Discussion Is cloud computing safe?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by JD666, Sep 1, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

In view of the recent hacks, first I would like to share a video -

Now that you have laughed your a$$ off, getting back on topic.

@SumitB recommends having a personal cloud. I for one don't believe in letting anyone else store my sensitive data. I could at most probably save my contacts there so that it's easy to transfer between devices. But that's about it.

I would secure my valuable in a vault that I believe is secure and accessible only to me. Like a bank. But if the Bank has loopy security that can allow anyone to access my locker, it's surely not a bank I'll be banking with or recommending to anyone else.

What's your take?

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

No, don't put your nudes on cloud.
    infact dont take your nudes, it is stupid.

3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Well not anyone, only the specific bank employees might have access to the entire vault but no real reason to go through your personal storage. And that's with any bank, without exceptions. Now the same is the case for Cloud Storage providers. Your data is practically untouched except in the case of a security breach or a legal warrant. Service providers still have ''access'' to your data but under the T&C they are not supposed to read it. Same with Facebook, where you upload your private albums and share it with friends. Mark Zukerberg could very well view every facebook photo ever uploaded but does that really constitute a violation of user privacy.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 1, 2014 ---
    I personally rely a lot on Google Cloud storage, my company relies primarily on Box.com as our primary document/file repository. Its quick easy and convenient - with a lot of added features.

Creating a personal cloud is not worth the investment in most cases, as with OSes you can write your own Linux OS from scratch and be all sorts of safe, but wouldn't you rather prefer Windows and all the features + support it offers. The trade-off is compensated quite nicely and thus the world is quickly realizing the benefits Cloud has to offer.

4. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Lol @initu.

@dbg I'm pretty sure further steps can be taken like online banking (password thru SMS, or random key gen code). Then it would be much more secure.

5. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I do put stuff on the cloud, not sensitive, and if I have to, I encrypt it.

6. dbg

Yes, two step authentication is available is many instances for your security. I use two step auth with Twitter on a regular basis. Google is tad cumbersome so I don't bother. I just keep a track of my logged in sessions incase I forget to sign out somewhere etc.

Google also has features which detect an anomaly in your access pattern and asks for additional security during login.

One can also get a Single Sign On service to eliminate passwords all together. (weak repetitive passwords which a malicious user can guess).

JD666 likes this.
  7. BANHAMMER

I heard a lot of leaks are resultant of heartbleed.

8. dbg

doesnt make sense ..

For the ongoing story --- current theory is an underground trading ring of celeb nudes , which has now surfaced to the top.

9. BANHAMMER

I mean the techniques used for exploits.