Buying Advice Looking for speakers < 200$.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware and Software' started by BANHAMMER, Jul 29, 2014.

Share This Page

1. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Well, I am trying to look for 150£ or <200$ speakers for my new rig. 2 channel speakers.
    I listen to heavy metal, so that is main driving force behind the kind of speakers
    so far @ViKiD suggest klipsch promedia 2.1
    he also suggested swan m50w, but finding them in UK is hard.
    Please shoot more suggestions, I think I am over the whole 2.1 logitek,creative, lantec alsing scene.

2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Hehe. you're not gonna like what I'll suggest, but you need to demo them once. :D

Are you looking at a 2.1 setup or a Stereo setup (2 speakers only).

2 Bookshelf speakers from any mainstream company plus a nice stereo Amp would do nicely to enhance your Heavy Metal listening experience. The bigger cones will give the drive necessary.

3. BANHAMMER

The decent audiophile setup for heavy metal is about 1500$ or so. I don't think I have that kind of mullah.

4. JD666

Moolah you mean.. Google the other term

5. ViKiD

ViKiD RAID Rookie

I think a decent custom bookshelf and amp setup will cost upwards of $300, but is worth every cent.
    Other than that i would definitely suggest the M50w and the Promedia 2.1.
    I do own the HK Soundsticks 3, but i feel that they are subpar compared the Promedia's, specially for the price they retail at.

6. BANHAMMER

swan m50w should be 200$ but in pounds they are more than 250, which is just plunder.
    Also money is what I meant, I should not use terms which I dont know.

7. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

get one of these, you just need an audio source and some software eqalizer to adjust the sound according to your preference, these will sound true to the source and will be good for near field listening.

These are studio monitors and are mostly sold as single speakers unless the description says pair so in that cause you may have to buy two.

JBL LSR308 8" Two-Way Powered Studio Monitor LSR308 B&H

Amazon.com: Tannoy Reveal 502: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: KRK RP5G3-NA Rokit 5 Generation 3 Powered Studio Monitor: Musical Instruments

6 Inch Studio Monitors | 6 Inch Reference Monitors | 6 Inch Powered Studio Monitors | 6 Inch Active Studio Monitors | 6 Inch Band Loudspeakers | 6 Inch Mixing Monitors | 6 Inch Powered Mixing Monitors

Amazon.com: JBL LSR305 (PAIR) Professional Studio Monitors: Musical Instruments

JD666 likes this.
  8. BANHAMMER

I have to see if these fit budget, even if they are typically 200$ a single speaker, plus availability in UK is another concern.

9. BANHAMMER

10. ViKiD

ViKiD RAID Rookie

You planning on adding the sub separately?

11. BANHAMMER

This one says, it has sub inside speaker, though if required I might. How much are sub for anyway?

12. RajaPraveen

Both are good choices and price is for a pair, Tannoy reveal 502 did get some good reviews and some called it one of the best entry level studio monitor, cant go wrong with either of those.
    A sub can be added to this in future if needed, but the most important thing is that these will blow any computer speakers out of the water in detail and neautrality or even in terms of distortion at decent SPL.

Reveal 502 - Versatile, Active & Bold studio monitors | Tannoy Studio

Get those isolation pads if possible.

ViKiD likes this.
  13. BANHAMMER

Also wondering if SPDIF can be used with such speakers given it is completely digital format

14. RajaPraveen

SPDIF cannot be used with most active studio monitors, there are a very few which have DAC inside and might allow digital input, if you are going to use a PC or a MAC as the source then all you need is the audio out from the source and connect it directly to the unbalanced input, if you have a PC with a high end audio interface card like lynx then you can connect these speakers through balanced input.

These are just speakers with good drivers and built in individual amps for both HF and LF with a volume control.

15. BANHAMMER

how much are subs for typically?

16. RajaPraveen

if you plan to buy tannoy sub it should start around 200 - 300$, there are cheaper options but again you should first use the monitors without the sub to really know if you need a sub depending on the size of your room.

There is a lot of pro audio forums where you read about partnering a sub with studio monitor, so many options are available.

17. ViKiD

ViKiD RAID Rookie

I would definitely vouch for a custom monitor setup! They are definitely better than the multimedia setups anyday, but they do cost a decent bit more.
    I have tired the Rockit's G3's at a friends place, and sound astoundingly beautiful. But these are definitely for people who want very neutral music.

18. JD666

I would recommend just going for a stereo setup since itll give you most of the frequency range desired. And it will be a good baseline to build upon if necessary.

I had JBL control series bookshelf speakers, damn things didnt require a sub, but later i hooked a Control 10 sub and the bass went crazy

19. BANHAMMER

nopes not adding 200$ sub, I want some which is not too expensive. These speakers are 240£ I think I can spend may be 100£ for subs, though I might not even be used to something without bass. I once tested AKG studio headphones, they had no bass or as my friend told me that this is exactly the right bass, which I must say was not enjoyable.

20. RajaPraveen

These monitor speakers will reproduce enough bass depending upon the source and the sub is just for reaching the lowest of frequencies possible,adding the sub does not mean the quantity of bass will increase it will only rather make you hear and feel lover frequencies, if the sub makes your setup sound more bass heavy then there might be something wrong with the way things have been setup or there could be the issue of the quality of the sub itself. The quantity of bass or a having a taste for bass heavy speakers depends upon personal preferences. AKG headphones tend to be a little lean on bass and that can always be corrected with equalization and the kind of source and amp being partnered with.

I personally always give more importance to the quality of the bass where i can hear texture, i don't like bloated or booming bass, i also am not a fan of speakers which mask the rest of the frequency with overwhelming bass, because that sound i feel is less involving and overpowering bass can also effect the PRAT of audio playback.

I am pretty sure there must be electronic stores at your place which might have a demo of some of these studio monitors so you can easily hear how they sound just buy plugging in your phone or portable music device and then buy it online to take advantage of the online pricing.

The point of my initial suggestion is that when monitor speakers are available for similar prices as computer speakers i feel it is a big advantage and these monitor speakers should be given a serious thought before we go and buy some computer speaker.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    ViKiD: 163 Points (Loved it.) Jul 30, 2014
    ViKiD, BANHAMMER and JD666 like this.