heres why apple went ahead with the 4.0in design for iphone 5

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by TheMightyS, Sep 22, 2012.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

Most people here wondered if Steve would have turned in his grave or had he been alive this wouldnt have happened or finally apple copies the market when apple came out with a larger screen. What they failed to notice was that since it was thinner it allowed a better Reachability to all the working edges of the phone unlike its garangutan competeitors. Since its out to the public now we have a better understanding of where we stand . Heres acclaimed critic and write Sam Biddle's comparison from gizmodo

The new iPhone isn't just faster—it's taller. It's your more athletic, better looking friend who you kind of hate. But how does it fit in your mitt? We put together an animated guide versus the competition.
    The iPhone 5 isn't wider than its predecessor—just taller. This means that you won't have to stretch your thumb and fingers as much when doing repetitive smartphone hand tasks. This means less strain, faster action, and a more comfortable pocket tool.
    I tested out the 3.5-inch iPhone 4S, 4-inch iPhone 5, and 4.7-inch HTC One X over the same four motions: power button, unlock swiping, notification pulldown, and just grasping the things.
    [​IMG]
    For the record, I have normal-sized hands. Here is proof.

Holding the phone

Here's each phone in my hand. The 4S is like holding a little baby chipmunk.
    [​IMG]

The iPhone 5 is just as thin, so just as palm-able.
    [​IMG]

The HTC, not so much. It's girthy.
    [​IMG]

Swiping across the phone

We unlocked each phone with a swipe of the thumb. The iPhone 4S is a breeze.
    [​IMG]

The iPhone 5 is that exact same breeze.
    Full size
    [​IMG]

The HTC's wider and taller screen requires more of a thumb extension.
    Full size
    [​IMG]

Swiping down notifications

This is a very important one! Pulling down the notification drawer requires a full upward thumb jump—and it's a gesture you use constantly. This could be bad for your hand.
    The 4S is pretty much perfect—you hardly have to stretch your thumb at all to hit the top of the screen.
    Full size
    [​IMG]

Apple managed to actually managed to squeeze in more vertical pixels without requiring any further thumb exercise. Only those with baby hands will need to acclimate.
    Full size
    [​IMG]

The One X can be tiring. It requires more extension than the iPhone, and that can add up. It's just not as well suited for a hand.
    Full size
    [​IMG]

Powering off (or on!)

A phone's sleep button is another handset g-spot, and if you have to work for it every time, it's an actual pain.
    The iPhone 4S is perfect in this regard. It takes very, very little movement to hit the sleep button.
    Full size
    [​IMG]

The iPhone 5 requires some hand extension. You can feel it.
    Full size
    [​IMG]

The One X requires the most, unsurprisingly, demanding an actual hand stretch to reach that spot. Not ideal.
    Full size
    [​IMG]

The iPhone 5 is a great ergonomic compromise. It's less comfortable than the 4S, yes, but still manages a larger screen with more pixels without asking us to do things that might make our hands uncomfortable.

2. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

most points are idiotic , other than the power button thing ... and i have been saying that since a long time , and for me the power button on the samsung is perfectly placed

3. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

idiotic?? would you be intelligent enough for reasoning.. also this was the reasoning by Steve Jobs.. either you make urself bigger than him to call it idiotic or ....... u know what i feel.. dont you

4. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

if u have ever owned an android phone u would know

okay here are the reasons :
    1 ) the lockscreen thing ... y on earth do u need to move your entire finger if u just need to move the circle ?? u have to move it 1-2 inches .. the way he extends his finger till the end as if showing that he actually has to is just misguiding people
    i have used the AOSP jb , the sense , miui one [alot from this rom] and the ios lockscreen [from an iphone , and not from an android phone ]
    and no the easiest isnt the ios one .. its the one from miui [the prev ones from earlier builds] and the finger movement isnt easier on the ios lockscreen in anyway at all

2) the notification bar - if u really have any trouble in reaching the top of the screen u can just as easily use gestures[built into launchers] , then f*ck the top of the phone u just have to swipe from the top down from anywhere and just have to move an inch

and i have already said that i never liked the top power button location

ooh , and if steve said all this it must b all true , cause he is a saint always tells the god honest truth ... not like he is saying this to support his products

also calling me an idiot doesnt help your argument at all

pELLuRD and harryneopotter like this.
  5. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

1. if u have used One X or for that matter any HTC phone .. by swiping the circle to one of the apps u can launch them.. also if u leave the circle midway .. even 80% of the way.. it doesnt gets unlocked
    2. we are talking about the whole logic of the UI and not what something that is not Default
    • and btw not liking top power buttons is not something we are debating/discussin here ..
    • and we ARE discussing why most people felt STEVE MUST HAVE TURNED IN HIS GRAVE on the 4.0in screen which according to some critics can still be held comfortably in the hands with the same design ideology followed by the Late Steve jobs of the thumb extending to the top edge of the screen
    • Lastly , i dint call u an idiot.. but u are free to term yourself whatever you want

6. superm4n

superm4n RAID Rookie

i have used the onex , sensation , miui with sense lockscreen
    and u dont lauch an app by draging the circle to it .. but dragging the icon to the circle , hense by touching the circle u cant lauch another app but only unlock the phone
    and seriously 80% of the way , the guy in the vid leaves it at just above where the icons are ... i dont think thats 80% at all ... so your argument is invalid

we arnt talking about the default ui but y the screen is smaller .. and the reason u give is to reach the notification bar [which i can easily do on my nexus with minimal effort] and u have an alternative on the android and suddenly its invalid for u ... great going

also , we are talking about the placement of the powerbutton ... the whole point of the entire topic is to make the phone have the most ergonomic design ... changing the placement of the powerbutton makes it much easier to reach even with a bigger screen so plus plus

also , i recently found out that u make childish arguments , and clearly again your defending your post now
    so no longer interested

7. TheMightyS

TheMightyS ActiveRAIDer

:mog:my whole post was about how

and all ur arguments are on Yay my FunDroid can do it .. blah blah blah...

the whole process/reason for customisation, which is available on both platforms ,is for preferred use and access

And yes its all bout THE DEFAULT UI.. comparison cannot be made on non-uniform custom based UI ..

another illogical android bragger.. another person for my ignore list ..

8. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

TheMightyS
    When you post something which was taken from a website you have to specify the URL of that particular news.I am going to give 24 hours to update the OP with proper links where the article was taken from or else i am locking this thread.

I would like to advice you to stay away from making these kinds of personal attacks on other members.

harryneopotter likes this.
  9. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

Thread locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.