Maruti Alto K10 VXi Ownership Log (2.6 years & 22500 KMs)

Discussion in 'T&AA - Travel and Anything Automotive' started by idutt, May 19, 2013.

Share This Page

1. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

MARUTI ALTO K10 VXI
    Ownership Log
    - Indroneil Dutt -
    [​IMG]

Hey Everyone,

I want to share my experiences with the Marutu Alto K10 VXI at 2.6 years & 22500 KMs of ownership.

She is called MC ( Merry Christmas ) by my dad because we took the delivery on 24th December 2010. She has always given wonderful service day in & day out without any hiccups.

Here's my view of the car :-

1. Looks & Design :- She looks like the original Alto except for the slightly longer nose to accommodate the near 1000 cc engine. Headlamps are bigger & slightly swept back from the front fenders as compared to the original Alto whose headlights were smaller. There is a chrome strip on the top part of the Grill which looks clean & uncluttered. The tail lights have a different design & when switched ON, the lights are bright specially during rainy & foggy seasons. The design overall is not really to my liking.

2. Interior Space :- Unfortunately Maruti has not worked on the spaciousness of the car. Its cramped for rear passengers & the boot is tiny. You can store one medium sized bag with a couple of small packets, but in my case I have filled my trunk with a bass tube. The front passenger seats with integrated headrests are comfortable but lack under thigh support. Back seats are best for small kids.They too have integrated headrests but are too tiny & useless.The steering is 3 spoke which is comfortable for the hands specially on long drives but one must have a steering cover to get a proper feel for the steering wheel. Rear view mirrors are internally adjustable for the driver & front passenger. The biggest feature missing on the car which should be standard on all cars irrespective of the model & price is the day & night rear view mirror. Wake up Maruti !! if the Tata Nano which costs 2 lakhs gives a day & night rear view mirror then why can't you. The Glovebox is of a decent size. The floor console has cupholders & a small recess to keep knick knacks. Front door pockets are only meant to keep a small cloth or papers or other small items not water bottles. The Vxi model comes with front power windows with auto down feature for the driver. Central locking & fog lamps are standard. Instrument cluster is big & bright & Vxi model comes with a tachometer & digital fuel gauge. There is no temperature gauge but if the car overheats there is a warning light which displays on the dashboard.

3. Performance & Handling :- The almost 1000 cc Engine packs 68 PS of Max Power with 90 NM of torque. Top speed I have achieved on Yamuna Expressway, N.H.2 & N.H.8 is 160 KMph on the Dash i.e. 156 KMph on GPS with AC running & just me driving. Other wise with 3 pax & running AC gives 140 KMph (Speedo) on Faridabad highway. AC is very good for the car even at temperatures soaring at 45 degrees C in Delhi. The car runs best with Tyres filled with Nitrogen It comes with 155/65 R13 73S Bridgestone Tubeless Tyres which are sufficient for the car. An upsize of the tyres would reduce performance & mileage. The VXi model gets wheel covers which is very difficult to take off specially when you have a puncture. So when I lost one which came off while driving on the highway, I took off the others & kept it in my outdoor junkyard storeroom. The Car has a tendency to have body roll specially when cornering hard. It could have done with better Aerodynamics for better top speed & acceleration despite being lighter than the A-Star.

4. Cost Of Ownership :- 4 services done till now with last service costing me almost Rs.9500 which includes a new tail light which I broke while parking in a mall basement. Accidental repair last spent including some mechanical work almost Rs.11000. Short distance driving fuel efficiency is 13.5 to 14.5 kmpl in the city with AC & without AC driving if driving carefully. Hard driving would give me 13-13.5 kmpl with AC in the city. Highway mileage I have got is almost 19 KMpl while going to Jaipur, Agra, Amritsar & Mathura.

Pics to be uploaded soon. I hope everyone finds the review useful.

Cheers,
    Indroneil Dutt ( Oneil )

Attached Files:

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 75 Points (Great job!) May 19, 2013
    Sunit JC: 30 Points May 20, 2013
    dbg likes this.
  2. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

dbg - need your formatting expertise here.

Great first write up idutt. Keep em coming. You will surely make your mark in Automobile Journalism!

idutt likes this.
  3. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Aye aye..

Let me gobble down some sunday ice cream first .. !!

idutt and JD666 like this.
  4. dbg

Done .. coudn't get my flavour .. .so had to settle for a Chocolate Pastry.. :/

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    JD666: 25 Points May 19, 2013
  5. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

oh you are such a girl.

idutt likes this.
  6. dbg

Wishful thinking again !?

7. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

Thank you everyone more pics coming soon.

Few of the of problems faced.

1. Car cannot take bad roads the alignment & balancing goes for a toss.Competent automobiles cannot do proper alignment or balancing.

2. Also if driving constantly driving on bad roads the jumping rod makes a squeaking sound specially over speed breakers & caliper pins require replacement. Greasing the pins do not work. Already changed caliper pins twice.

3. Suffered a spark plug failure which in detail means at the 4th service ie at 18500 kms full service was done which involved spark plug change. However when I had my accident that was at 22400 kms I think I told the service advisor of starting problems & long cranks he checked & found that one of the spark plugs electrodes had shorted out so the car was not firing properly so he replaced all three plugs and now the problem is solved.

4. One tank of fuel can last 500-520 kms with out or without AC running in peak traffic. Today I got a mileage of 14.60 KMpl trip meter reading of 522.9 KMs & fuel the car drank was 35.80 liters Max mileage I got in the city from the car ie due to long distance driving was 16.3 kmpl if I remember correctly. If any more info I can think of will pass it on.

So ALTO K10 Owners I hope you find my findings useful. keep watching time for some food & water for me.

JD666 likes this.
  8. JD666

Formatting please!

9. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

more pics of my car alto back side.jpg alto engine bay.jpg alto instrument.jpg alto map my india navigation system.jpg alto mega audio bass tube wiring.jpg alto mega audio bass tube.jpg alto pioneer 440 watt oval speaker.jpg alto previous loud horn set.jpg alto seat covers.jpg alto steering.jpg alto back side.jpg alto engine bay.jpg alto instrument.jpg alto map my india navigation system.jpg alto mega audio bass tube wiring.jpg alto mega audio bass tube.jpg alto pioneer 440 watt oval speaker.jpg alto previous loud horn set.jpg alto seat covers.jpg alto steering.jpg

JD666 and dbg like this.
  10. JD666

post a pic of the current condition of your tires as well. Good indication as to how well do they wear out.

11. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

ok i'll do it soon

JD666 likes this.