Home Made Pizzas - Easy Bake method

Discussion in 'F&F - Food and Fitness' started by JD666, Jul 16, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Pizza is love, Pizza is life. And if you don't have enough of it, it's just not worth living. After researching several recipes online, we finally came up with little mash up of our own, that worked quite well.

Now, to make this recipe easy, we are going to break it up in 3 parts. However the over all preparation is pretty easy, if you have the right tools and ingredients. Not to freak out the first timer, but this would be great for a weekend day time affair (spend time in the kitchen of sorts). It can be done on shorter notice, however the aftermath (clean up) is quite a bit.

Okay, now pizza has 3 main components to it. The dough, or crust, The sauce and The toppings.

You will need (in all) -

A - For the Dough -

- 2 1/2 cups of flour. If you use self rising or bread flour the crust would be better, but not as healthier. We used a mix of Whole Wheat and Multi-Grain flour.

- Yeast - Activated or dry Yeast. If using activated yeast, then you don't need to add too much sugar or salt. If it is dry yeast, then mix yeast, sugar (2 tea spoon) in Luke warm water (1 1/2 cups) and keep aside for 10 minutes or so until bubbling/frothing.

- Oil - 2 Tablespoons (we used Olive) for the dough. You can add more if needed.

Mix the ingredients into the flour until a consistent dough is prepared. It should be slightly on the drier side, and not stick too much. Cover with cling film and keep aside, since the yeast needs to ferment the dough and increases the size -

IMG_7126.jpg

This was the dough after preparation and before covering.

IMG_7130.jpg

And this was the swollen up dough after about 30 minutes.

B - For the Sauce -

- You can either go for ready made Pizza sauce, if you are short on time. Or just spend some time in preparing this super easy Tomato base pizza sauce at home.

What you need -

- 2 tetrapaks or about 350-380 ml of Tomato Puree.
    - 1/2 Tsp Pepper
    - 1 1/2 Tsp each of Oregano, Basil and RoseMary
    - 2 Tablespoon - Oil
    - Garlic - 2 cloves finely chopped or Garlic powder (go with cloves, better)
    - Water - to thin the paste for application
    - Salt - To taste.

IMG_7107.jpg

This was the consistency that we went for.

IMG_7108.jpg

The ingredients - Salt, Oregano, Basil, Black pepper, Olive oil.

IMG_7109.jpg

Finely chopped Garlic. We realized we didn't have any Rosemary at home, so this called for a trip to the Supermarket. That gave the dough time to rise as well.

IMG_7111.jpg

Rosemary in the house and ready to be added. Paste also needs to be kept aside for a few minutes.

Prepare both the dough and paste, and then move on to the next step

C - Toppings

Which is the best bit about Pizza. You can use any toppings you like! We used -

- Mozzarella Cheese - For everything to stick to the pizza.

- Feta Cheese

- Rocca leaves

- Capsicum (green)

- Onion

- Tomatoes (Cherry ones are nicer when baked)

- Broccoli

- Olives

- Mushroom

and the sky is your limit. Some people put pineapple as well on their pizzas so it is eventually down to personal choice.

Just remember to chop them right and spread them out evenly. I'm quite proud of my newly acquired chopping skills, so will share some photos here -

IMG_7120.jpg
    Cherry Tomatoes and Capsicum.

IMG_7125.jpg

White onion, much better for a pizza compared to our Indian onion.

IMG_7129.jpg

Feta Cheese. I love the salty flavor of this cheese. Fattening, but if you get a low fat/low salt version, totally worth it.

IMG_7121.jpg

Black Olives - Ready cut - Figaro. I generally prefer cutting my olives myself, however was slightly short on time on this one. Go for black only. Green would be a real adventure to be honest.

IMG_7128.jpg

Broccoli. Stems off, sliced into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces.

IMG_7124.jpg

Rocca leaves or Rocket leaves, with the stems cut, and washed. I like the bitter taste of Rocca, so it had to be a topping on my pizza. Only difference is, we add it to the pizza, a few minutes before it is ready to be removed from the oven.

Alright. Now the hard parts.

1 - Rolling the dough -

This can be done using regular methods, but needs some preparation in terms of transferring the ready pizza from the table to the oven. We rolled the dough between sheets of paper to ensure they do not stick to anything -

IMG_7132.jpg

Now the more refined the flour (and un-healthy) and oil it has, the easier it is to work with.
    IMG_7133.jpg

This has to be super thin, as we found out later. As thin as rolling a chapati perhaps.

Once done, make small pock marks with a spoon -

IMG_7134.jpg

And spread the sauce -

IMG_7136.jpg

Remember to not lay it on too thick. If sauce gets left over, you can refrigerate it for 2-3 days, or apply it on bread and enjoy :D

IMG_7137.jpg

Ready for cheese!

IMG_7139.jpg

I used the grater directly over the pizza to grate the cheese on. You can grate the cheese on a plate and spread it by hand, but I felt this was a much easier method, since grated cheese tends to stick. So letting it drop directly on the pizza is much easier. Plus you can swoop up all the extra pieces on the side and use them for the next one.

IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

Toppings added. Ready for the oven.

D - Baking -

Very important. Generally people use a pizza stone or steel plate to cook pizza on. They let the oven pre-heat for about 30 minutes on full (220-240 degrees C) and let the plate/stone soak the heat in. This gives a really crispy crust to the pizza.

We didn't have either of the items, so we got a pizza crisper -

IMG_7112.jpg

This was soaked in the oven for about 10 minutes before transferring the pizza to it. Best idea ever!

Also. Be warned. Handling giant pizzas ( 6 inches and above, yes) can be a hassle if you do not have the right tools. So you are better off making mini pizzas, which cook in the same time, and allow everyone to customize their pizzas as per their own liking.

IMG_7151.jpg

These are much easier to handle and prepare as well.

IMG_7150.jpg

The crust came out pretty decent on these pizza, with the cheese sticking everything together pretty well. However for next time, we would be looking at more refined flour vs regular flour in the pizza.

Hope you guys enjoyed this as much as we enjoyed making it. No, it is actually easier to write this article than to prepare this :D

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

looks nice minus broccoli.