Discussion Is an App only approach the right way for FlipKart?

Discussion in 'RAIDers League' started by JD666, Jul 11, 2015.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

After recent news that FlipKart is planning to go app only from September 2015 onwards. I remember Myntra switched to an app only mode some time back. Visiting the web page now, is annoying, since every click, guides you to the app link.

flipkart.jpg

It is good that they are supporting all 3 mobile operating systems (Android - iOS and Windows), however I feel an app only method is not really the best approach to online sales.

For starters, not everyone is app friendly and knows how to go about it. My mom recently asked me how can she install Viber on her Redmi 1S. Now someone has to either a) guide her how to install it, or b) install it for her. However a website address, she can open easily by herself.

I'm sure there would be many like her, who prefer accessing sites on a Laptop/PC rather than on a cellular phone.

Browsing eBay/Amazon on their mobile app is no where near the experience of viewing the webpage on a desktop. Moreover comparing prices/reviews/options becomes that much harder on a mobile device, than on a desktop. Maybe it is being done to suit/favor them :D

I've not purchased an item in a long time from FlipKart, but if I'm ever shopping online, I make sure to compare prices at multiple websites instantly. That won't happen with FlipKart anymore.

What do you say?

2. JD666

I'm not sure what the savings would be for server hosting/web page creation, but I assume that's all application based. With an App, server load might go down, but then so will the hits/popularity/web presence. Dunno how they plan to market online, and yet direct people to their apps.

Probably will advertise on mobile browsers or mobile applications only.

3. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

Not a smart move on part of Flipkart....

No matter how popular they are now, their sales will take a nosedive with this kind of strategy !!!

JD666 likes this.
  4. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

app only? why would they do that?
    their normal website is fully functional, why abandon it?

5. JD666

Precisely. I fail to see the idea behind the move

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

6. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Must be some dumb?#@*&%!^$~ MBA's idea.

JD666 likes this.