620 or 720

idutt likes this.
  6. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

No !! Nothing below 1GB ram coz many games will not run on it.. !!
    Get the Lumia 925 !! the second best.. !

7. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I guess something to do with locations. So far google maps have not failed me UK

idutt likes this.
  8. Rockfella

Hey sorry, saw this post after asking you on whatsapp.

idutt likes this.
  9. Rockfella

Thanks for the inputs.

Thanks for the inputs. One geeky question. On GPS my home area shows up as unpaved or some development area = in other words I think the map is probably very old. When I try to update maps it says it is fully updated! But it gives an option to download full new maps? Will downloading new maps change things?

--- Double Post Merged, Jan 31, 2014 ---

525 is the best as it has 1GB ram and fits in my pocket without tearing it off Manish Bhai.

idutt likes this.
  10. JD666

Certain roads are not detailed. Not much of a hassle TBH

idutt likes this.
  11. Rockfella

Yup, with data on is the navi more accurate or just fast or both? I picked up Vinny from work and switched on flight mode (to avoid airtel notifications which completely block navigation WTF!!!). It somehow missed a shorter route. Could it be because data was off? Vineet said he had measured both roads on the car's tripmeter and Here Maps did miss the shorter route. This is not a deal breaker but I am curious. Maybe "faster route" was on, maybe offline mode maps didn't have that missed road on it .. which will make me use mobile data which i don't mind as i hardly use anyway.

idutt likes this.
  12. JD666

With Airplane mode on, the internal GPS location receiver should also switch off. That could possibly be one of the reasons.

See for maps to function you need to enable Location, even if you are using it in offline mode.

With data on, position fix is faster (time to acquire location after switching on). Accuracy is nearly the same once the receiver get's the lock.

idutt likes this.
  13. Rockfella

I don't know if the internal receiver switches off but will right now.

idutt likes this.
  14. JD666

Did you install Connectivity tiles yet?

idutt likes this.
  15. Rockfella

I have some tiles, not connectivity tiles, i have tweaked the entire main screen to my preference, i see wireless & cellular tiles on the main screen. Is that what you mean?

idutt likes this.
  16. JD666

Yes, you should also have control options for Data, location, bluetooth etc.

idutt likes this.
  17. Rockfella

Yup all set. All functional tiles on main screen captain!

18. Rockfella

In some phones GPS receiver is turned off in flight mode, not sure about 525, have to search.

idutt likes this.
  19. Rockfella

Hey I get sim notifications (know your bhavishya/cricket scores) while being navigated which sucks because it shuts off the gps completely!! If i don't tap back to the map screen i won't get any directions! This is so dumb, I have to constantly look at the phone to make sure i don't notifications like that or rather tap back to map screen once i get one. Is there a workaround for that??

This is dangerous as it really distracts while driving.

idutt likes this.
  20. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

congrats on your new phone great buy i will help you use the navigation & even explain you the phone as well