Maruti 1000 - Battery Rewiring

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by kauffmann, Jul 11, 2012.

Share This Page

1. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

Hi,
    I'm back again with a question about my old faithful Maruti 1000! I went to get the A/C repaired today (more on that in another thread) and I noticed that the car visibly had lesser battery power when it was idling. The horn was bogged down and sometimes it wouldn't honk at all.

We had the battery replaced barely a month ago, I think it's an issue of weak wiring and improper current flow. Is my analysis correct or could there be some other culprit?

If it is indeed the wiring, then I want to get the battery power supply rewiring done. How much should it cost and what cables should I get for the same?

Tagging our resident motorist JD666

Cheers,
    Kauffmann

PS: Could we have a different background for the tags?

Tag.PNG

2. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

I think that current is leaking from your battery !!
    getting that checked will determine what the solution would be..
    just changing the basic wires will not be expensive but if the problem is indeed with the wires.. then the loom has to be replaced or repaired..
    you will have to have a trained electrician for that.
    MOZ, yes we need to change the bacground or the text color changed for the tags.

JD666 likes this.
  3. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Please tag rpm, in all development related issues.

4. rpm

rpm Lizard king Staff Member

i see orange over white, perfectly visible to me. am i missing something here?

we are talking of threads tags right?

EDIT: On topic: get the electricals checked for leaks. you might also want to check alternator belt tension, and the alternator itself.

5. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

He means when we add tags.

6. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Or edit tags manually.

7. Team101

Team101 RAID Staff Staff Member

Required change has been done.

dbg and ManISinJpr like this.
  8. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

I think the alternator could be supplying lesser current to charge the battery, which is causing it to lose charge.

Rather than rewiring that, I would recommend checking the voltage at the terminal of the battery when the car is idling, if its lower than 14.4V, then it means that the alternator is not providing enough juice to the battery.

Wiring resistance if causing battery charge leakage, will also cause the battery to heat up/ stay hotter than usual. Does the battery side feel unusually hot?

Taking into consideration the age of the vehicle, I would recommend checking the alternator first ( if no replacements have been done in the recent past ), and then the wiring.

9. kauffmann

kauffmann The Fountainhead

Thanks everyone, I'll get the Alternator and it's belt checked out first, then the rest of the wiring. Will post back in a day or two.

I'll also check if the battery is unusually hot.

Cheers.