Review Living with the HTC One Mini

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Dec 22, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

So it's been slightly over a month since I got the HTC One Mini.

Experience so far -

- The power saver option is a great one. Keeps nagging WhatsApp Messages from constantly troubling me. By Disabling data was locked, I get notifications only when I unlock the screen.

- Camera - Fast, Zoe is an impressive feature for sure. The capture speed is what impressed me most, since most Android phones barring high end ones, have laggy cameras. The IQ in darkness or low light is very very decent as well.

- Battery life - I was a bit Paranoid with the HTC One Mini, since I am used to the 2 Day + life of the Razr Maxx. However with Data on and moderate usage, the phone lasts me 1 day + easy. This is without curbing my usage and being connected on 3G/4G when available.

- Fit and feel - The phone feels great to hold and operate. Single hand operation is pretty much possible all the time unless you are into heavy texting. The phone does not feel bulky, heavy or weighing in on your pockets. Sometimes I have to keep checking to make sure it's in my pocket!

Anyone who has held the phone, does comment on it's premium feel and crisp screen.

- Excellent stock keyboard and mini-launcher. Did not feel the need for a custom keyboard to be installed. I get a T9 Pad in portrait and a full qwerty in Landscape mode.

- Ability to quickly connect my Laptop to the internet using HTC Manager. Dunno if this has more to do with the Android OS, or HTC simplifying it for people, but the ability sure comes handy from time to time.

Some Downer -

- The Aluminum body is premium, but almost always seems like to be at a risk of getting scratched. The phone stays in a cover all the time.

- Lack of accessories and options. Have been able to source about 3 covers from over a dozen shops that I visited. And most were genuine HTC accessory covers only (Read expensive ~ 1800 for a cover). Thats a downer for sure.

All in all being voted 9th out of the top Android phones in the market does say a lot for this little fella, and I must say it does live up to it.

Cheers

idutt, Rockfella and dbg like this.
  2. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

- Ability to quickly connect my Laptop to the internet using HTC Manager. Dunno if this has more to do with the Android OS, or HTC simplifying it for people, but the ability sure comes handy from time to time

WiFi Hotspot + Tethering is stock Android feature and works pretty well ..

The phone as the perfect size IMO .. there should be more Android with better faster HW in this mid-range size.

JD666 likes this.
  3. JD666

You said it.. people are eventually gonna get sick of their floor mat sized phones and switch to a reasonable sized phone around 3.9-4.5 inches.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk

4. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

+1

Yeah, I feel even 5" is bigger than what one can hold and operate in one hand and carry in your pocket comfortably.
    Increase in specs and new OS versions is understandable, but why increase the size of screen along with it.

JD666 likes this.
  5. JD666

Exactly. We have more than a 100 times the computing power we had 5 years back..

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

6. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

My only worry is HTC is a sinking ship.

7. JD666

That makes some good looking phones...

8. BANHAMMER

Yeah, but support would be a problem if company goes Ka-boom?

9. JD666

Well EOL support would still be provided.. though for a limited time (like ABIT). But with the average life of a new phone being 12-18 months, I doubt someone's gonna have gripes.

Gone are the good old days when you changed a phone because it would go bad...

10. BANHAMMER

Yeah, that is true. But it is always best not to be on the sinking ship. Be the rat and jump first, lol.

11. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Jump to what? Any ship can sink anytime just like the Titanic did.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 31, 2014 ---
    Thank god we share the same thought. Huge phones are another fad that should soon fade away.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 31, 2014 ---
    I agree, increase in size: because a major chunk of population thinks more is always better in every aspect of life.

JD666 likes this.
  12. Rockfella

Power save mode is very good, in the Lumia too disables almost all unwanted updates/notifications and really prolongs battery life/time. I keep power saver always on all the time despite it being not recommended lol.

13. JD666

Get connectivity tiles from the App store in Lumia. They will allow you to toggle data, wifi, location, bluetooth, airplane mode from the homescreen itself. Much needed with Lumia.

14. BANHAMMER

Jump to Nexus 5.

15. JD666

Non Android, Non Apple purchase for sure. Maybe BB Z10

16. BANHAMMER

Black berry? That is like looking for dinosaurs and finding something about them.

17. JD666

Privacy is a concern with Android and iOS. I don't like all the niggling, we want this info, share location, track sites, blah blah blah blah! I'm using my N8 for my second connection. No hassles of all this atleast!

18. BANHAMMER

Privacy is not guaranteed by BB as well. Nobody is stopping govt to snoop on either of the phone. But BB might not be collecting data for it's own personal use as of now.

19. Rockfella

I tried some but the default is best so sticking with it.