Microsoft announces it's own Surface tablets, in RT and x86 versions !

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Consumer Electronics' started by ManISinJpr, Jun 19, 2012.

Share This Page

1. ManISinJpr

ManISinJpr Want to resurrect.. !!!

Just as we all ( well I expected it ) expected it, Windows declared to the world that it is making its own tablet, both in ARM and x86 versions.
    from the looks and see of those, the tablets are indeed very nice, I hope they have excellent performance and battery life... and they will be mine ;)

here are more details. for all you to savor !!

Microsoft announces Surface for Windows 8 Pro: Intel inside, optional pen input

[​IMG]

Microsoft didn't just announce one Surface tablet today -- it's announced one for each of the main varieties of Windows. That includes the Surface for Windows 8 Pro, which is slightly larger and decidedly more Intel-based than its ARM-fueled counterpart for Windows RT. In addition to the more full-fledged OS, it packs a larger 42 W-h battery, an Ivy Bridge Core i5 processor (at least in the model on display today), USB 3.0 ports instead of 2.0, and your choice of 64GB or 128GB of storage (double the standard offerings of the RT Surface). You'll also get a higher 1080p resolution from the 10.6-inch ClearType display, but it comes wrapped in a package that's 13.5 mm thick and weighs 903 grams (compared to just 9.3 mm and 676 grams for the RT). That's apparently not big enough to disqualify it from Microsoft's new keyboard-laden covers, though, and it even gets another accessory of its own: a pen with "Palm Block." As for pricing and availability, Microsoft is only going as far to say that it will be "on par with Ultrabook-class PCs" and available about three months after the Windows 8 launch (when the RT model will be available).

[​IMG]

Here at its mysterious, last-minute press event in Los Angeles, Microsoft just confirmed it will sell its own Microsoft-branded Windows 8 RT tablet under the Surface badge. Measuring just 9.3mm thick, the Surface for Windows RT is built around an angled, all-magnesium VaporMg case that weighs just under 1.3 pounds, with an NVIDIA-made ARM chip powering the whole affair. Microsoft's hardware partner has also gone all-out on extra touches, such as a built-in stand, twin 2x2 MIMO antennas for WiFi, and a 10.6-inch optically-bonded, Gorilla Glass 2-covered HD display. Not unlike Apple's last two generations, there's a magnetically attached cover, but it's more than just a protector: here, it includes a full multi-touch keyboard and trackpad. As for expansion, you'll get one each of HDMI, microSD and USB 2.0 (sorry folks, no 3.0) as well as either 32GB or 64GB of storage, while software includes the usual Windows 8 accoutrements and a newly Metrofied version of Netflix. The Surface for Windows RT should arrive roughly in step with Windows 8, but Microsoft is only promising pricing "competitive" with similar ARM tablets -- and you're looking for a tablet with more grunt, you can spring for the Intel-packing

[​IMG]

Surface for Windows RT tablet

• Processor: NVIDIA Tegra-based ARM chip
    • Weight: 676 grams
    • Thickness: 9.3 millimeters
    • Display: 10.6-inch ClearType HD capactive touchpanel
    • Battery: 31.5Wh
    • I/O: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
    • Software: Windows RT + Office Home & Student 2013 RT
    • Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand
    • Capacity: 32GB / 64GB
    • Availability: "Around" the Windows 8 launch (fall 2012)
    • Pricing: To be determined
    Surface for Windows 8 Pro tablet

• Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
    • Weight: 903 grams
    • Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
    • Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) capactive touchpanel
    • Battery: 42Wh
    • I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2x2 MIMO antennae
    • Software: Windows 8 Pro
    • Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
    • Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
    • Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall
    • Pricing: To be determined
    So, what's the story? Well, for one, Microsoft's playing coy when it comes to both CPU speed and available memory. Not unlike Apple and its iPad, actually. We're guessing that the company will try to push the user experience instead of focusing on pure specifications, and it's frankly about time the industry started moving in that direction. Pure hardware attributes only get you so far, and judging by the amount of integration time that went into this project, Microsoft would be doing itself a huge disservice to launch anything even close to not smooth-as-butter.
    It's worth pointing out that the ARM-based WinRT (psst -- you can catch up on what exactly Windows RT is here) model is both thinner and lighter than the version with Windows 8 Pro. Moreover, the battery is sized up in the latter, presumably to handle the higher power drain of the 1080p panel and the Core i5 processor. Strangely, microSDXC and USB 3.0 are only supported on the Win8 Pro model; we're guessing it's either a platform limitation, or just run-of-the-mill cost cutting. That said, bundling Office with the WinRT edition is apt to make Win8 Pro buyers salty; why not include it with the slate that'll be priced like a laptop (i.e. well north of what a lot of buyers will be willing to pay)? While we're comparing and contrasting, it's also vital to note that the WinRT variant won't ship with a 1080p panel; Microsoft didn't get specific on screen resolution, but a paltry 1366 x 768 is going to look mighty pixelated sitting next to a 1080p Win8 Pro sibling, a Retina-equipped iPad and ASUS' 1080p Zenbook / Transformer lines.

--- Post Merged: Jun 19, 2012 6:03 AM ---

JD666 likes this.
  2. RajaPraveen

RajaPraveen Black Jeebus Staff Member

Sound interesting, lets see how this competes with other tablets.

3. ManISinJpr

I am waiting and watching the space but full productivity in this form factor will do good for me..
    here are some more pics ( all droolworthy !! )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love teh 3mm Keyboard in various textures and colors and how it just magnetically attaches to the device !!!
    Amazing form factor !

4. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

Limited connectivity ..

5. ManISinJpr

How??

6. dbg

1 x USB 2.0 .. that too for a tablet launching later this year ..

Should have atleast 2 ports ..

7. ManISinJpr

There is USB 3 one too !!

8. dbg

Thats the Intel version of the tab with the USB 3.0 . .which is pretty much a keyboardless ultrabook.

The RT tab is lacking in connectivity against the competition.

9. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

The thick question here is going to be pricing.

With windows 8 OS unlikely to be below 100-120$ for a home edition, that could really elevate the price of this tablet.

However a price point of 350-400$ will make it a killer deal, coz it can be used for other than just recreation/leisure.

10. dbg

That the part where MS is deciding to sell their tablets by themselves .. They can pretty much give away Win 8 for free and save on the cost .. to match the competetion in the early phase.

But the big question here will be will for future HW partners like Nokia .. how much margin can they get.

And lastly .. its whole new era of anti-competitiveness .. MS will need to tread carefully.

11. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

Forget the added cost of the OS, the big question IS the price.

12. dbg

The cost of added OS will determine the final price .. $399 for the RT I'm predicting.

Also I see no mention of it having any 3G/Cellular connectivity .. if not then its a total BUST ..

13. ManISinJpr

I am surprised Moz, you could have found it out that the RT version will be priced competitevely to normal ARM tabs ( around 20 to 25K I think ) and the Windows 8 pro ones will be priced within range of Ultrabooks ! but you also didn't try to find out :(

Read what I have said above.. if MS wants then they can give it for free !!! and you guessed pretty right.. it should be around that price !
    It will have 2 antennas ! did you again not read the specs that I posted !!
    so here is a link for you which tells about Memo antennas !
    Please read that !!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIMO)

14. dbg

Okayy... I though MIMO was just for WiFi protocols ..
    --- Post Merged: Jun 19, 2012 1:23 PM ---
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/art...uld_pay_attention_microsoft_surface_analysts/

ManISinJpr likes this.
  15. ManISinJpr

Glad that you read and understood :)

16. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

I read the tentative pricing, what I am interested in is the practical market price after two months of product launch, once the price is stable.

ManISinJpr likes this.
  17. dbg

You're asking for too much bud ..

Question ..
    1. Availability after 2 months of launch ..?
    2. Peripheral support. ?
    3. Connectivity ?
    4. App Support ?

18. Aragorn

Aragorn RAID Rookie

I don't want to sound like a Fanboy or anything ... but this is seriously the first tablet that is worth considering ...

Reason - Windows 8 pro edition will be a tablet along with full fledged OS. Only reason why i didn't want to get into tablets was the limited iOS/Android variants that were there. Those OS are fine as far as smartphones go. But for a tablet, i want something much more capable. And what can be better than full blown windows????

And as far as tablet/touchscreen functionality go, I have been using the Lumia 9000 for 2 months now, and it is in fact the best mobile OS as of now. Smooth, fast and slick.

JD666, ManISinJpr and SumitB like this.
  19. dbg

Win 8 pro tablet will be too friggin expensive to even consider ..
    the RT tablet will be underpowered and will have tougher competition from ASUS by the time it launches ..

So while these tablets have taken a step in the right direction .. I am not too optimistic about their individual success.
    Also the first iteration never gets it right .. wait for Surface 2 or 3 ..

And finally -- how hackable/moddable is this ??
    Can I dual boot Win 8 & Android ??

20. ManISinJpr

Yes I have this but am not gonna put a restricted MOBILE OS in it when I have the FULL productive OS ;)