Kawasaki Ninja 300 Preview - [RAID101 Xclusive]

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, May 19, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Kawasaki NINJA 300
    Preview
    - JD666 -

[​IMG]

Launched yesterday. I was invited for the launch but could not go.
    However today we are headed to preview the bike.
    Pics and Preview in the next post!

2. JD666

Ninja_300_03.jpg

From the front, the bike looks meaner, more aggressive. the Twin headlamp design, does add more visual bulk to the bike. Infact the older 250 looks comic like in front of the razer sharp angles/lines of the new one.

The inverted V at the front looks like a twin fang design, something that the Pulsar 200NS has, however rest assured, the Pulsar is inspired by the Ninja 300 rather than the other way around.

The Rear view mirrors are on better shaped mounts, and the wind visor is slightly smaller in height than the outgoing model. The Front mudguar follows nearly the same design of the older one.

Ninja 300 28.JPG

A great change is the flush mounted indicators. Earlier the Indicators were the most prone to breakage/damage in the event of a rub against something. However this gives it more international styling and appeal, and reduces the width of the bike. Moreover the old indicators looked downright cheap.

Stuge likes this.
  3. JD666

Ninja 300 09.jpg
    Ninja 300 01.jpg

Moving on, we find the slightly greyed out metal finish on the levers/footrest, the heat guard on the end can etc.

The Exhaust is now a shorter unit, with a Trapezoidal Cross Section, Much better looking than the Circular/Cylindrical End can of the previous model.

The Foot rests on the previous model were Rubber mounted, while these are straight aluminum units.

This does indicate that Kawasaki have reduced the vibrations emanating from the previous engine in this model.

Fit and Finish, Panel gaps, paint quality were excellent.

Ninja 300 02.jpg
    ninja 300 04.jpg

The Levers and switch gear essentially remains unchanged, however the biggest difference for any rider would be the new Digital-Analog combined Display.

A big Tacho, Which I love! take dominance over everything else on the Bike.

But now the bike get's a fuel gauge as standard, with 2 trip meters and the regular tell tale lights.

Engine - We started the bike, and over the old machine, the new one has a deeper thrum. The exhaust note is slightly crisper, but the rev response is nearly as good as the old one. Could not test ride it, however will do soon ;)

Aargee likes this.
  4. JD666

Ninja 300 08.jpg
    Ninja 300 10.jpg
    Ninja 300 25.jpg

The cross section of the Rear exhaust is visible in these pics. The rear is more angular, sporty and aggressive. In keeping with the mass forward styling with the bike.

The Rider and Pillion seats don't look like they have been thru major changes, however the firmness is the same as the old model, which is a good thing!

No LED tail lights or indicators here. A bulb does duty in all corners and in the rear as well.

Ninja 300 07.jpg
    ninja 300 06.jpg
    ninja 300 05.jpg

Kawasaki have given a Faux Carbon Fiber look to the plastic cladding around the Fairing. This does look good and the feel and finish is great.

Finally the Fairing is of a multi design element type that looks so much better as compared to the previous one. Hopefully it is as functional as it is appealing.

Tucking yourself in is really easy on the new Ninja 300. The Knee recess is great, and the curve of the tank right in front of the seat, allows the rider to rest his/her tummy/chest on it. Fat people might find it hard to crouch. However it is still more comfortable than the older model. All these subtle changes do point out that Kawasaki have tweaked this bike in all the right places. Idutt demonstrates how well one can tuck oneself on this bike.

Ninja 300 19.jpg

The Front windscreen does seem to be smaller, especially when you are trying to tuck yourself in, for maximum speed!

Aargee and Stuge like this.
  5. JD666

Ninja 300 16.jpg
    Ninja 300 17.jpg
    A major change/improvement is the re positioning of the seat unlock key hole to the underside of the bike. This will ensure that there is no water ingress and the key hole does not clog with dust and dirt if left standing in the open for too long.

If you look closely, the underside right above the key lock, has a recess. This is on either side for A) for the pillion to hold onto and :cool: For moving and positioning the bike when stationary. This eliminates the need for a rear grab handle.

Ninja 300 11.jpg
    Ninja 300 12.jpg
    ninja 300 13.jpg
    ninja 300 14.jpg

A major design change is the rear mud guard. This now has a hugger, which saves and protects the rear shock absorber from muck, mud and stones.

The alloys though appear very delicate are extremely beautiful!

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    WingZero: 50 Points (Nice presentation) May 19, 2013
    Aargee likes this.
  6. JD666

Ninja 300 21.jpg
    Ninja 300 22.jpg
    Ninja 300 23.jpg

And now for the stuff that I din't like.

1 - Still regular forks. With the KTM DUKE offering Inverted forks, it's a shame Kawasaki din't, especially when they are asking 3.90 Lakhs (On-road) for this.

2 - IRC Rubber - Not the best in the world, not as grippy as Dunlop or Bridgestone. Heck in my personal opinion, the MRF on the Duke have better grip than the IRCs on my Ninja.

3 - As shown in the pics above, no guard/protection for the Radiator, or the Engine exhaust. Expect a lot of muck build up on the exhaust pipes and Radiator. A basic raidator guard and a plastic cladding to protect the exhaust/crank etc was needed

4 - No LED bling. Alright the meter has been updated to the latest spec, however Bulbs look very 1998, and not 2013. The world is switching to LED for lighting on vehicles. This was a great opportunity to do the same!

5 - ABS as an option - Not there. :(

6 - And finally, Pricing.

3.90 Lakhs is a tad much for the offering. Sure it's the latest, a great upgrade, must be superb to ride etc. However 3.90 Lakhs is too much, when you factor in the fact that you spend 1.60 Lakhs more and get the Ninja 650 (5.56L on-road Gurgaon)

The dealer does state that he has delivered 9 bikes already. However how it pans out, only time will tell.

For now, it's a great, much needed upgrade over the 250, but a tad too expensive and that might just be it's Achilles heel.

Oh BTW, here's a pic of the official hand out from the company -
    ninja 300 brochure.jpg

Aargee likes this.
  7. JD666

Oh I forgot to mention one thing that I liked.

The old Ninja was just too bland. Not enough design elements, and most importantly not enough stickering even though there was acres of space to be covered.

Kawasaki have thankfully given the new 300, 4 new stickers, 2 mentioning the capacity, next to the Rear seat on either side( If someone remembers, I did the very same thing with my 250)

And 2 on the lower cowling stating Kawasaki

Ninja 300 sticker.jpg

ninja 300 sticker 2.jpg

WingZero and Stuge like this.
  8. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

some nice pictures taken from N8 :)

JD666 likes this.
  9. BkrevWlevqe

BkrevWlevqe RAIDer

Strong preview! Feel like riding the thing lol

JD666 likes this.
  10. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Looks fast even standing in the showroom .. !

Awesome coverage JD .. What other colors will come ?

JD666 likes this.
  11. JD666

Thank you!

In addition to the green in the pics, this will come in white as well -

ninja 300 white.jpg

12. sumonpathak

sumonpathak RAID Rookie

aand what about the sound junkies? i just hate it when people ridem em just for making sounds :straightface:

13. dbg

You won't hear it for long .. The bike would 200 meters away in 4 secs..

14. sumonpathak

sumonpathak RAID Rookie

u have no idea bout kolkata then....

15. dbg

Ohhh.. :)

16. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

Nice Preview JD..

JD666 likes this.
  17. JD666

sumonpathak - The Ninja sounds best above 7000 rpm, and above 10,000 the howl is addictive. This revs readily all the way to a 13,000 rpm limit. Sound junkies are gonna have a blast.

I remember on my Ninja 250, the stock growl was enough to create a path in the middle of the road for you to ride thru.

18. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Meh, another toy bike.
    I want a real bike.

19. JD666

Budget?

20. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

you know that I am just trolling?
    I seriously have nothing to contribute to the discussion.