How many of you have downloaded the Release Preview of WIndows 8?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by ManISinJpr, Jun 28, 2012.

Share This Page

1. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Hey guys and gals, It is time we get prepared for cathching the fruit that is going to fall in our laps when it is released, I am talking about the betterment and more eyeballs for the community, it doesn't matter if you don't like it or would never use it....
    But be prepared, start by downloading it and using it !!
    if not on a spare HDD then use a VM !! it runs fantastically well on that too..

Just try, so that we can all be ready to answer all kinds of vague questions and suggstions about th eimpending change in the way GUI based OSes are going to be in th efuture..

thanks

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

JD666 likes this.
  2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Downloading now.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  3. pELLuRD

pELLuRD RAID Rookie

I have tried it. I plan not to use it again till I get a touch screen.

4. ManISinJpr

I am using it as a non touch screen OS !!! there is everything but for the normal start button, we have to hack it a little ;)

5. pELLuRD

pELLuRD RAID Rookie

Scrolling was a bit awkward for me. Will give it a try later when it launches though

ManISinJpr likes this.
  6. JD666

Downloaded and installed... And I do not like it one bit at all!

Rockfella and MrsJD666 like this.
  7. sumonpathak

sumonpathak RAID Rookie

if the benching score differs by a lot then am sold..or else am sticking to windows....
    the dload speed is killing me
    :censored:

8. ManISinJpr

Getting used to it is essential that is why I said get used ot it ! and come on JD, even my son is comfortable with it !!

9. JD666

will try.. but no promises... :(

10. theBanik

theBanik RAID Rookie

have downloaded it but havent got around to installing it yet though....

11. JD666

As the missus says, it feels like operating a windows lumia phone with a touchpad/mouse.

Moreover during installation if I mentioned my location as India, could they not provide me with more location specific information, rather than displaying news about some basketball player in US!

Thirdly, I feel the lack of tweaking/customization/ability to get into control panel etc, kinda scary. That they don't really want us getting into the system.

Same problem I have with lumia, It restricts the ability to go into stuff in detail like settings, information etc etc.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Rockfella: 10 Points (Informative post.) Jul 7, 2012
    Rockfella and mrnikhilsudo like this.
  12. ManISinJpr

LOLz.. I use it as Windows 7 ( in functionality ) and Windows 8 ( tiled interfaces both ) your email account information is set to US and this it will display that info only !!
    I can do more on my Windows phone 7 as you know than people can do on anything else.. ;) it is a matter of experimenting and tweaking, did you try the full normal interface ?

13. SumitB

SumitB RAID Staff Staff Member

I would have downloaded and tried Windows 8 but at the moment, whats keeping me away from it is the fact that MS has changed the OEM Licensing procedure from the previous SLP & SLIC to UEFI which makes it extremely difficult for *ahem* versions to work on the OEM hack method which does not require any 3rd party crack to work. While enthusiasts are working on it and a workable solution is expected to be found by the time Windows 8 is released (September 2012?).

JD666 likes this.
  14. ManISinJpr

Bro !! it is free, there is even a installation key provided there !! and this will run till this year end or November !!
    --- Post Merged: Jun 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM ---
    Here it is.
    TK8TP-9JN6P-7X7WW-RFFTV-B7QPF

15. SumitB

I know its free *for now*. I don't want to use it and in case I like it and the UEFI hack has not been released, be stranded. Just the way I think :p

16. ManISinJpr

LOLz.. then its ok, but it is funny that you can buy those fruit things and not a single license for this ;)

17. SumitB

The thing about fruity products is that they seldom crash and I have never paid for software, be it fruit related or MS related. :)

18. ManISinJpr

I would not debate that here ;) coz my MS products have not crashed on me and if they have it has been due to hardware. ;)
    but that is for another day.. I still have Win XP which I installed in 2003 !!! working for me !

SumitB likes this.
  19. SumitB

I have got a reason to move my storage server to Windows 8 once it is released. I have been using Windows Home Server on my storage server for a while and it caters to my home entertainment needs and stored about 12TB of media files. However, MS removed the capability of adding a new hard drive (of any capacity/interface) to the system without worrying about the consequences and the newly available space would be automatically added to the storage pool using Drive Extender in the upgraded WHS 2011 which was a setback to users like me. However, it seems that there is hope for this in Windows 8 if MS indeed adds the new concept of Storage Spaces in the upcoming operating system. If this indeed is true, I will soon be reviving my plans to get the 24 bay storage chassis from Norco and then the possibilities are limitless. :)

Rockfella and ManISinJpr like this.
  20. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Same here.