Discussion How are RAM Voltages decided?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by Acroback, Aug 5, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

I know based on fabrication they underwent.

Lower the operating voltage better the RAM generally.

But for a layman, this all is redundant.

We primarily see 1.65V and 1.5V RAMs in market.

How does these work when interchanged with each other's slots?

Will a 1.5V RAM work optimally when pushed into a DIMM slot feeding 1.65V to it? Will it OC automatically?

How does a 1.65V RAM respond in a DIMM slot feeding 1.5V to it? Does it underclocks? Or it just starts BSOD'ing under stress? Or runs sub optimally?

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

1- a 1.5 ram will work in a 1.65v slot, but you'll run the risk of burning them or they will run hot.

If your board has a higher default setting for voltage, that can be lowered from bios then it's okay to run 1.5v on 1.65v and then lower the voltage from bios.

A 1.65 ram should also work in a 1.5v slot though under mem test it might give errors. Best to bump up the voltage from the board.

Also ram can be overclocked by two bits, either faster speed or tighter timings. A stick that runs tighter timings at lower volts would be better. Gives toy more more overclocking headway.

Dunno about the new I series, but on lga 775, the ram speed had to be a fixed multiplier of the fsb. However the important bit being, it's not going to overclock itself, you'll have to play with speeds and voltage to see.

My recommendation would be to first see how fast you can go on auto timings. See if loosening em helps. Then bump volts a bit and see if any increase.

Tightening the timings should be played with last.

3. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

That tells me Corsair XMS3 DDR3 kit I was getting for 55$ is no use for me.
    I would rather take a 8GB Team kit @70$ which runs natively at 1.5V at 9 CAS latency.

It also makes Team kit a very good one with good Overclocking headroom with some more scope for tighter timings. But tighting timings is a futile exercise with modern architectures, bumping voltage to get higher MHz is the real deal.

Even 13-14 CAS latency results in very insignificant performance drop, which no one cares unless you are making a fancy chart and measurbating on it like religious zealots.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  4. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Team kits are good. And yes 9 cas at 1.5v means a lot of overclocking headroom.