Intel I7 3770K on MSI Z77-GD80 and MSI 7970 Lightning

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by theBanik, Jul 24, 2012.

Share This Page

1. theBanik

theBanik RAID Rookie

So here goes the first post in this section, :D.

MSI had an Overclocking competition going on, mentioned here because of which started testing MSI motherboards alongwith MSI graphic cards, had a hectic few weeks where nothing seemed to be cooperating but still got some decent results. Shivam was a great support all this while and traveled daily to my place and even when I had lost energy kept on pushing me. Thanks a lot mavihs and I hope you learnt quite a bit about benching on LN2 and the issues that come up, [​IMG]. I sure did, :D

Though next few weeks I would be benching again to better the 2D scores, [​IMG]. By the way just for the folks who might think I get stuff for free, only the motherboard are samples from MSI, everything else is bought with my own money, [​IMG]

CPU : Intel IB i7 3770K capable of running 6589 Mhz on Liquid Nitrogen. Will be pushing it further in the coming weeks. I guess do not have to praise the CPU much, everyone knows Ivybridge is in a league of its own, [​IMG]
    Motherboard : MSI Z77A-GD80 - Awesome board, all the issues I had were related to the graphic card not playing nice but the board was amazingly stable and did not create any issues. Highly recommended. Infact we were running at - 180C constantly for the superpi and pifast runs.
    GPU : MSI HD7970 Lightning - Star of the show, very strong graphic card, though the clocks we were trying to achieve was quite high, and the AMD drivers are really horrible I say. Was able to run it at 1600/1790 Mhz on LN2 at around -90C to -130C.
    PSU : CORSAIR AX1200 - Not an expert on PSU's, all I can do is put them on their knees to see how much further they can go. Have not budged yet this PSU, [​IMG]
    RAM : Transcend Axeram 2400Mhz : Was running these considerably cheap ram kit at 2600Mhz on its stock timing of 10-12-10, cannot ask more from them.
    SSD : 2 x Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD CoolerMaster Benchtable - An inseparable part of my bench sessions, [​IMG]
    CoolerMaster Quick Fire Mechanical Keyboard - Small and a very function Mechanical Keyboard, [​IMG]. Love it
    Razer Naga

Now lets get on with the results.

For the lazy geeks, who would not like to scroll down, here is a summary of the session :

1) 3D Mark 11 : 14593 Marks, ranked #39 in the World globally2) Wprime : 3.765s, ranked #54 Globally
    3) Superpi : 5.601s : CPU@6589Mhz
    4) Pifast : 11.22s : CPU@6481Mhz,

1) First up 3D Mark 11 : 14593 Marks, ranked #39 in the World globally
    [​IMG]

2) Next up Wprime : 3.765s, ranked #54 Globally
    [​IMG]

3) And now we are below 6 second, Superpi : 5.601s : CPU@6589Mhz
    [​IMG]

4) And last Pifast : 11.22s : CPU@6481Mhz,
    [​IMG]

And just for tradition sake a few frosty pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bear with me just for a shortwhile more while I thank all the companies who support/have supported me which makes me keep going further.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    MOZ: 100 Points (Great result) Jul 24, 2012
    harryneopotter: 72 Points (keep making me proud :D) Jul 24, 2012
    initpidzero: 64 Points (The most deserving article sire.) Jul 24, 2012
    WingZero, dbg, ManISinJpr and 4 others like this.
  2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Great results for what you had at hand. I'm sure the top scores had a lot more provided to them for testing and overclocking.

mavihs, post here so I can rep you.

3. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Lovely work Banik !!

4. mavihs

mavihs RAID Rookie

nice!!!

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    MOZ: 50 Points (Good Boy!) Jul 24, 2012