News IKEA is coming!

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by SumitB, Jun 22, 2012.

Share This Page

1. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I have worked with Indian carpenters(especially Sutars of Rajasthan) for about 6 months or so. They can make excellent quality furniture something which can give competition to finishing of IKEA. However the issue with these people is limited knowledge of design.
    Being mass popular doesn't indicate quality or excellence, it just indicates better marketing( McDonalads anyone?) A lot of people follow religious crap, doesn't indicate they are right?
    I am not opposed to IKEA personally but when I really ask people around me about it, they are not really very happy with it. I started hunting for table I found couple of good brands like studio rta etc, so there are options which are cheaper and better, but people don't look very hard.
    Secondly, rpm most ikea product which you gonna buy will be mostly made in china.

2. Luciffer

Luciffer Satan Spawn Staff Member

I used to do that too :(
    Hopefully we can do that again soon.. :)

Local stores here like HomeTown don't even let you take pics of their stuff...
    Guessing they're scared you'll just have your carpenter replicate it.

But Ikea stuff is cheaper/better finished than anything your local carpenter can make..
    So they shouldn't have a problem distributing their catalogs here

3. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

yes, the stuff might be chinese. but i will have someone somewhere responsible. so if it breaks unreasonably, i can catch someone somewhere. plus, all those petty dealers will have to go back to selling real furniture.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  4. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

I have worked them to BITS and for a long time, they can't even come close to the quality that machining can bring in !
    Then comes the price point, that is just absurd and these badhais never work for more than 4 hours a day.. that is so fcking bad that once I remember I had to make them understand that we are not tose who will tolerate their nonsese..
    and more ever, most of the people here have forgotten good quality work and thus nbeed a refreshing change !

5. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Understand the difference between the machine crafted Ikea products and the hand crafted furniture in India. Ikea products are of great quality and are meant for daily and general usage. Where as some of the best handcrafted furniture in India and other parts of Asia (like Indonesia) belong to a different niche and have a finish that machines can not achieve, that is something different and unique on its own. The local carpenters when creating modern furniture can not possibly have the same finish as a machine.

6. BANHAMMER

point taken,
    ladka hira hai,

7. Luciffer

Luciffer Satan Spawn Staff Member

As are Citizen Watches..
    Sony Electronics..
    Seiko products..
    and Apple iPhones.. :)
    Heck, McDonalds would have shipped burger manufacturing to China if they could have. :)

ManISinJpr likes this.
  8. BANHAMMER

i am not averse to the idea of chinese products anyway. I think they make good products for whatever price is being offered.

Luciffer likes this.
  9. MOZ

Eggjactly. Quality/price = constant

Luciffer and initpidzero like this.
  10. ManISinJpr

DOn't be blinded, there are Swiss watchmakers who make everything by hand and look at theior quality and craftsmanship !! you will understand that !!
    also look at Holland & Holland and Purdey guns they are made by hand throughtout the process and so is Rolls royce..
    that is quality and what we make in India is SHIT !

11. MOZ

Not every part is hand made.

12. ManISinJpr

Yes it is !! but don't take this into too deep a discussion !! even a Rolex is carved inside out and so is patek Philip !! from asingle block of metal !!

13. BANHAMMER

i demand that moz should be given "Ladka hira hai" medal/trophy

14. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

i would like to express my disagreement with the statement that indian craftsmen are incompetent.

the competent indian craftsman is employed in two places:
    a. highly controlled completely export oriented units running out of nondescript locations. no sign boards, no business boards. often enough, not even an address tag outside the compound.
    b. middle eastern countries: hollow boom in real estate and the lure of good money.

we had access to a very good carpenter during my engg days. he is now in gulf. else i would not be showing any excitement towards ikea.

ikea is not quality. ikea is repeatable standard quality.

initpidzero likes this.
  15. BANHAMMER

MORE QFT.

16. anishka

anishka RAID Rookie

oh hell! just been toooo busy... ikea is going to be awesome in india :D

17. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

And finally the government has cleared 10,000 Crores invest for Ikea to open stores with cafeterias in India.

Goodbye hometown and the like! Hope they price it right and teach these people a thing or two about selling home gear in India!

Yay!

18. MOZ

Yay. First thing to get new modular computer desk.

19. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Over the years after using modular, what I have realized is that make sure its made of MDF or proper wooden board, not the compressed powdered wood and laminated. It might be a lil expensive, but worth the expense, and will withstand a lot of abuse.

The table in my place has seen 3 shiftings and 4 years of usage, thankfully no squeaks, creaks till now.

MOZ likes this.
  20. MOZ

:megusta: