HULKY v/s BULKY

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by abhi0008, Aug 10, 2012.

Share This Page

1. abhi0008

abhi0008 RAID Rookie

Guys, Whats the better option.... Is it Mahindra XUV 500 or Renault Duster???

Feedbacks please!!!!

Rockfella likes this.
  2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

lol @title, i was wondering what will happen.

3. abhi0008

abhi0008 RAID Rookie

I own a XUV but a friend of mine recently bought the Duster..... He is happy with it.

Both of us also went for HALO TESTING (Off Roading) of our respective vehicles, Duster definitely beats XUV in initial acceleration but when Cheetah Roars than Duster lags behind by miles plus off roading capabilities of Duster are not impressive....

4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I so wished I could help, but I am a automotive noob.

abhi0008 likes this.
  5. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

How about this. We meet up tomorrow morning, and take both of them off-road around surajkund and decide for ourselves which is better.

On a comparo, the Duster is not in the same segment as the XUV,

- Both being front wheel drive vehicles, its essentially like taking a Santro off-roading, The ground clearance helps, however you will eventually get bogged down by FWD only. A RWD or a 4X4 will definitely surpass the capability. So to summarize - Both are what you call, soft-off-roaders.

- Space/Features - Though there is a 3 Lakh rupees difference between the two, the XUV is packed to the gills with features and comfort. The Duster not so.But then both are from different segments, the XUV competing with the endeavour/Fortuner, and the Duster with Safari/Scorpio/Ford Ecosport etc.

Though the Safari/Scorpio/XUV are 7-8 seaters, the Duster is purely a 5 seater, and that too with a squeeze. Its what you can call an elaborate version of an I10 or a Swift on the inside with regards to space. Though has a bigger boot to offer.

Why the Duster works? Coz of its road presence, 16 inch wheels, SUV feel and driving position, and as reviewed, has the best ride quality currently of all SUVs ( XUV included ). And its faster than the XUV in the city.

Why it wont be a threat to the XUV - Features, space, seating capacity, respect. ( XUV will always command more ).And besides, its already a threat to anything between 7-12 Lakhs ( City, Verna, Vento, SX4 etc etc )

Still keen about the off-roading test though. :p

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    abhi0008: 13 Points (Perfect!!!!) Aug 10, 2012
    Rockfella and abhi0008 like this.
  6. abhi0008

abhi0008 RAID Rookie

JD666 - Duster Top end is 11, 29,000 ex-showroom and xuv w8 top with 11, 60,000 ex- showroom.

With a very less margin in price, anybody would like to go for a 7 seater and more comfort with better interiors and bulky looks.....
    coming to fuel effeciency (As we are obsessed with it), Duster claims anything between 17-18 kmpl whereas XUV gives 15-16 kmpl (tried & tested)
    Duster has a displacement of 1.5 litre cRdi with 110 bhp of power whereas XUV offers 2179 c.c. with 140 bhp of power.....

I think with all these major differences..... Duster is over priced!!!!

7. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Agreed however one is a Dacia/Renault and the other is a Mahindra. Plus one is smaller and nimble ( duster ), and the other is massive and bulky ( XUV ). One is good for a small family, and the other would server a much more versatile purpose.

Its the purpose/requirement that would be the difference for anyone.

abhi0008 likes this.
  8. abhi0008

abhi0008 RAID Rookie

This is what everybody will be looking forward to..... As far as initial bookings are concerned Duster is far ahead of XUV.
    Reason -
    1. The marketing strategy of Mahindra to open fix nos of booking (letting people crave for it) has hit them back and the draw system was far more annoying.
    2. Duster, inspite of not being capable of delivering the nos it has booked already, have gone for it to the extent that XUV did not!!!!

JD666 likes this.
  9. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Off-roading = 4WD ;)

10. abhi0008

abhi0008 RAID Rookie

it still is okay with 2WD, but for a hardcore off-roader, u have to drop the plan for this n switch over to pajero SFX...:bow:

JD666 likes this.