Advise How NOT to lose data, the first time you install LINUX!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by fleshfragger, Aug 14, 2012.

Share This Page

1. fleshfragger

fleshfragger RAID Rookie

Its very common for a person to lose data, while installing linux for the first time on his machine. People dont read the manual prior to the installation, and in the end, lose all their primary data. I am writing this article, as a friend of mine took some free advice from me, tried to install linux, and got his machine completely "F.U.B.A.R"-ed. So, I hope you read this article, before you embark on this perilous but exciting journey.

Few pointers :-

1)Linux cant damage your hardware, contrary to some beliefs.
    2) Linux is not responsible for the loss of your data:- You have to be careful, while selecting the partition. If you select the partition containing data, for formatting / change of Filesystem, you will invariably lose data.
    3)Without getting your hands dirty, you cant become an expert at Linux installation. No amount of literature will help you. So lets get down to business.

Okay, so first things first, you need to select a distro you are going to get started with. You will be spoilt for choices here!

You can check out some preliminary information on distros here:- DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Generally for a newbie, the community recommends:-

Ubuntu - I won't recommend his. Bit complex

Kubuntu - More Info- Ubuntu (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Linux Mint- More Info- Linux Mint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another important read :- Desktop Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It should be clear in your mind that it doesn't matter which distro / desktop environment you are using because, ultimately, all of it boils down to a personal preference.

So once you have finalized a distro, your next task is to get it's installer on a bootable medium.This is an easy step as its generally an iso file, and you can either download it, or you can browse through utility software dvd of various Tech - magazines like Linux For U or Digit. Use this to create a bootable flash drive UNetbootin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now , as you have a bootable installer, you can easily boot from it. If after restart, its not working(installation media is still plugged in), have a look at this :-http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm

After the restart, the things are as easy as a cakewalk.

Next important task is creating a partition for the OS, in which the installation will take place.

For more info on a detailed directory structure and filesystem of Linux go here:- Tech Blog ยป Linux file system

Pointers:-

One primary partition for windows.
    Extended Partitioning:- NTFS formatted partition to be used as your D drive.
    ext journaling filesystem for / (root) on linux.
    ext partition for /home
    swap partition

The partition creating process is in GUI and is installer dependent. It is extremely easy, and self explanatory.

Some important links:-

Linux Know-How: Newbie Guide

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/index.html

Portal:Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope now you wont make any errors. :)

All the best.!

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    initpidzero: 90 Points (let there be open source.) Aug 14, 2012
    JD666: 50 Points (well posted!) Aug 16, 2012
    MrsJD666, JD666 and Nicko like this.
  2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

[​IMG]

Nicko likes this.
  3. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

1. Linux can damage your hardware.
    2. Linux cannot recover your damaged hardware.

Keep improving.

4. fleshfragger

fleshfragger RAID Rookie

I am sorry?

5. Invader

Invader RAID Rookie

did lose all my data a long time back ... :( ... was a kid then .. tried installing red hat linux ... had no idea about the disk partitioning and the formats linux used .. hence .... all gone :( .. . thou i know enough now ... :) .. goin good with ubuntu ... and also with dual boot ...

6. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

I meant to clarify that the statement you wrote "Linux cant damage your hardware, contrary to some beliefs." is not correct.
    It can damage your hardware because of a small bug anywhere in the stack. rest the article is good.

If you felt offended, I am sorry.

7. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I remember using ubuntu netbook remix 9, on a sandisk super fast usb stick ( it was installed on it. ) Allowed me to use my lappy as normal, while keeping everything discreet.

I think the market is ripe for linux. If they can start maybe an app store as well like google or apple. ( Serious suggestion )

8. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

It is already there, started by Canonical.
    In fact Debian's package installation in unmatched by any goddamn OS on earth.
    Not even OS-X comes close it.

No wonder canonical is launching a App store over debian's superior package management system.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 25 Points (good info! This does change the game.) Aug 16, 2012
    JD666 likes this.
  9. BANHAMMER

INCORRECT.
    Stacks are completely software abstraction, even on assembly level they are just implementations with specialized instructions like push, pop, call ret.
    Having said that, software can mess up with hardware and make changes, which may leave them unusable, however, it's very much possible to recover from that state.
    There are 1 in billion chances of software destroying a hardware, that too only when you mess up at assembly level, which have 99% chances of getting recovered at any point of time.
    The very corner case of software messing with hardware is dealing with devices with NAND or NOR based storage, which are very finicky and have certain restrictions on how to read and write them.
    For most part only specialized devices have such memory and people who know what they are doing handles such cases.

10. Acroback

Acroback RAID Rookie

Looks like you should write a driver for storage controllers to see what it can do.
    There is no such thing as assembly level. All hardwares understands is 1 or 0, armed with gates. Assembly language as good as any other language in userspace.
    You cannot do much with assembly without issuing a syscall.

11. BANHAMMER

ok, so you have been trolling.
    naah storage is not my gig, i like ethernet and network.