Living with the 1020

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Apr 16, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Well to summarize here are some points that I would like to share -

Size - Surely bigger than regular phones. But if you're used to handling a S4 or Note, this would be much much easier to handle.

Feel - Feels robust, the metal finish is really nice. The phone has a sense of sturdiness to it, something that I found missing in the S4 (had one around recently to compare).

Portability - The raised Camera lens at the back does make for a bit of indentation when carrying it in a pocket, but other than that no major issues. I do have a small string attached to the phone (Came with the Camera grip). It makes it easier to pull it it out from a pocket.

Likes -

Menu speed/UI response - Blazingly fast

Home Screen - Best I've experienced in a phone. You can customize it in an extremely detailed manner and position everything the way you would like to access them.

Camera - Mind blowing, especially with Cinemagraph, Photosynth and Nokia Pro lens that allows you to set ISO, Aperture, shutter what not!

Multi-tasking is improved and you can switch between applications like iOS.

Typing on the giant screen is a breeze, and for the first time I'm comfortable using a QWERTY keyboard.

Battery life - Lasts me 1.5 days easily with Data on (4G)

Games - I have Asphalt 8 and Microsoft Solitaire! Yay!

Dislikes -

No feedback when typing

Lack of apps - I miss a decent browser like Firefox or Opera. Opera especially, since the quickstart is very comfortable. Have found UC browser which provides most of the functionality that Opera did, however page formatting/fit is an issue they need to work on.

I miss an app for my bank, and proper apps for regular stuff like 9Gag etc.

Thankfully I do have most of the apps I use. Tapatalk being one such application.

Looking forward to the 8.1 update, which brings a Notification drop down menu and a couple of other improvements as well!

Until then!

idutt and ManISinJpr like this.
  2. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

It is indeed a superb phone with best camera.
    But I would have liked it more if you got the Lumia Icon.

I am on Windows phone 8.1 already :)

Its wonderful !!

3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

How soon will you be getting the WP 8.1 .. I've heard the update finally makes Windows Phones usable :p

4. JD666

Hehe.. It's been rolling out in the US and EU regions.. So unless I VPN to an IP from there, I'll have to wait till it is made available in my region.

5. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

I thought it was some Nokia phone.

6. JD666

That it is.. Nokia Lumia 1020

7. JD666

Found a loophole how to update -

Registered at dev.windowsphone.com

Enabled Preview for developers and downloaded the app

once installed, did a search for phone update and voila

And to get Cortana had to set region to US and language to English (US)

8. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

what about the lumia 820 ? is there a windows 8.1 update @JD666 ?

9. JD666

Indeed there is.. Slightly complicated (like mentioned above) but you can get it as well.

I've updated the 1020 to 8.1. Had to go thru 2, yes two software updates and then the final update was for 8.1 (3 in all).

Initial impressions -

- No change in UI speed/response
    - Some additional apps/features that I need to explore fully
    - The notification centre is a welcome addition, however like Symbian^3 is limited to 4 options in the menu only. Thankfully there is a shortcut for Settings. You can customize the buttons though (select from a list).
    - Wi-Fi settings are more nosy (auto connect, share information, share wi-fi details, keep searching for wi-fi and what not).
    - A mobile data toggle shortcut is still missing.

idutt likes this.
  10. JD666

After about 2 weeks of living with Windows 8.1 here are my initial impressions -

- Swype works. Much better than Android. Also it's intuitive so even if you don't reach the right characters, it figures what you were trying to type. Adding new words is easy, just type them normally, tap and add, and then you can use swype to type em.

- The drop down notification is useful since it gives a preview of every notification. If only there were more than 4 available shortcuts (you can customize which 4 you want though). This reminds me a lot of the Drop down notification that they developed for Symbian S3.

- Rotation lock works differently from Android as in if you switch it off, it will rotate the screen from portrait to landscape. And if you switch on the lock, it will do just that, lock everything in landscape mode. Good for when reading a book, or browsing a webpage.

- The tiles with transparent background are fancy, and the addition of 3 columns now does make it cluttered, but then would be more applicable for the bigger 5+ inch screens.

What I'm loving -

a) Camera - 41MP awesomeness, the colors are true and the detail amazing.

b) Cortana - which is so much better than Siri. I asked for a mall near my location, it promptly listed out the malls available (from Here Maps, so it was instant, no major data download wait).

I asked for directions to a mall (by name, "give me directions to x mall"). And voila, Here Maps were up, and route was being calculated! Superb.

There are a host of other features that Cortana brings to the device like scheduling, sleep hours etc etc, but I am still to explore that in detail.

c) Battery life - 1.5 days easily.

d) Gaming - Microsoft Solitaire pack and Asphalt 8 bring the best of both worlds in one phone.

What I did not like -

- Lack of 3rd party browsers. Most importantly Firefox and Opera. I love the Opera style of tab browsing. Got something in UC browser, which is bloody fast, so that kinda takes care of it. It's just the unfamiliarity that gets me.

- No dedicated apps from websites for Windows Phone, 9gag for instance does not have a proper app for it, just a mobile web browser type of App.

ManISinJpr, Rockfella and idutt like this.
  11. Luciffer

Luciffer Satan Spawn Staff Member

Dude.. idutt : We Must update to 8.1.. imagine getting a 41mp camera!! Like man.. WOW!

12. JD666

Erm.. the update to 8.1 does not do anything about the resolution of the camera.

ManISinJpr and Luciffer like this.
  13. Luciffer

shhhh.. don't tell him that LOL
    He wants that 42mp camera :)

BTW.. what's that even like? Believe even my DSLR has something around 18-20mp.
    Don't think I've EVER seen a real world 42mp pic (just seen the demo pics of the 1020)

14. JD666

Approximately 18 Mb in size. The phone software resizes the image to a useable 8MP resolution. However with Nokia Pro Cam, you can get the RAW file as well.

The imaging also relies on sampling and down converts every 7 pixel to one pixel, giving much sharper images as well.

The 41 MP sensor is also to prevent need for optical zoom. You can simply pinch to zoom in.

15. Luciffer

Don't see much use of a 42mp image.. altho sometimes that level of detail can be useful.
    But..Can see a Huge potential for a real working zoom in a cel phone.
    Also with downsizing.. those images should be far superior to the 920, which was a very decent camera :)

16. JD666

They are. Don't need a separate camera when on holiday or traveling now. The N8 and 808 from Nokia sufficed this before. Now this. And the Xenon flash helps. Also has a LED for focus adjust.

17. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

I would buy the Lumia 930 or the Lumia 1520 as an upgrade to my Lumia 920..
    As for this wonderful camera phone, I would wait for it to be upgraded to a quad core processor, coz I used it and the speed was a little laggy !!
    I don't want any lagginess in my camera.

Try Nokia Refocus, reframe and blink apps for the camera !!
    All the apps there are available for Nokia Lumia phones are the best in the market !!

Also check out Instasquare. !!
    the best app !! for editing.

18. JD666

Agreed on the lag part. It does lag slightly as compared to the 808 which has a bigger sensor in fact (same resolution 41 MP).

Have tried Refocus, takes time to get used to that's all. Have a whole bunch of apps downloaded for the camera only ;)

Didn't try InstaSquare, will give it a go.