Information / News Micromax overtakes Samsung to be No. 1 in India

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by JD666, Aug 5, 2014.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

According to a research by Counterpoint Technologies (link will be shared below), in Q2 2014, Micromax sold more handsets than Samsung capturing a 17% market share vs 13% in Q1 2014.

However, in the smartphone category, it's still behind Samsung, but closing in fast.

Interestingly it's now the 10th largest mobile phone manufacturer in the world.

Counterpoint-Research-Q2-2014-India-Handset-Market-Shares1.png

I am honestly surprised, since I always expected it to be a close second or a runner up like what AMD was to Intel in the budget CPU arena. However leading the market actually says a lot about the manufacturer.

Incidentally they are also the only mobile manufacturer with a crazy number of models and variants.

Some more highlights from the report here -

Market Monitor Q2 2014 : Micromax Becomes The Leading Mobile Phone Brand In India - Counterpoint Technology Market Research

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

Go micromax go!

3. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I think one of the mind sets people have now is that they are bound to change their phone in a year, or year and half, with one year warranty, even if the phone build is not upto the level of Samsung/Nokia, it really doesn't make a difference. And if you can get that performance for much less, then why not.

JD666 likes this.
  4. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

Yep, Micromax fits that bill pretty well. Snappy hardware for a year or so, and then something is bound to go wrong.

The Canvas that I got with such fanfare for a family member, prompted my Sister to buy a Micromax as well. It's all good with her phone, but the canvas has started acting weird.

Probably just needs a full reset + clean. Will know for sure once I get my hands on it.