News Microsoft to buy Nokia

Discussion in 'News & happenings' started by JD666, Sep 3, 2013.

Share This Page

1. JD666

JD666 RAID Leader Staff Member

And have a right to it's IP or patents for the next 10 years. What this spells out for user privacy and security of information? It's doomed.

Nokia was probably one of the last few, that had minimum intrusion into a user's privacy/data/information. Their Symbian ^3 series of phones would offer smartphone features and apps, without compromising user data.

With Lumia, Nokia did have some control over the software and the functionality. Some great apps were developed by Nokia for the platform.

So what does this look like? End of the road for a much loved brand? Or would it be reduced to the entry level phone segment only. The Asha series have also been taken over by Microsoft.

Most importantly, what does this mean for Navteq, which Nokia owns. Could Microsoft now think of coming out with Bing Maps? Navteq is the authority on maps, considered more accurate and precise than Google maps, though probably not as detailed.

Time to buy that last Nokia, and a tin-foil hat.

Good bye privacy, Good bye user data :D

2. BANHAMMER

BANHAMMER Teh Almighty BanHammer Staff Member

This was bound to happen as soon as they partnered with M$, now it will fall into abyss like other companies which M$ bought.

3. JD666

Well Microsoft got the better end of the deal. They got themselves an awesome brand!

4. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

this is bad news for nokia

5. BANHAMMER

yeah, they are going troll everyone with patents.

6. MOZ

MOZ RAID Leader Staff Member

This is pretty big news, not sure if Nokia should have gone for it. Dreams of a Nokia phone with supreme Android shattered by mere $7 bill. :p

JD666 likes this.
  7. JD666

I think the only thing shattered here is user privacy and data for everyone. With Android, apple and now Windows in the market, there aren't many left, who can guarantee that. Blackberry probably.

8. BANHAMMER

Blackberry LOL. They are bigger sellout than anyone else.

9. JD666

So we are doomed? Time to buy a couple of Nokia 1280s and 1100s??

10. dbg

dbg RAID Staff Staff Member

They might do a firesale and get rid of the feature phones for good.

11. BANHAMMER

You could always get one the base level phones. I wonder if they are going to stop selling on of the low end phones? That would be kiss of the death for them surely.

12. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

so what phone to buy next jd ? i wanted to change my nokia 100.i want a phone which would still use a mini sim not micro sim for my office connection.i was thinking of asha 305 as it has qwerty.whether touchscreen or not does not bother me. iam getting it at 3800 bucks brand new ie if i remember the cost correctly.just find out yesterday. getting 500 bucks for the 100.want to keep the cost really low.typing sms even on t9 text does not work always all the time.that's why i wanted to change.please advise.

13. JD666

Get the Nokia 210, free Whatsapp, Dual Sim, and no micro SIM. Should be cheaper than the asha 305.

14. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

210 was my first choice,but tell me something is it true that after 1 year of activation of whatsapp services,there would be a monthly charge of INR 25 ? checked prices on flipkart 210 is a little bit more expensive but definetly better than 305 because what i do not like about the 305 is its resistive touchscreen.i would avoid using a touchscreen for my office no.210 i would use for heavy office calls & sending messages to customers to call back if they do not respond or their phones are switched off.no data to be used only calls and messages.thanks for the advice JD hopefully i will buy it soon. but what about 205 that costs 3400 at flipkart ?

15. idutt

idutt RAID Rookie

205 is cheaper with a qwerty dual sim phone from nokia can i buy that for my office no.flipkart is giving a price of INR 3400 ? one of our office drivers is using it.

16. JD666

The one that I have (210), has lifetime free Whatsapp.

And Whatsapp is not 25 rs per month. Its 1$ per year. So that's around 60 rs.

17. Rockfella

Rockfella Nordic Staff Member

I think Iball wins here hands down, much better than ipad/pods/phone. None will buy Iball now 'coz everyone has 2 of them anyway.