Hotel hygiene / How to save yourself from falling ill on a trip

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Sep 7, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

After a recent discussion with a friend, who fell ill during a recent trip. He blamed it on the weather, the food, his exhaustion, but overlooked one gross factor. When I inquired more about his trip, and asked for details like where he ate or spent most of his time, the answer was one common point - His hotel.

Yes, often overlooked, but Hotel rooms are a breeding ground for various virus/bacteria that can cause a lot of harm, especially if your immunity system is not at its best. Spending a lot of time in the Air conditioned environment can be quite adverse on your body's immunity system and can cause illness, if not serious ones. (Note - serious illness/disease is also quite possible).

So I listed out some things that one must do/not do when staying in a hotel.

For starters it all depends on how much of a stickler are you with cleanliness. Secondly, how much of your trip do you want to enjoy/relish. If it's a business trip, falling sick might be the best thing that could happen to someone. However you do have to endure the flight/train back home as well. Which will make you miserable to no end.

In no particular order, as always.

Always pack the following items in your travel gear -

1 - A ziplock bag - For the TV bugs. Wrap the remote in this before usage. Alternately, if you miss carrying one, just take it down for dinner/breakfast, and get some cling film and wrap it in that.

2 - Alcohol or wet wipes - These work great for a quick wipe down.

- Wipe - All door handles/knobs/switches/points/electrical points/ethernet points/phones/handsets (especially handsets).

- Also wipe - Toilet bowls, seat, flush handle, taps, faucets etc.

- Remember, not everyone is as bothered about sanitation as you. So for all you know, the last person left his/her fecal matter on the knob you just turned.

3 - Use a towel on the shelf/basin to keep your toiletries on.

4 - Carry your own Towel - People use hotel towels for anything from wiping their shoes to jerking off on. Most housekeeping has been seen/caught cleaning the floors with them. Would you wanna use that to wipe yourself? Hell no.

5 - Avoid a smoking room - Even if you are a smoker. Smoking rooms are a major health hazard, to smokers as well, due to the high levels of toxic substances that are left as residue. It is not a pleasant experience, especially when sleeping. The residual smell of smoke keeps you awake, and is bad for your health. Like smoking 24/7 bad.

6 - If you are going to be staying for several days in a hotel, try and be present for your room cleaning every few days. This will ensure that everything gets attended to and is cleaned.

7 - Carry a portable glass/cup for your drinks/tea/coffee - Or just flick one from breakfast. Most cups, glasses in a hotel room are simply rinsed and washed with regular soap and put back into the bar/tea counter. I would either make them ash-trays (so the staff would be forced to replace them with fresh glasses) or get my glasses from breakfast. Alternately, i would wash them myself before usage.

Or just drink straight from the bottle. The way I like my beer.

8 - Rinse the electric kettle before usage. You have no idea how long that water has been standing in it. Run at least 2 glasses of water to full boil and then rinse the kettle before preparing any hot beverage for yourself.

9 - If you are planning to stay several days, or stop in several different hotels, it is best to pack a bed lining. I did this for my Leh trip, and irrespective of where, and in what I slept, I was inside my lining, with the layer protecting me from all bugs/germs/and what not that might be inside the sheets.

10 - For the really extreme on cleanliness, a black light or UV torch, will help find dirty spots in your room. This is again, if you are absolutely pedantic about the quantum of cleaning being done in your room.

Other tips -

It won't hurt to carry a small dis-infectant to sterilize areas that would be used. most helpful with the toilet and shower areas. Remember to wipe from outside to the inside and not the other way around.

If you have any other tips with regards to maintaining your hygiene in a hotel, feel free to add below!

2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Reminds me of Ocean's Thirteen where they infected the bed of the hotel reviewer.

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Lol.