Mahindra to launch a practical Electric Vehicle soon!

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by JD666, Jan 9, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

It's been several years in the making, but according to recent buzz on the website at Mahindareva.com and mahindrae2o.com

Speculation is that the vehicle will be launched with a price tag between 5-6 Lakhs and will be named the e2o ( ee-two-ooh)

Mahindra has had a fetish with their vehicle names ending in ooh. So yeah, its XUV 5-oh-oh!!

( Pics taken from the website )

194383_488149724571112_734586315_o.jpg e2o1.jpg e2o2.jpg e2o3.jpg e2o4.jpg

Some features of the car include -

1) Realistic Range of 80-100 kms (Some have gone on to claim 160 kms also, but the company claims 100 kms )

2) A 40 HP electric motor, which is more than sufficient power for regular usage ( Nano is 36, Maruti 800 was 37 bhp )

3) Ability to seat 4 people - 2 Doors, 4 seats

4) A practical top speed of 80 kmph.

5) 8 hours full charging from a regular 15 amp power port ( Home A/C type ), 4 hours for express charging

6) Li-ion batteries for lighter weight, and better storage capacity

In addition, the people from Mahindra will also come over to your residence and assist you in setting up a charging port for the car, if you are living in apartments, or are too far away from where your car is parked. Which is a nice gesture.

I like the idea. My commute to work is about 50 kms a day total. With a vehicle as such, I can spend probably something like 50p per km of running instead of the regular 3-4 Rs. This does make sense for short point to point taxi services even. A lot of companies can look at offering this to their employees who live within a certain area.

Not to mention that it's great PR for being eco-friendly!

Issues -

Pricing - This is going to be around the 5-6Lakh mark. If only the government would subsidize this heavily.

Life - Of the batteries, how long would one set last, and cost of replacement??

Handling of batteries - Once they are exhausted, won't that be additional pollution.

In my opinion, due to the low efficiency of generation of electricity, and most of it being produced by burning coal in our country, this is not exactly pollution free. You are simply shifting the source of pollution from the city to the rural area where the power plant is.

Also issues like lack of electricity, frequent power cuts do hamper operations. Some have also said that this car can be used as an inverter to power your house in the event of a power loss. Now thats retro active thinking on their part, but a clear indication of the issues faced.

Where this succeeds? for people who have fixed commutes, and have a routine that is set. They could save moderately on running costs. ( The website states some 51,000 rs for a annual run of 12,000 kms ). However how long would the batteries last??

For companies/organizations/townships that have a requirement for such vehicles.

And for those who would like to do their eco-friendly bit for the environment :p

Vinny likes this.
  2. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Why do electric vehicles in India have to look fugly?

3. JD666

This is actually quite decent looking!! And this is probably the second electric vehicle in India
    Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

4. Vinny

Vinny RAID Rookie

nice.... the cost that u mentioned is very near to the the Reva :eek:.... are u sure its going to be near reva( costs)

5. JD666

The Reva was between 2.5 - 4L when launched. It suffered from initial design issues, and practically no support from the government. Improved versions were sold in the UK, and are still in use there. And version 1 can always be messed up.

This version has been in the making for several years ( 5-6 IIRC ), so I am expecting a better, much better product.

The pricing is what has been mentioned by auto journos all around.

6. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

The first pic looks like an SUV .. the rear design was surprising :p

Looks like it would have lesser boot capacity ..

7. Vinny

Vinny RAID Rookie

Right. but i saw in the recnt past that a reva cost you 4.5 lakhs plus, i guess this will be a good buy

8. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

In the last pic you can see there is very little space between the rear seats and the back-hatch ..

9. JD666

yep,more aesthetic than functional, however it is far bigger than a Reva, which allowed for a small shopping bag at most in the back.

10. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

Toyota, maruti or some more active car maker should make electric cars imo.

11. MohitGamer

MohitGamer ActiveRAIDer

Also they should keep the price below 2 Lac with free Battery replacements...:p

Rockfella likes this.
  12. JD666

Lol, dream on!

13. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Nissan was designing electric car.

Rockfella likes this.
  14. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Hah, I knew I had seen a similar design, it is at our college. Apparently Mahindra worked on an electric vehicle with our college some time back. I'll post morre picture soon.

[​IMG]

JD666 likes this.