MH17 crash |Second Malaysian Airlines to crash this year .

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by Stuge, Jul 18, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Stuge

Stuge RAID Rookie

U.S. official: Missile hit Malaysia Airlines plane - CNN.com

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Oh well, this could escalate quickly

3. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Sad sad news. Malaysian airlines is struggling but is a good airline. I've flown with them 4 times and the service was amongst the best I could've had.

4. BANHAMMER

I am more worried about political consequences of this hitting down a plane from the sky.

5. JD666

Yep, apparently now it remains to be discovered whether this was intentional or accidental. Any which ways, the international political ramifications could be damning.

World War 2 escalated over much lesser.

6. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Accidental target + intentional hit.

JD666 likes this.
  7. ViKiD

ViKiD RAID Rookie

2 planes, same airline, less than a year. Coincidence?

8. JD666

I think sheer bad luck. The conspiracy theorists are going over board though. Black boxes have been recovered, in a few months the transcripts will reveal why that particular path was chosen.

9. ViKiD

ViKiD RAID Rookie

Ah, from MH-17 i assume. It would be much easier to locate and analyze the data this time around. As for MH370 still no clue as to what really happened to that flight.
    I still find it hard to believe whatever happened to MH370 was just random accident and power loss or whatever.

Also after all of this, i really how airlines start implementing high powered GPS transmitters with the blackboxes or as separate attachments maybe.

10. JD666

They already do. Aircrafts have transponders that transmit aircraft id and altitude. The rest can be figured by the radar on the ground.

Moreover they also have an ACARS link, which constantly relays information to ground.

The issue with MH 370 is also that if any country let's out too much information then they are revealing their radar capabilities and how far they are able to track an aircraft.

11. ViKiD

ViKiD RAID Rookie

That is definitely understandable, but for the owners of the aircraft to be at least able to find the blackbox is the main goal. I mean, if everything is destroyed, only the black box is able to withstand the worst of conditions and not having a way of locating it under those dire conditions is rather surprising and disappointing at the same time.

12. BANHAMMER

And another one disappears.

13. JD666

Black Boxes are designed to withstand a much higher level of G forces, fire/tempeature for prolonged periods, pressure (water). Also they have locator beacons that can ping not only on local frequency, but international frequency that can be picked up by any commercial ship, aircraft, satellite even.

The batteries of these devices come under critical maintenance, and are replaced periodically to ensure that they function as intended. With MH370, they received the pings, but it was too little too late. Also factor in that these devices are designed to last 2 weeks minimum, they lasted upto a month!

It is true that certain aspects of the aviation industry are still reactive (doing something when something goes wrong), but then so is any other industry be it shipping or automotive.

The failure to pin point the locator beacon signal, is also a major contributing factor to all the theories.

I believe now the various aviation authorities would have a minimum set of guidelines for aircraft tracking by an airline and an enforcement date.

14. JD666