Hyundai to shut Production of the Santro

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Jan 20, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yep, to make free space on the production line for other models. The Santro, launched with much fan fare and probably the first proper celebrity endorsement by Shah Rukh Khan, propelled Hyundai into the Number two manufacturer of India in no time.

Who can forget the booth babes at the 1998 Auto expo, but that's for another day. The Hyundai Santro a.k.a. the Atoz sold really well for Hyundai, and with its quirky styling and Tall-Boy design, won many hearts.

Sales peaked around 2006 when they sold nearly 2L Santros in a year. Sales were gradually dwindling to a low of about 30,000 vehicles last year in 2014.

I've been lucky enough to drive all 3 iterations of the Santro, the original 999cc, 55 bhp, then the ZipDrive with the slighly in-efficient but zippy 1.1 and finally the Xing/ERLX model with the new styling -

Santro 01.jpg

With over 2 Lakh kms driven on all three variants, the only issues that ever plagued the Santro were -

- On the first generation model in 1998, a spark plug cable came loose during a trip to Agra. It was fixed in no time.

- The front wheel hub was prone to breaking the wheel mounting lugs, we had about 3 failures in the 13 years we had the Santro.

- The headlights were prone to fogging/dulling over the years.

Other than that, no complaints, no issues. The Xing model went for cross Rajasthan trips with my Jawa's engine in the boot. It was driven by my mom, sis and aunt all the way to Katra/Jammu from Gurgaon by themselves without any issues.

Multiple runs to Amritsar and Chandigarh from Gurgaon. And two iconic road trips with the whole family to Badrinath and Kedarnath. All without a sweat.

I remember several instances during the aformentioned trips where in the Santro was like a mountain goat and unstoppable in the mud and slush, and we had to get down twice to push the i10 (the other vehicle on the trip) out of the mud.

It (the Santro) saved mine and my family's life during a landslide, by crossing a stretch of road, which would've stopped most cars/hatchbacks. We were stuck at a tight pass with a Mahindra Pik-Up on the way up, and small rocks started falling on the Hood and the windscreen of the vehicle. Realizing it was building up, I decided to stop waiting for the Mahindra Pik-up to cross and gunned the car for what it was worth, over boulders and mud to clear that area.

The moment I cleared those falling rocks, a pile of about 500-1000 kgs of rocks fell on the spot that we were parked and blocked the narrow pass completely. Close call. very close call.

Sold the Xing in 2012 for the Hyundai Eon, and my mom still chides me for it. She found the Santro peppier than the Eon (which it was) :D

What I liked most about the Santro was the fact that we as a nation opened up to a new manufacturer and did not stay nostalgic with Maruti and the likes. Good bye old friend, you will be fondly remembered.

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

It was better than maruti 800.

3. JD666

seriously? the M800 ? The Santro was in a different league altogether!

4. BANHAMMER

Yeah, It was better. was it not? I always thought santro was better than maruti 800.

5. JD666

Way way better.

6. BANHAMMER

7. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

Never liked this car specially the design. one of the reason why we bought zen over santro in 1998